Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Pricing increases to Collings and Waterloo Instruments

This has been a known bit of information not for public consumption for a little while but just read it on an email blast a retailer sent out so it's going to get communicated one way or another. We...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 fingered chop chords?

Don Julin has a video about using two-finger chop chords. Go to the 2 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCHfqMXGCo
  3. Replies
    Views

The Complete Jethro Burns Mandolin Book is pretty good. He very often played with only three fingers and the resulting chords. Great results, of course.
  4. Replies
    Views

Roland White has a video on YouTube where he talks about the alternate 3-finger chop chords that he uses . . . very helpful if you want to be different, yet still stay in the bluegrass mode.
  5. Thread: Pava

by biologyprof
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pava

Hello to the MandolinCafe. Pava #271, an A5 Pro with the Autumn Burst, that I was lucky enough to win arrived in good shape this past Friday. It was a long week waiting for that delivery. What a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get started for a Newbie

Richard, you've gotten such good advice here that it's hard to add anything else of value. Something you may have gotten from the sum of all that's been said in this thread is that there are a number...
  7. Replies
    Views

That is the best piece of advice I never had!

I downloaded TEFView, the tablet equivalent yesterday and it was a revelation, I learnt to play a new tune in a day rather than the week it usually...
  8. Replies
    Views

Check your local library for that Mike Marshall artistworks course. Lynda.com has added that set of four courses to its library, and I discovered that my public library subscribed to it and offers it...
  9. Replies
    Views

Lots of good suggestions here. I particularly like the idea of playing with others, see if there's any local slow jams.

My other suggestion is to go to the home page of the Cafe and click on the...
  10. Replies
    Views

p.s., regarding the right hand. At some point you will realize all the music is in the right hand. Don't just fuss over fretting!

f-d
  11. Replies
    Views

Learn the basics fundamentals of left and right hand technique. Even if you decide to stray from these fundamental guidelines it helps to know you've done it.

Find a trained eye to watch you play...
  12. Replies
    Views

This is my advice to all new players ..... 1. Learn both open and closed position scales and arpeggios. Two three and four finger chords all work in the appropriate place learn and use them all.
  13. Replies
    Views

PegHead Nation is pretty darn good too.
  14. Replies
    Views

fiddle tunes and old-time jams.

Pentatonic scales.

Fakebooks.

Jack Tottles book.

learn the four-finger chop chords - yes getting all four notes to ring.
  15. Replies
    Views

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but I think artistworks.com with Mike Marshall is a great value. You get an entire corriculum and access to a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Be patient with yourself as you enjoy this journey. While you may want to be born full grown, enjoy your playing at the level you’re at. If you can play in jams as well as you play at home, that is...
  17. Replies
    Views

One of the best questions you can ask yourself. Enjoy playing for yourself.

Once again, spot on. I have been seriously trying to learn about 6 months and although I am making steady...
  18. Replies
    Views

Ive been playing mandolin for a little over 10 years. 9 of those years in a local bluegrass Gospel band. We play in the central Florida area. There is a big music scene in the Orlando area but not...
  19. Replies
    Views

Rick, don't wait too long for that 'one day' to come around. Find a good camp with a track that interests you, and attend it. Don't think you need to be at a specific level before you can attend a...
  20. Replies
    Views

I try to only listen to music I aspire to be able to play. Your 2 best tools are your ears.
    I listen to many of Tony Rice's old recordings, Chris Thele, Bela Flek's drive and strength in numbers,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Richard,
    There is no one way or right way to start. The important thing is that you start. It really is a fantastic journey. The thing I love the most about it is that no matter how much you learn,...
  22. Replies
    Views

What books did you get, Richard? Tune books or instructional? Mel Bay has a wealth of mandolin literature (I'm waiting on a couple of things from them myself.)

The Newbies group—HonketyHank has...
  23. Replies
    Views

I consider myself a beginner even though I have been attempting to play for several years. I would recommend a DVD from Homespun videos, Bluegrass Slow Jam for the total beginner with Pete Wernick. ...
  24. Replies
    Views

Make sure you get a good set up on your mandolin. Attend some jams if there are any near you. Take a couple of lessons to get the basics of chord formations and scales. Try to copy stuff you...
  25. Replies
    Views

All of the comments above are great and so true! One other suggestion, I found two local jams when I had been playing for only about 4 months. It was really hard at first but after a few months I...
Page 1 of 2 1 2