Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Very early depiction of a tenor guitar!

Judging by the design - holes, tail piece, shape of the waist, the fact it has five strings at the bridge despite 4 tuning pegs - I might have guessed viol or cello. There also appears to be a bow...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on J. Bovier mandolins, please

Another ELS owner. I've described it as the one thing I'd quickly grab in a fire. Such a wonderful little instrument. It just looks, sounds, and plays awesome, and it turned a growing...
  3. Re: Where do the names F-style and A-style actually come from?

Apologies if I struck a collective nerve, it would seem I didn't do my research of past discussions on the topic well enough. Though I appreciate all the replies and the sense of humor.
  4. Where do the names F-style and A-style actually come from?

I've been playing a solid 11 years or something, so I feel a bit silly asking.

In my head I tell myself that if I squint hard enough I can roughly see the shape of the letter A or F (this one less...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Okay, I honestly need to know...

If you could be a bit more specific as to what sort of thing you are looking for, we could maybe point you in more specific directions? Like, is there a particular song or genre you're looking for,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: OT-ish: fiddle pickin' ?

I'd second pretty much all of this, even though my violin is nothing fancy. Though violin is probably still my "primary" instrument.

That, and many years ago I may or may not have broken a violin...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Greetings, new mando player

Welcome! Anything is okay as long as it sounds good to you, and (to a lesser degree, depending on what you're doing) those around you. It's good to learn about common practices and follow the advice...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Who makes a good Fiddle/Mandolin case?

This seems odd, I feel like the extra padding would still be good to have especially given the convex shape of the back.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Wegen vs. Primetone vs. Clown Barf

I actually just recently bought both a Wegen TF140 (bevelled) and a Primetone 513. Also currently testing out flatwounds on an Eastman MD315. I'm really undecided. I find the difference subtle, but...
  10. Thread: B7b9

by TonyEarth
    Replies
    Views

B7b9

I was following along with the Autumn Leaves from the Real Book and came upon the B7b9 chord.

My understanding is:

B: B D# F#
    B7: B D# F# A
    B7b9: B D# F# A C

Is that right? I've been...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Right arm placement

Right, I'm certainly no expert but I've heard a good pick angle is favorable as it helps the pick sort of move "through" the string, and is why some picks have that sort of asymmetric bevel (which...
  12. Re: You may find this amusing.....but beware!......nearly 2 hours

I find it Almusing, even... good stuff.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Width Preference?

As a violinist a voice in the back of my head wants to say I prefer a narrower nut, but in reality I think I'm happy to play and adapt to any nut width.

I wouldn't say this comes up less in the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: First mandolin

For what it's worth, Allen's point of the set up is really important. My first mandolin was a really cheap Rogue (not a recommendation, just an anecdote), with no real set up work at all. It even had...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Newb's first day

Make sure not to push it! Give your fingers time to heal. It's more important long-term to have healthy fingers than to do something that might exacerbate the issue. To that point, I'd say...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New picks and pick noise

I actually saw a few of the picks you guys mention in the following video, including the Blue Chip and the Clown Barf. I considered checking that one out, but it seems they're sold out at the moment:...
  17. Replies
    Views

New picks and pick noise

I normally using a fender 351(?) heavy pick, which I've been using pretty much since I learned to play the mandolin (maybe 10ish years?). I think somebody got me a big pack of them and they're kinda...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin 8 string or 4 string

Damn, those are beautiful Magnus