Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to build responsiveness in?

Too bad about that human element. ;<)
  2. Replies
    Views

Considering every vibration that the instrument can make is a pretty tall order. Deciding whether any one of those vibrations either contributes to sound or is just wasting energy is an even taller...
  3. Replies
    Views

There are a number of factors contributing to responsiveness in mandolins, or in any plucked string instrument for that matter. How the top and back plates are arched is one factor. The...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

As a side note, I always save all of the offcuts until the build is finished; you never know what is waiting to destroy all the hard work. Torrified spruce vs hungry router bit: a bit of creative...
  5. Replies
    Views

A moment for thanks...

Here's wishing a super, fun, healthy, and family-centric Thanksgiving to all my friends here on MandolinCafe!
    Roger
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Timelapse of building the body of a Brescian/Cremonese mandolin:
    dB-r5-VVvS8
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Nyckelharpa #1 complete. Failed to make a bow on time, so still don't know what it sounds like. Pretty pleased with the aesthetics, though.

8. Thread: Flexibility

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flexibility

Dave: Thx for the mention.

I definitely want to point out that the origins of my method came from seeing one of your earlier mandolins that had a removable back. Yours had ultralight nylon ...
  9. Thread: Flexibility

by Dave Cohen
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flexibility

Back plate stiffness vs top plate stiffness has an impact on the bass/treble balance of an instrument. I don''t like the word "tune", because that can be taken as implying that the parts of an...
  10. Re: The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

Serious thanks to Brad Combs who has listed these 14 PDF files for anyone to download.
    No more emails, no more thumb drives, no more CD's - do it yourself!

Issue #1:...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What effects sound?

To each their own. Seems a bit self-contradictory though, in that you start by asking "What effects sound?", and now say in essence that you don't need anything more complicated than tapping your...
  12. Condino red spruce & Brazilian rosewood octave mandolin

I'm never sure where to post instruments; since I tend to spend the most time in this area, here goes.

This is one from my personal stash that I don't show off very often.

It is a 2014 model...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: French polish and black top finish

You can buy black shellac for pianos.
  14. Replies
    Views

Yup, black base layer, and regular FP on top.
  15. Replies
    Views

If you have sufficient color, let it sit for a few days, and then you can finish it up with a few clear coats.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A5 Mandolin Setup

Set the relief first. If the fret job is accurate enough, my rule of thumb for an A-5 is to fret the instrument simultaneously at the 1st fret and the 12th fret; and go for a clearance of only a few...
  17. Replies
    Views

The Strad/Guarneri Doctor

No mandolin content here, but an excellent article on John Becker, a luthier's luthier. He's considered the leading authority on repairing and maintaining Stradivari violins. ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet

After thinking about for a while, I decided the mandolin quartet should have sunburst finishes, rather than just clear lacquer.

205098 205099
  19. Replies
    Views

Notes from the Condino vault

I've got a huge amount of notes & blueprints that I have made over the last four+ decades of building instruments, in addition to several commercially available blueprints. I've been looking into the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Black Rose Baby build question

I would be thinking about M4 threaded inserts rather than the larger 6mm type used for guitars. The vertical dowel in the heel is a good idea for a couple of reasons. Many German mandolins of that...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet

Some more progress on the quartet. The head overlays have been glued to the necks and the tuner holes drilled. The head overlays are gidgee with flamed blackwood centre strips and ivoroid binding....
  22. Replies
    Views

The Australian Mandolin Quartet

For the past couple of years I have been thinking about building a mandolin quartet, two mandolins, a mandola and a mandocello from (mostly) Australian timbers: King Billy pine for the soundboards,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: water and bending sides

One has to understand how bending wood works.
    First when you bend wood, the outside layer wants to stretch and the inner compress. You must count with strengths of your wood when bending. In most...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner for tap tuning

It was mentioned that this thread has been beat to death yet I see new builders who don’t get it, in my opinion anyway. And some longtime builders. That’s why I post.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Intonation Mystery

Only 5 and 7 are sharp? If it is two frets only, and all strings are sharp at those frets, that is inaccurate frets. If other frets are also sharp, it could be the string nut; either string notches...
Page 1 of 2 1 2