Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

Will be there too with a couple mandolins - A Sullivan and either a Ruhland or a Heiden and a vintage guitar or two. Would love to jam with folks who like to play instrumental fiddle tunes, jigs and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Compton playing my Heiden A5

"Old square head" sounds great in Mike's hands and yours too Don!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Robert Crumb on Mandolin

208305 Thought I'd share a pic of this print I have of Crumb with playing a mando. It was done by the illustrator Drew Friedman, a long time friend of Crumb's
  4. Re: Does anyone have experience or advice about finger rehabilita

Hey Steve - I had a similar accident and surgery 10 years ago. Couldn't touch an instrument for about 2 years without serious discomfort. I began the PT and rehab right away after the surgery...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman's Opry debut

Great picking by these guys...and, Jake Eddy is a monster flat picker!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Anybody dealt with Vintage Gintage

Bob is a reputable dealer - straight shooter
  7. Re: An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

I agree Olaf - the Griffith Loar has some special chemistry and mojo going on that luthiers can talk about in a more technical way...it does differ in design from most A5's...but subjectively, it is...
  8. Re: An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

201132 Roy's top
  9. Re: An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

FYI the group mando photo includes: The Griffith Loar, a copy of the Griffith Loar that Max Girouard built in collab with Bruce Harvie, Andrew's Nugget and Gilchrist F5's, my Ruhland F5 #35 and a...
  10. An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

https://youtu.be/FqcVKoA6ZLs

Thought folks might enjoy seeing photos from an afternoon picking session over at Matt Ruhland's place yesterday (and a truck...
  11. Recently discovered documentary footage from the Gibson factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-zOaOYB120

Just a short glimpse of mandolin building in the custom shop toward the end - anybody recognize the builders?...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy St. Patrick's day!!

That was awesome. My favorite Gunnar was #10 who went to the fridge for a bite!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Ruhland Eye Candy

Hey Reid, that A5 is going to be Matt's personal mandolin. Last couple of times he included a mandolin for himself in a batch, someone convinced him to sell it. He claims it won't happen this...
  14. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

Paul Duff builds incredible mandolins - as Josh said, they stand up to the best - and somehow they remain a bit under-appreciated. I have a 2017 Duff A5 that I sold in an attack of stupidity a year...
  15. Replies
    Views

Some bluegrass virtuosity vintage 1975

Since we lost JD and Tony this year, I thought I'd post this fantastic New South recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF1lGG8FoOQ

Pretty good live recording and some amazing picking
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the best room/apt humidifier?

I run a Venta airwasher in winter in my home studio where all my instruments are. It humidifies and pulls dust and other crap out of the air at the same time. The instruments love it
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Halsey's last F-5

Nice slice of mando history...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin's Mando on "Harvest Moon"

I always wondered how that wear pattern happened directly under the strings. That happened before I owned that Nugget...and I no longer own it. It was a great instrument, but with its Doug Fir top...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's hear your BEST musical joke?

Q: why are there no banjos in Star Wars?
    A: 'cause it's the future!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: A Ruhland A5 for sale on Matt's website

You're right Reid - Matt got a call a few minutes after I started this thread and sold the mandolin. And true, Matt came over and traced Ella's headstock for your mandolin. Very cool - hope you're...
  21. Replies
    Views

Dawg Trio in Portland last night

197541 A great show last night at the Aladdin in Portland. I think David said this was his first performance in 2 years. He did a bunch of new material they had never performed before including a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Two mandolins from the same maker

Here is my Heiden pair. Heritage A and Artist F. Both have the lush Heiden overtones and the quick responsiveness. The A is lighter and less bass dominant. I'm lucky to have these two axes 197057
  23. Thread: Ruhland A5

by EvanElk
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ruhland A5

what a pretty sunburst he did on that one
  24. Thread: Griffith Loar

by EvanElk
    Replies
    Views

Re: Griffith Loar

Check out Max Girouard's blog that AJH posted earlier in the thread https://girouardmandolins.wordpress.com/the-griffith-project/
  25. Thread: Griffith Loar

by EvanElk
    Replies
    Views

Re: Griffith Loar

I do - And I think of it more as caretaking Ella... and I've been trying to get her into lots of different talented hands for playing and recording. Bruce and I launched a recording project right...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4