Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. 12 THINGS I Wish I Knew as a Beginner Mandolinist(interesting vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNxkFDDObL0
  2. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

I have just bought my first mandolin, and this is my very first post on Mandolin Cafe. I’m 67.
  3. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

By the time you're my age, you'll have been playing for 25 years. I am a little more than 3-1/2 years in. Just went to my first jam session recently and am starting my second season with the NH...
  4. Replies
    Views

Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds

This might be my absolute favorite Beatles song from my favorite Beatles album. Here's my solo attempt at it. Most of it played pretty nicely, though trying to squeeze in some of Paul's bass line...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Gordon Lightfoot (no mandolin content)

A fine Top Ten. What you'd expect, and a couple of revelations. ...
  6. Replies
    Views

MerleFest Mando Mania

Chris Henry posted this on Facebutt. CJ Lewindowski, Mike Compton, Tony Williamson, Sam Bush, Chris Henry, Wyatt Ellis. Mighty fine.

https://www.facebook.com/1241456640/videos/946420773473447/
  7. Punch Brothers / Bele Fleck - Christmas Medley

Priceless

https://youtu.be/JdNm2Lxu-bw
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra on Fretboard Journal

For the full effect of this piece, here’s Sierra playing it with Cory Wong and the Wongnotes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPGbj1gFalA

Just a great, joyful piece of music played by a band...
  9. Replies
    Views

Sierra on Fretboard Journal

She really is good, you know.

Well, we all know that of course, but honestly, just watch how she covers the whole of the fretboard, watch how effortlessly she uses her pinky - indeed her whole...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Quick advice for mando purchase needed

Thanks for the replies. The scroll isn’t vital for me. Decided to get the best A that I can. Went in a completely different direction … Collings MT2V.
  11. Re: Article: Looking Forward with Sarah Jarosz

Noting the anniversary of this feature.
  12. Replies
    Views

New Music for Mandolin Orchestra

I was honored to have my compositions read at the 2022 CMSA New Music session in Kalamazoo MI. It is a suite in three movements, each one reflecting a state of mind: AGITATION, MEDITATION, and...
  13. Re: Good Tone - How long does it actually take?

There’s a great story of Julian bream, the great guitarist, giving a seminar and at the end one of the students says, ‘sure you have great tone, but you’ve got a great instrument. How do I get great...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: my eastman G string sounds dull?

Round up the usual suspects, bridge slots and nut slots. A close inspection of the angle the slots are cut, and the slot width can possibly reveal a difference as compared to the other slots. Just...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Old New Guy -Any second day tips?

Welcome to the cafe! Check out the Newbies group; several of us Newbies are Oldies. Mutual support as we learn is what the Newbies do.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Old New Guy -Any second day tips?

My first mandolin was also a Kentucky KM200S. I bought it online, and despite the seller telling me it was ready to go, it had very high action. The bridge saddle was already all the way down, and I...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

Here's Nicks' The New Plow with some pics. I have it as " unlisted ", so the link should be available if copied. :mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WzxnRWf5s
  18. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Technique webinar July 30

Hi there everybody, this is Tim Connell. I am a performing mandolinist and lately a full-time mandolin teacher hard at work helping everyone boost their skills and understand music a little better.
  19. Thread: Rythm

by mbruno
    Replies
    Views

Re: Rythm

I have a few song breakdowns that cover playing the chords in at least 2 positions for a specific songs here https://mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/. I just put one out on June Apple today too...
  20. Thread: Rythm

by Simon DS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Rythm

Here’s a vid #2 I did a couple of years ago. It explains at least some of the main things about doublestops but I don’t talk about 3,5 double stops (mainly because they’re more ambiguous).

21. Free Livestream Concert Tonight (lots of mandolin content)

Hi folks,

My wife and I (aka The Boston Imposters) are doing a free livestream concert tonight at 7:30pm central. We'll be playing lots of our own songs and a couple of borrowed favorites...
  22. 5 Thoughts On The Right Hand And Fast Picking

Just a quick video I made for the start of the new year on the right hand and working up speed.

TKQfLbidNmg

If you have any burning mandolin questions let me know, i want this new video series...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge and strings for a stadolin

I'll leave commentary on bridges to other people, mine came with it's original bridge. I had GHS A250 light strings on it; that is the weight that was recommended for the instrument by the luthier...
  24. Re: Chinese made die cast tailpieces - any good?

I ordered some from China a while ago and although they are reasonably well made (and cheap), the problem is the string loops keep slipping off the posts. The Allen tailpieces have the posts at an...
  25. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

NEVER play through pain. I know a few great players who will never be able to play again as they tried to ‘play through the pain’.

In my book any discomfort is the body telling you to evaluate...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4