Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Original Orville Gibson mandolin video.

I thought you all might enjoy this video we made about a really cool piece of Gibson history featuring a mandolin built and signed by Orville Gibson himself! We've got it hanging in our shop on loan...
  2. Re: 6 Vintage Gibsons on the cover of Norman & Nancy album

The people: Norman turned 84 last month. He and Nancy retired from performing several years ago. They are both in good health and stay close to home. I believe that Norman is working on another...
  3. Re: How many different F5’s does Dave Apollon play in these Vitap

Bandurrias

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandurria#:~:text=The%20bandurria%20is%20a%20plucked,found%20in%20former%20Spanish%20colonies.

I think his band used the Filipino versions.
  4. Re: National Mandolin Tailpiece, repair or replace?

Any jeweler who does repairs can do this very easily. Will probably sand off the plating (on the inside, right at the corner) before silver soldering. Ask them to make an angle piece the full width...
  5. Re: National Mandolin Tailpiece, repair or replace?

The product discussed in the thread above is at Elderly

https://www.elderly.com/products/resonator-mandolin-tailpiece?variant=26854207225920
  6. Re: A Gibson A3 in the white. In the white — get it?

JB, it's yours. Do whatever you think will look the best and make you happy. Hope it turns out to be a good sounding instrument and you get plenty of pleasure from it.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: NE Virginia/D.C. area repair

Just got two mandos back from Marc Glickman. He brought them both back to life and at a very modest cost to me. He and Kelly sure have my recommendation: fine work from fine people.
    Thanks to the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Left-Handed 3-Point F4 Mandolin

I thought I'd share these photos of a rare left-handed F4 that sold here in New Zealand 3 years back.

It was me bidding against another guy - I wanted to buy on spec (I'm right handed) with the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New (antique) mandolin day!

Good looking black top Gibson you have Mark!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar Case Handle Restoration Inquiry

Here's a handy tool for opening and closing the d-ring: ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Flat Head Cog Screws-Found a source!

This thread about a Martin mandolin with Waverly tuners would be worth posting a link on as the owner was missing these screws. It is a recent thread and if you post a link to this or repeat your top...
  12. Thread: My New Baby

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: My New Baby

For goodness sake, man, liberate a few bucks from your wallet and buy a couple of sets of strings.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Worm under, Worm over? A visual guide.

Here is big quiz.... pics from Rubner website... https://www.rubnertuners.com/f-style-mandolin-new
    Which of these are wrong?
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Worm under, Worm over? A visual guide.

The tuner is supposed to be "worm under" but the gear is cut with left haded worm so they will turn opposite to normal direction. But this tuner cannot be disassembled so a dud.
    Schallers...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: String compensation question

The usual formula for the frequency of an ideal string, f, is given by this:

f = (1/2L) * SQRT(T/mu)

where L is the string length, T is the string tension, and mu is the linear mass density...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A Jr. Natural

Well, I think you good folks have convinced me to leave them alone, for several reasons. One being that it will provide very little in the way of enhancing value. And as far as sound is concerned,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Rubner tuners are back

The tuners I see in the pics on the link posted by Mike look like they have the wrong turning direction for "worm under" configuration.
  18. Replies
    Views

Gibson catalogs

Found this site that has some cool older Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Catalogs from the Teens. My 1916 Gibson A was $25, and the Canvas case was $1.75 That's $588 in todays money. Enjoy!
  19. Replies
    Views

stay at home banjolin concert

Hi, folks.
    If you're not yet tired of stay-at-home concerts on the net during this Co-Vid 19 self-isolation, here's a good ragtime/blues show with plenty of banjolin by Minnie Heart. The concert was...
  20. Re: Gibson Ricky Skaggs Distressed Master Model - My New Mandolin

To Brad's point above, here are two posts from Joe Vest who worked at Gibson alongside Charlie Derrington and Danny Roberts, among others, in developing and bringing to life the Distressed Master...
  21. Replies
    Views

Pre 1900 SS Stewart Publications

While looking for something else I ran across this page. Some history. More mandolin content towards 1900.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandola Day!

Congratulations! Mandola’s are really cool! I bought an old Gibson a while back, without ever playing one. I thought it would be similar to a mandolin, just a little lower pitch. I was completely...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F4

A BIG thank you to everyone for the input and help :)
  24. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

Thank you for that link - That makes it SO much easier, I think I can finally get my tremolo technique now. I really think that accenting the first downstroke in a tremolo will help me keep track of...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: “Peacock Rag”

Nice job! I like that tune!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3