Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  2. Thread: Tweaked my Mando

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tweaked my Mando

Congratulations on unlocking your mandolin’s potential! I’ve had a few of those moments where a couple of small tweaks make a huge difference. Very satisfying, indeed. Although in my case it was...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tweaked my Mando

Well that's a pretty nice story Dave.
    I'll bet if you told it to your girlfriend across a candlelit dinner table at a fancy expensive restaurant she'd show some enthusiasm.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Stringjoy Strings

I won some Stringjoys and they just arrived in the mail. I will report as soon as I install them in the next few days.

Billy
  5. Replies
    Views

Tombigbee Waltz

I finally decided to get around to learning this tune that a friend kept sending my way. In the process of learning it, I decided it would be fun to play cross-tuned (GDGD) on my octave mandolin. ...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: BOLO stolen Mann SEM-4 Cincinnati area

No.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOT THE BANJO!
  7. Replies
    Views

NK Forster Session King mandolin

A recent build that will be heading out to England soon.

A Session King Celtic O mandolin in European spruce and mahogany.

Video to follow.
  8. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

1- Having started on guitar 6+ decades ago, even today's cheapest instruments are at least decently built. It's as if the bottom 30% of 1970's market just vaporized.

2- "Set-up" is continually...
  9. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

Honestly, the selection is still better than it was twenty years ago. Entry-level mandolins are at least playable.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues in the Bottle

I enjoyed that, Dave. I first heard Blues in A Bottle done by the Lovin' Spoonful. Here's Prince Albert Hunt's Texas Ramblers' version:
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues in the Bottle

Fun version - thanks.

I recall the Holy Modal Rounders version was fairly faithful to the Prince Albert Hunt original but featured a new verse and a half.
  12. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe F-5G tribute documentary

We have the final edit posted of our mini documentary about Bill Monroe's July 9 Gibson F-5 featuring David Harvey, George Gruhn and others discussing the impact of the world's most famous mandolin....
  13. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe F-5 tribute documentary

We have the final edit of our mini documentary about Bill Monroe's July 9 Gibson F-5 featuring David Harvey, George Gruhn and others discussing the impact of the world's most famous mandolin.
  14. Replies
    Views

Pretty Little Dog - mandola "duet"

Here's an old-time tune that I recently became acquainted with. Hope you like this slowed down, D minor version.

https://youtu.be/TZfEjDt-HWc
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Oddities

That is a Tahitian ukulele. Read more here.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Hi Rick - I hope that you enjoy your Weber as much as i enjoyed mine. They're terrific mandolins by any standard. Unfortunately,the type of Cancer that i have is pretty severe,so holding on to any...
  17. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #43

James Kelly was mandolin player for and leader of the Nashville Washboard Band, who made a few non-commercial recordings for the Library of Congress in 1942, at the home of the musical scholar, John...
  18. Replies
    Views

my dad and Bill Monroe

not my dad, not my post, but

this is a post on the AGF, thought it would be appropriate to cross pollinate. sent the OP a PM on the AGF hoping they will come over here and join in this thread.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

Hang on to your hats for this bit of news. What I'm told is Byron and his crew are going to post and confirm this on the web as well, where I don't know but I'd guess on Facebook:

Byron's Loar was...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony H35 Mandolin Chicago

Hey Headstock - congratulations - sounds like a great find! Can you post some photos?
  21. i can imagine this slightly smaller and with two mandolins inside

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5983890&posted=1#post5983890

thoughts would be to entertain a side drawer pullout so the instruments access from the side, and the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: American-made F-body mandolins around $2,500

Thanks to all for their thoughtful advice. In the end, I went with the approach Br1ck suggested: narrow down my choices, take a leap of faith, and pounce. I bought the Glenn mandolin that was...
  23. Replies
    Views

Mando Uke conversion

Take one Eddie Finn 8 string ukulele (the neck is 1.75" wide), and yank nylon strings. Install a selection of Silk'nSteel strings and tune as a mandolin. Set action buttery smooth and low for ease of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins have ruined my ears

The mandolin is a spoiler for sure.

Once done you can never go back...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins have ruined my ears

I remember watching Tiny Tim marry Miss Vicki on the tonight show, so we must be from a similar era. Once you have heard Tiptoe Thru the Tulips, it can never be forgotten!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4