Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: James tailpiece engraving

Weldon Lister did this for my Kimble 2 point a few years ago. Great guy to work with and he does great work. If I ever part ways with this Kimble, the tailpiece isn’t going with it! :) Too bad if...
  2. Re: Stroboclip Tuner TL;DR Tale told by an idiot*, Part 765:

I currently have three Stroboclips, a Strobostomp, and a Stroboplus. Love Peterson tuners lol.
  3. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

Sorry but I have no idea.
  4. Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

At $350-$420, these cases aren’t cheap (to me, at least, but then I’ve never bought $600-$2000 cases), but I’ve been wanting ONE case to carry both a mandolin and violin to jams or on trips. I was...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Monster sound on this mando

I love Jarrod’s playing. He has a nice interview on Mandolins and Beer podcast. https://mandolinsandbeer.com/the-mandolins-and-beer-podcast-175-re-return-of-jarrod-walker-billy-strings/?amp=1
  6. Re: Differences between Kentucky and Eastman A products

I’ve owned multiple models from both brands. In general I’ve preferred the looks of the Kentucky mandolins but the sound and playability of the Eastmans. I did read more than once of store owners...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a mandola?

I didn’t think I needed a mandola till I “accidentally” played an Eastman MDA315 at the store. The deep voice really grabbed me and I called my wife and asked if she wanted to buy it for my Christmas...
  8. Re: Does anyone own one of the Eastman varnish finish mandolins?

A couple of years ago I went on a road trip from Kansas City to a couple of music stores in southern Missouri where some nice mandolins were in stock. I played some nice Collings, Gibson, Eastman,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to Violin

I played mandolin before fiddle. I love both, but I do find the mandolin a lot easier to play decently than the fiddle. GDAE, the strings are tuned the same (at least until you decide to play your...
  10. Re: Trouble with my mandolin not agreeing with my straps

I was reading Jill’s post above and that made me go back and analyze my mandolin hold. Sure enough, my right forearm keeps the mandolin from pivoting toward the headstock. My left hand provides a...
  11. Re: Solved! Follow-up to "A pecal tuner question"

Hmmm. I guess I’d need to see a connection diagram, lol. You have one signal chain for the tuner to be at the end of? How do you connect your four instruments? What is at the beginning of your signal...
  12. Re: Solved! Follow-up to "A pecal tuner question"

Good to hear!

Just curious why you couldn’t put your tuner at the beginning of your signal chain?

Also, by the way, I’ve personally found the Petersons easy to use (I have about four of their...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: tree poaching / instruments

There is an interesting interview with Bruce Harvie - “Orcas Island Tonewoods” on the “Rosin the Bow” podcast with Joe McHugh. Some of the interview discusses the problem of theft of tone woods,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

I’m sorry this thread has become an argument over notation... BUT, I do have a few comments, lol (and fiddle is actually mentioned).

First, in my experience with casual musicians in the folk and...
  15. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I had a Pisgah Wonder. 25.5” scale, 11” pot. It was a gorgeous instrument with flamed maple that highly appealed to these mandolin eyes! I liked the shorter scale. I think I would have preferred the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Another difference in the fiddle world vs mandolin/guitar/banjo world is the lack of brand awareness. Nothing on the headstock to show that you have that “amazing instrument.” I imagine that makes it...
  17. Replies
    Views

I posed a question on the Fiddle Hangout to see how common it might be for “fiddlers” to buy expensive violins. I understand that there are always folks with disposable income or professional players...
  18. Replies
    Views

Mandolin world vs fiddle world

After two years of immersion in the mandolin world, this past six months I’ve been reacquainting myself with banjo and fiddle. Here are some observations about the mandolin world vs the fiddle world:...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge upgrade on new Eastman mando?

I put a Cumberland bridge on an American-made mandolin and it made a significant improvement. Based on that, I put a Cumberland bridge on my Eastman MD315, but couldn’t tell ANY improvement in that...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Santa brought a new tailpiece!

He showed me some designs and I chose one for the cover and one for the body piece. He was willing to customize the designs, but I loved what he already had. The biggest issue was whether to go gold...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Santa brought a new tailpiece!

I love this strap, too. Bought it used from MandoMutt. I like the knots, but I also like that it cinches down tight to the endpin.

22. Replies
    Views

Santa brought a new tailpiece!

Weldon Lister engraved tailpiece on my Kimble 2 point! (THAT is an understanding wife, lol.)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: McClung Armrest

I have three - two flamed maple and one ebony. Love them!
  24. Thread: Key of Bb

by Doug Brock
    Replies
    Views

Re: Key of Bb

Main chords besides those you mentioned are Cm, Dm, Gm, Adim. For modal songs you’ll need Ab. I’m not sure what you mean by “alternate chord.” (I’m not sure why didn’t Google this. You could have...
  25. Replies
    Views

Eastman MD815/V in classifieds

Last year, I spent a day playing lots of nice mandolins at Morgan Music and the Acoustic Shoppe, including Gibsons, Collings, Northfields, and Webers from $3k to $10k. The one mandolin that dropped...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4