1. Replies
    Views

Adam Steffey sighting

Just saw this recent post on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/49F-S2MsUQ8
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What's gong on with my mandolin?

I had a similar sound coming from a used mandolin that I bought last year and eventually found that the slot in the SADDLE (rather than the expected nut) was angled incorrectly (string not sitting...
  3. Replies
    Views

I think this may be it. If the video is paused at 47-48 seconds, the two A strings can be seen pushed together as the note is fingered at the 5th fret.

My first thought was the string rattling...
  4. Replies
    Views

Get Rob Meldrum's free setup book and a set of feeler gauges and check all your clearances. Then get some aluminum flat bar stock and cut some small lengths so you can span three frets high and low...
  5. Replies
    Views

That should be pretty quick to indentify in person. Find the most offensive note (best if an open string). And keep playing it while touch tuners, the tailpiece, other strings...

Once you rule...
  6. Replies
    Views

I once had a loose truss rod in my mandolin. The setup did not require the truss rod to pull back, but it was way to loose and the nut or washer vibrated when I played. Gently tightening the truss...
  7. Replies
    Views

If your tuner buttons are held on with screws, make sure they are tight.
  8. Replies
    Views

I agree with pops1 on both observations. I watched the video around 50 seconds a few times. I also think the nut slot angles could be doing that but that would produce buzzing only on open strings....
  9. Replies
    Views

One thing to check is your tuning. Sometimes you can be just a little bit off between the pairs, and you will get that ringy tone. That said, the weather has certainly changed in the Northeast, and...
  10. Replies
    Views

If the O rings on the James tailpiece get dried out, the cover won't close tightly and could vibrate. Apply a little petroleum jelly to them every few string changes.
  11. Replies
    Views

First of all you fingers are fretting past the frets, try and stay behind the frets when you play. Second there are several times when your ring finger is pushing the A strings closer together when...
  12. Replies
    Views

As mentioned, the James tailpiece is hinged but must be adjusted to the particular instrument.
  13. Replies
    Views

This was my first thought as I had a guitar that would make this sort of sitar sound from the B and E strings when played open. I watched the video but could not tell if your buzzing sound is only...
  14. Replies
    Views

That is a customized James tailpiece. The cover and tailpiece are one (hinged) and there are built in dampers to prevent the problems that are being brought up. Whatever the issue I doubt that it is...
  15. Replies
    Views

. . . . or it could just be that the tailpiece cover is loose - try making sure that it is firmly in place . . . that usually works for me.
  16. Replies
    Views

I agree with Al. You may also wish to check the tailpiece itself. Is it firmly in place, and is there some dampening between it and the strings?
  17. Replies
    Views

I think you are getting sympathetic vibrations from the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. I'd lace a piece of leather through the strings to dampen it and see if the problem resolves.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: $3000 limit Weber, Collings, Pava or?

Something about the juxtaposition of these two statements captures the essence of MAS.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: No Power Tool Mandolin

+1 for Narex chisels. They are excellent, pro-quality tools which will last a lifetime. And they cost under $10 apiece. Not bad for something you could hand down to your grandkids in perfect working...
  20. Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

Well Ivan, I do understand your opinion. I just do not share it.

I think there is a noticable difference in clarity (up front), tonality and carrying power between Thile´s Dudenbostel and his...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

I don't buy into the "diminishing return" part of the OP's post because it's highly subjective and it is not up for someone else to decide if a person has some type of" diminishing return" on there...
  22. Replies
    Views

Apitius #117 Review (Long)

In November of 2016 I saw Dave Benedict’s video of him playing Waltzing Matilda his new Apitius. I was blown away by the tone, and try as I might I could not get it out of my mind. I had no real need...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New Apitius - Teaser Pics

Well, it's finally done! Oliver says: "It sure represents the Apitius sound at its best." The top was bought from Roger Siminoff's private stock when he retired, and has the the best strength to...
  24. Replies
    Views

The Star-Spangled Banner

The American national anthem, lyrics (1814) of the American lawyer Francis Scott on a music of the English composer John Stafford Smith, in my arrangement for classical guitar....
  25. Thread: Skaggs

by Spruce
    Replies
    Views

Re: Skaggs

Yep...
    Ya'll might enjoy this...
    Emmylou and Ricky came out to our little island in 1979, and I managed to snag a recording of it...
    Ricky's playing a Loar...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3