Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Hearing Peter Ostroushko on Prairie Home is one of my first memories as a beginning mandolin player. My wife's family know the Ostroushkos as she grew up in the Twin Cities. Yesterday she recalled...
  2. Replies
    Views

So sad to hear. We have lost too many musicians in the last year.
    The first time I met Peter, he sang a couple of Hank William's songs for me. Completely in Ukrainian. Later that day I ate Red...
  3. Replies
    Views

"Everyone is part of the deal" - That's one of his themes; everyone is included. Peter would have everyone crying at the Prairie Home Companion show because they were invited to sing "You are My...
  4. Replies
    Views

I just now heard the news. I took mandolin lessons from him for seven and a half years before the stroke ended his playing. He was my teacher, my mentor, and my friend. We saw eye-to-eye...
  5. Replies
    Views

GREAT musician........... nicer person!
    We lost a good one......... so sad.
  6. Replies
    Views

I’m saddened to hear of Peter’s passing. His tremolo never fails to touch my emotions as if it is a human voice.
  7. Replies
    Views

It's Sad Day. One of our good ones has passed. Thank you Peter for all you've given. A shining light in the mando world. Beautiful tunes. Beautiful tones. He opened up many doors with that great big...
  8. Replies
    Views

Like those above, I too loved the playing of Peter and enjoyed the several times I could interact with him. Eg. the workshop at the Classical Mandolin convention, mentioned by Doug and John. Years...
  9. Replies
    Views

A huge loss to the mandolin community, and one of my biggest influences. I still have my autographed vinyl copy of Sluz Duz -- great stuff! I think I'll put on Blue Mesa today.
  10. Replies
    Views

I remember the workshop that DougC mentions at the CMSA in Minneapolis and it was a great one. My memory is that we got him to talk a little about the preparation for and recording of the Original...
  11. Replies
    Views

Peter would always 'think first and then say something'. Often we would not say anything for quite a while, ha, ha. We had kind of a strange friendship that way. We never talked about music, only...
  12. Replies
    Views

this takes you to the Discography and Podcast page on Peter's site

https://www.peterostroushko.com/?fbclid=IwAR3P6RdmrwdBpolg-BRBA3FCFX8Lge5WWXRHM02JTSX5W_ll0fPuPEF-GBQ
  13. Replies
    Views

This was sad news to hear this morning. Peter was incredibly gifted on the mandolin as well as the fiddle. I was lucky to have taught a number of mandolin workshops with him at various festivals in...
  14. Replies
    Views

Godspeed, Peter. That was a lot of great music you made and left for us. Thank you.
  15. Replies
    Views

There goes my hero
    Pete was big influence of mine, saw him play many times, he was very down to earth, loved all the diversity he brought to acoustic music
    I still listen to Sluz Duz and The...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: One Mandolin - forever...

Its a very fine thing to have the so called forever "keeper" we live in possibly the greatest mandolin building era ever as there are so many fine builders out there that make such mighty fine...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: One Mandolin - forever...

I'm pretty certain it's going to be the next one that I buy...but maybe the one after that instead...;)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings are you currently playing?

EJ-74 on my MT and A-50. Lights on the Kalamazoo. Those switch between GHS and Mangan monel. The A Jr. has Silk and Steel and not sure I like it. Might get a set of monel.
  19. Replies
    Views

'56 F-12 f hole gets D'A EFT-74 Flat Tops, the '16 F-4 oval hole gets D'A EFW-74 Flat Wound and 2002 Duff H-5 gets D' EFT-76s when I can find them, otherwise D'A EF-76s. Guitars?? I'll have to...
  20. Replies
    Views

I just rummaged in my drawer and somehow pieced together a full set of J74s for a mandolin that had been wearing the same set for about 5 years. They sound so much better. Don't be like me, people:...
  21. Replies
    Views

I just put Curt Mangan "fusion matched" bronze strings on my mandola and mandocello and they are the best sounding strings I've ever used. For my F5 mandolin its been DR Rare for the past couple...
  22. Replies
    Views

I'm devoted to the Siminoffs. My allegiance was formerly to J74s.
  23. Replies
    Views

Am really enjoying a set of GHS A 270s on my Stiver after using J75s. Strong G and D courses with smooth, quiet slides. A has power. The only weakness is that the E seems a bit light. Think I'll go...
  24. Replies
    Views

I use Martin .010 -.034 on my Martin mandolin but am interested in trying something different. I have thought of using Thomastik, Dogal Calace and Elixir. I want to find strings that work well on...
  25. Replies
    Views

1st try w/D'A monels (usu EJ74s). They give a little more crispness and maybe wee bit less woof on the KM900. The former surprised me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3