Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Open right hand to closed fist transition help

Put a pick between your pinky and ring finger,this will ensure your hand is in a "fist" position. Make sure the main part of the pick is inside the fist and not outside scratching on the instrument!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

Yes. (well….I can, anyway).

But the issue is also "are you willing to learn to think musically?" My teaching experience is that women students are less skeptical (or hostile even) to things...
  3. Replies
    Views

Being a huge fan of Nate Lee (great guy, great teacher, great artist, and he'll be a great Dad) I read his recommended book, "The Practice of Practice" which addresses the issue under debate. The...
  4. Replies
    Views

The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten is entirely based on the idea of learning musicality instead of how to play a musical instrument. In it the teacher Michael says that he cannot teach the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Thanks Nate, for the welcome and the reading list... and congrats on the baby!

Should also probably clarify that the mandolin is my second instrument-- started very young on the cello and kept...
  6. Replies
    Views

To keep with the analogy to visual arts—

In learning to draw you really need to learn to see. To play music, you also need to listen and hear. A large part of what musicality is, I think, to use...
  7. Replies
    Views

Yes you can teach musicality. The people we think of as having it naturally still learned it from their environment. Something as simple as staying on the beat is part of musicality. If you get a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic question

Fastest way for you to pick it up would be to get Nate Lee's DVD or download https://thenatelee.weebly.com/. I picked it up at Kaufman Kamp and it will definitely get you going on pentatonics.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: I may need to change my next purchase

Doc:

I tried some of Pava's instruments at Wintergrass in 2017. They were all excellent.

Sorry to point out the obvious (or near obvious) but when you solicit info about a maker in this way...
  10. Re: Playing mandolin has improved my fiddle playing-ALOT !

Nate, yep, that's what I was getting at. With no frets on a fiddle, people who learn only on the fiddle can easily get lost in terms of what notes they're playing, or the intervals between them. It...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: overnight improvements?!

If you're interested in a good read as a starting point I would recommend having a read of Phantoms in the Brain by V.S.Ramachandran. It gives a good insight into how malleable the brain & self are...
  12. Re: Where to find Mel Bay Mandolin Sessions archive?

If you go to the Wayback Machine, it's an internet archive, they probably have most of them.

https://archive.org/web/

Example:...
  13. Re: Where to find Mel Bay Mandolin Sessions archive?

Perhaps Joe Mendel will chime in. If anyone knows, he probably will. He used to write for them.
  14. Replies
    Views

Inside the Ellis and Pava Workshop

Hello fellow Cafe friends and Happy New Year.

My wife and I travelled over the holidays to New Orleans and San Antonio before stopping in Austin for a few days. I had reached out to Ellis...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Pava F5!

I posted earlier to this thread...complimented Nate's new instrument and gave a nod to DataNick's observation about MAS...

Just browsing through and noticed half of my reply is missing for some...
  16. Replies
    Views

Now you need a Pava oval to complete the sound samplings ...

there is a Pava oval at Elderly I have my eye on, priced just a tad bit high for me.
  17. Re: Name the top three things that have made you a better Mandoli

I am to new and green to give a "personal" answer as I haven't really improved yet. Any way here are my thoughts as to what will help me improve over time based on feedback from my instructor.
  18. Replies
    Views

Thanks for sharing that ~ really good!
  19. Replies
    Views

nice!
  20. Re: My one beef with Waverly mando tuners: Cylindrical string pos

No doubt some use this method from Frank Ford's www.frets.com.
  21. Replies
    Views

Congratulations...a great looking and great sounding mandolin...enjoy!
  22. Replies
    Views

Lovely F5. I'm very curious as to how the A and the F siblings differ in sound, and would love to hear a side-by-side YouTube comparison.
  23. Replies
    Views

Great sounding mandolin!!!!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Chopping: what to do for the on beat

What I do will change, depending on how fast the tune is moving, and what other instruments are involved.

If it's just me chopping with one other player (no guitar or bass providing a strong...
  25. Replies
    Views

My New Pava Pro

Pava Pro #197, purchased new from Seth Rippey in Lockhaven, Pa. Love it! Great setup as well as fit and finish. Sounds great. Wonderful round neck (don't like sharp V's). Beautiful blonde with ebony...
Page 1 of 2 1 2