Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Hester A5z mandolin

While I have never met Darryl in person, through our shared interest in vintage Gibson mandolins we have communicated a lot and become good friends. Darryl has always been very generous and gracious...
  2. Replies
    Views

My new Hester A5z mandolin

This has been a project many years in the making.

At first, I asked Gail to make me an A2z

We grew a mind to mind awareness of what we were trying to do

But after I bought a nice A2z, the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon Photos

More album pics.146880146884
  4. Replies
    Views

Album cover photos 146876 146882146885146886
  5. Replies
    Views

Bit late to the party. Repost of a B&W Maurice Seymour of Dave A that graces my walls..

6. Replies
    Views

I'll give it a go.

http://i.imgur.com/eZoUJrj.jpg
  7. Replies
    Views

This is the best I could do.
  8. Replies
    Views

Here's perhaps a more accurate color version of the photo of Dave holding the two Gibsons. It's great to see the interest in one of the true giants of our instrument and perhaps the first mandolin...
  9. Replies
    Views

Mucho thanks to Tom for all the additional Apollon photos and trivia: a real wealth of info shared here!
  10. Replies
    Views

So... I read the Appolon article in the MWN issue, I have it here.. but it ends in the 40's. As Allan stated, his hey day of vaudville was waaaay over by the 50's... so... did he die poor? A sort of...
  11. Replies
    Views

From www.mandoisland.de
  12. Re: curious about 1960's Gibson A-5(the type Jethro Burns played)

I've got one, from 1958. It has a very thick top, warped braces, but it is playable. I played it for years before I bought my 'teens A-1, which has a much better sound. Here is a link to the old...
  13. Replies
    Views

I feel you guys are correct, but, I am not sure that's where Tom was going. I think he was tracking a timeline of a different type of mandolin playing or style, than the Monroe school. ( Bluegrass in...
  14. Replies
    Views

After I had been playing Mandolin for a number of years, my dad asked me if I ever heard of a guy named Dave Apollon. By that time I had. He said he saw him on stage once. He didn't remember a lot of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The History of Gibson Violins

Sometimes "Cool factor" is pretty valuable. And the label would be pretty cool.
    I kind of envy my grand children taking their trip to visit the "Aunty" in SC next week, I would love to stop and meet...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: F5LOAR ( Tom Isenhour) article

wow, that was such a cool video, thanks F5!

d
  17. Re: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

I'll be honest. The only reason I have my TPR60 is that it was a gift from a mandolin playing friend. That being said, now that I've used it, I'd gladly spring for the $35 myself if (God forbid) I...
  18. Re: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

Here, here. Possibly a top 10 post of the year, this above.

You can drive into any trailer park in the country and there'll be a tricked out pristine mini-truck with a $30K+ Bass Pro boat hooked...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: David Mclaughlin

Hello and thanks for the kind words, people. Yes, I do like the way old dead strings sound on this particular F-5, but not with every brand of string. Some strings sound really bad or fall apart...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

A buddy of mine was playing some more of this album for me over the weekend (he downloaded it from iTunes). That was my impression exactly. It sounded like typical Alan Jackson music, but with a...
  21. Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Maybe Ice T, Ice Cube, Vanilla Ice, Eminem, Kayne West, etc.... Could break into bluegrass next? Throw some Hannah Montana twerkin all over the mandolin neck wouldn't that be great! That'll introduce...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

I'm betting that the main point of objection to AJ's entry into bluegrass can be summed up in the following sentence:

"He hasn't paid his dues."

Lots and lots of other fine artists are in the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar forgery / fake Serial # 80263

Yeah, well I'm glad for one you "amateur" sleuths are here putting the word out... I'm new enough I can't tell without your guidance, so it warms my heart to know all you guys and gals are here......
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar Restoration

I think lots of vintage instrument owner/players are pretty savvy & educate themselves on matters pertaining to their instruments. If I owned a very expensive instrument (eg Lloyd Loar F5), I...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up at Gibson Mandolins?

Hello all, sorry I missed your last email Billy.
    It never ceases to amaze me how incorrect the rumor mill can be. No truth to this latest that Gibson mandolin production is down to one or less...
Page 1 of 2 1 2