Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Sinéad O'Connor

No one compares to her. What a fabulous, thrilling, emotionally charged performance. One for the ages. Now she's for the ages. :(

Rest in peace, restless soul.

0-EF60neguk
  2. Replies
    Views

Sinéad O'Connor

RIP.

https://youtu.be/_gTppAHVy28
  3. Replies
    Views

Paddy Fahy's No. 6 (jig)

I love the way Paddy Fahy often plays around with the modality of his tunes, typically by messing with the 3rd and 7th scale degrees. (The 7th, in the case of this particular tune.)

Thanks for...
  4. Replies
    Views

serious blues mando here

best vid found in a long time on the tube

solo blues mandolin ... love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFge96aYTvs
  5. Re: Comments on the Value of Gibson A4 Mandolin with hard case

1918 was a "mixed bag" for the Handel tuners. My 1918 H-2 mandola (#47496) has original Handel tuners, but I've seen many of that year both with and without them, more the latter. I suspect Gibson...
  6. Re: Where do the names F-style and A-style actually come from?

I always thought it was called an F because of the F-holes, and an A for similar reasons.
  7. Thread: Thile Pick Grip

by AlanN
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thile Pick Grip

Post #4 reminds me of the girls in The Shining.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando website to sunset soon

Ted's leadership as this forum's chief moderator has been instrumental in the Cafe's enduring online presence so this change, of which I've been aware of for some time, gives me heartburn and then...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando website to sunset soon

Ted,

Thank you again and again for all you've done for the mandolin, at JazzMando.com, here at the Cafe, in Getting Into Jazz Mandolin, FFcP, instrument,pick,and string design, support of...
  10. Replies
    Views

JazzMando website to sunset soon

With very much mixed emotions, I’m announcing the JazzMando website will be shutting down permanently in the next few weeks. It’s been a good run, nearly two decades, but the cost of upgrading its...
  11. Re: Post a photo of your 70s-early 80s Sobell, Abnett, etc.

My "I think we figured 1977" Sobell Mandolin with blue Vader-Shag case. It's my baby!
    I replaced the tuners in the mid 80s and the case handle a few years ago, all else is original.

12. Replies
    Views

Buyer does not cover PayPal fees

Irks me to no end when I see ads in the classifieds that state things like, "Buyer pays PayPal fees" - when this is meant to convey that the seller accepts PayPal, but he's going to charge a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

About that Northfield case...

14. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Making a Living as a Musician

Someone is going to post this. It might as well be me:

Would you like to play the guitar?
    Carry money home in a jar
    From a coffeehouse or a bar,
    Or would you rather get a job?

A job is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson duo - F4 and H4

Two new additions to the Mark Lynch Collection just back from the luthier where they both received some gentle set-up adjustments. Tobin, thanks for the mandola string recommendations. The H4 was...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Undocumented Loar? Gibson Style H-5 Mandol

NOTE - THIS WRITER IS THE CONSIGNOR OF THE GIBSON H-5 MANDOLA, SIGNED BY LLOYD LOAR (LOT 327) & THE GIBSON H-2 MANDOLA (LOT 328), BOTH OF WHICH ARE BEING AUCTIONED BY SKINNER THIS COMING SUN., NOV....
  17. Re: Using a capo to make string changes easier...

One at a time? Of course! Is there another way?

I don't use a peg winder either. I put the string on, grasp the peg head firmly, and twirl the instrument around over my head. I've broken a few...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuners on Mando / Opinions

Have a nice day.
  19. Re: 25,000+ 78RPM Records for Free Download... Help Find the Best

Bluegrass fans known this tune because Earl Scruggs recorded it. But listen to this version of the Farewell Blues:

click here.
  20. Elijah Moore - 2017 Galax - Youth Mandolin

Playing Salt Creek at Galax 2017 with my friend Gabe backing me up. I placed second in youth mandolin (and Gabe got first in youth guitar). :grin:

https://youtu.be/jZhN4gEm4gI
  21. Replies
    Views

Collings F Mandolin Case

This is in part a tribute to Bill Collings. 3-4 months ago I ordered a Collings F mandolin case knowing they were backed up on orders. Like a few people, I knew he had struggles with cancer but was...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: White Mandolins

I don't post very often but I thought I'd chime in to say I'm the proud owner of White #5.Tyler was such a pleasure to work with. We talked about the build throughout the whole process. I have...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: White Mandolins

And here are a couple of videos I shot haphazardly upon first receiving the mandolin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TuHJTgaiJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W3EWxMytto
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Melody in Irish Sessions

Being able to play up to speed on your own and playing up to speed in a session are two different things I find. Once you add the new variable of other players (and the distraction of other players!)...
  25. Dusty Windowsill, Monaghan Jig & Crèche Jig on mandolin & mandola

Video of my partner performing The Dusty Windowsill, The Monaghan Jig, The Crèche Jig on Mandolin, Octave Mandola, and Guitar. He just got the mandola, so he's been having a lot of fun with it :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2