Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Thanks my friends! Here's another great John Reischman tune. Thanks to Tim Sweeney for turning me on to John. Thanks for the Listen!~o)~o)~o):mandosmiley: ...
  2. Thread: The Four Seasons

by cjr
    Replies
    Views

The Four Seasons

Happy Friday,
    I'm working through recording my favorite piece of music, Vivaldi's Four Seasons. All mandolin parts are played on my Flatiron 1-N and the viola and portions of the cello parts on my...
  3. Replies
    Views

HI Folks! Here's a Dylan classic. Thanks for the Listen!!:mandosmiley::mandosmiley:~o)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cywZot7KgW8
  4. Re: NMC - Kind of - Guitar like Mandolessons

Wow, Dan, that’s like some *really* strong opinion, lol. I couldn’t disagree more.

But I do like Justin’s work a great deal. Also have a lot of respect for Marty Schwartz.

I disagree with your...
  5. Thread: Hallelujah

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Hallelujah

Yes, I know, this song has been done, redone, used, and abused, and I should have left it alone. However, I decided maybe there was a little room left in the world for a solo mandolin instrumental....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

“Music is a conversation, not a contest” so says Don Julin.
  7. Thread: Swindon

by John Kelly
    Replies
    Views

Swindon

This is a tune I got over on the SAW Group, posted first by John Williamson, and it just took my fancy.
    It is by Northumbrian musician and composer Archie Dagg (1899 - 1990) and the title is the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

Thank you, Bob; it is great to know that Norman and Nancy are doing well. I met them at the 2016 Tennessee Old Time Fiddlers Convention in Athens, AL, where they performed with Joel McCormick and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

@Sue: Another aspect of this is picking the right group to play with, assuming you have a choice. If you're not ready for the speed the fiddlers are playing, is there another jam or session you can...
  10. Thread: Tam Lin

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tam Lin

The Tam Lin legend is ancient, dating back to at least the mid 16th century.
    One of those strange, lurid, and explicit ancient ballads from the British Isles.
    A maiden is walking through the woods,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mendel octaves..

I don't but he does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSe2tzdIi8E
  12. Thread: Tam Lin

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Tam Lin

Sadly, this is one of those tunes that is probably getting a bit tired and worn, but only because it's one of the most rocking reels ever written. If Led Zeppelin would have composed a reel, this...
  13. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The tone when you tune your mandolin to A-G-E-D?
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

Haven't had an after breakfast tune for a wee while. This is Jimmy Shand's classic tune The Bluebell Polka. It was very popular when I was young, indeed it was a great favourite of my mother who...
  15. Replies
    Views

Here's a beautiful Scottish air on the A5 Special. Thanks for the Listen!~o)~o):mandosmiley::mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyNDR45EM44
  16. Replies
    Views

Peat Fire Flame, solo mandola

Here's a solo arrangement of the traditional Scottish tune "Peat Fire Flame," performed on my Pomeroy mandola. Thanks for listening, hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/VLKnJRXVZtc
  17. Replies
    Views

Mrs Jamieson's Favourite

This is a lovely Scottish slow air composed by Charles Grant, a 19th Century fiddler and composer from Morayshire.

My version is on octave, mandolin and guitar and based on an arrangement got from...
  18. Replies
    Views

The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

This is a James Scott Skinner fiddle composition I have adapted to octave mandolin and guitar. The Queen in the title is Victoria, not the recently departed Elizabeth, who passed away very near to...
  19. Replies
    Views

The Nomad (mandola duet)

Here's a tune I picked up from the guitar playing of Dónal Clancy on his album Close to Home. I decided to play the tune in D minor on the mandola and overdub an accompaniment part (also with the...
  20. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

J. C., I don’t think there are any specific exercises for this, you can use any tunes that you know, or scale & arpeggio practice, etc. Here are some tips on how to practice those. These are not “one...
  21. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

I find the better I know the material the lighter I can play. It' like I breeze thru it. If I am learning it on the fly I tend to play harder. Also if you lighten up your fretting hand it will help...
  22. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

Experiment too with different picks. A heavier pick can make you play more lightly as you feel that it needs less picking power to get a good tone. At least I seem to find that! Bren mentions...
  23. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

Learn any tune in 7/8 time. https://youtu.be/GGr0BSYaWR4?feature=shared
    You have to use irregular emphasis at least twice in each measure, on pairs and triples. It makes you constantly assess your...
  24. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

I have a tendency to dig in too much and the first thing I do to counteract it is relax my shoulders and breathe calmly and steadily.
  25. Replies
    Views

Roving on a Winter's Night

First recorded by Doc Watson. I was reminded of the song by Hannah Sanders' and Ben Savage's great recent version.

https://soundcloud.com/user-875085466/roving-on-a-winters-night
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4