Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressed Instruments

Most Baby Boomers didn't play in a band in their younger days, but many wish they had. Instead, they went to dental school or something comparable. While daydreaming about what might have been, they...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: NonCountry Bluegrass suggestions?

i'm looking for some jazz that's not so darned jazzy.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Fishman Loudbox by itself or into a board?

If there is someone running the sound, running your signal through the board will help the sound man's ability to get a good mix. A direct out from the Loudbox sends your EQed signal to the board,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Where do you purchase?

The local store in my town is really good about keeping strings in stock if they know what everyone needs. The owner even gives me a call when he gets a new bunch of strings in that he knows I like....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Classic Recordings?

Herschel Sizemore had a great album on County called "Bounce Away" with a bunch of good tunes. If you can find it, John Purk's album "Flight to D.C." has a bunch of cool fiddle tunes. Just about any...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: custom build - what pickup?

A T.K. Smith reproduction of the Bigsby pickup on Tiny Moore's five string would be my first choice. Not cheap, but cool as can be.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando vs. Fiddle in Band

From Iowa City. I think I know who you're talking about in Muscatine. If it's who I'm thinking of, he's an Alabama transplant who is a wonderful fiddler, mandolinist, and guitar man. I've been lucky...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando vs. Fiddle in Band

If you're sensitive about setting your own time when you sing, it will be lots easier to maintain the drive you want if you play the mandolin. On the other hand, playing the fiddle always looks like...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Play for free ...

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I've seen enough to realize that a lot of you are giving it away. Some of us think of this as a problem. First off, you're being taken advantage of....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What key is this song in?

Maybe I take too much for granted, but playing the chords to a three chord song in one key usually means you can play it in any key. To find the right key for me to sing, I just keep moving it up...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Yuuuuge pricetag on used mandostrats...

The economics of scarcity start to kick in as soon as someone says, "They're not making those anymore." It's just like a Lloyd Loar F5 selling for $175,000--is it really 10 times better than a...
  12. Re: Question for others who play guitar &/or bass as well as mand

Hammered dulcimer is always a possibility.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Songs/tunes in Dm

Buck White's tune "Broken Dreams" is a lovely Dm piece. There's mandolin tune on Bob Black's "Ladies on the Steamboat" album written by John Purk called "Flight to D.C." that's in Dm as well. Both...