Matt Flinner Trio
    Jayme Stone's music
    Mr. Sun
    Julian Lage and Chris Eldridge

Not quite in the same vein,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Composition in Roots Music

Awesome topic! I love progressive bluegrass compositions. My favorite is strength in numbers. What I love about it, is there are sing-able melodies and intense improvisations. A lot of progressive...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Composition in Roots Music

I don't think the OP meant newgrass; more the melding of bluegrass & chamber music. Bill Monroe meets Ludwig van Beethoven. Something like Chris Thile's The Blind Leaving the Blind, which still...
  4. Thread: Fred Weisz

by Dawg
    Replies
    Views

Fred Weisz

It is with a heavy heart that I share the news that my dear friend and musical colleague for nearly 60 years, Fred Weisz, passed away this past Wednesday, March 16, in Everett, Washington. Fred was...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

Zak Borden's videos opened up a whole new way to construct chords for me.
    Bill
  6. Replies
    Views

One tip that changed everything

Hey Guys,

I was thinking today how I can remember various years (13 years of playing) where I learned "something" that took me off a plateau and entered a new realm of my playing. For guitar, it...
  7. Replies
    Views

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my fellow mandolin pickers, with special thanks to Scot for this wonderful site!!!!!:mandosmiley:
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How to make your child not succeed at music

Wow, I feel sorry for people who went through those kinds of experiences, but it is hard for me to relate. When I was 8, I heard a violinist for the first time, and that was it - he played...
  9. Replies
    Views

I can't believe how many people I meet who spent 8, 10, 15 years taking music lessons they didn't want counting the minutes till they could quit. Sometimes they find a way to enjoy music, often with...
  10. Replies
    Views

my brother and I...... we both let our own children do it if they wanted, and never monitored practice time. My daughter now has a master's in music
  11. Thread: Thile lesson

by Chris W.
    Replies
    Views

Thile lesson

http://youtu.be/IdhVC0DzfFY
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrumental Tune Recommendations

I've been working on this tune lately, Willow Weep for Me.

TYeljEIoxp0
  13. Replies
    Views

At this time of year, Christmas carols work...

At this time of year, Christmas carols work really well on solo mandolin. I also like to play John Reischman's jazzy version of Over The Rainbow, and am working on The Prelude from Bach's First Solo...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How not to lose that pricey or rare pick

When I'm done playing my pick always goes under the strings at the first fret. Always. I don't ever lose a pick.

Steve
  15. My mandolin duet with myself playing Brilliancy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOY9MED5_i0

Hope you guys like it!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: VIDEO: Nickel Creek : Toxic

Mr. Frank Zappa posed the eternal question, "Does Humor Belong In Music?"

My answer, "Why yes, yes it most certainly does."

I find music able to access the full range of human emotions: Love,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: VIDEO: Nickel Creek : Toxic

The thing that stands out to me about Chris in those pickathon daytime performances is his complete self abandon and joy of playing. Most of the folks I grew up with that quit playing music when...
  18. Replies
    Views

VIDEO: Nickel Creek : Toxic

If you love Chris Thile, this video will make you love him more.
    If you hate Chris Thile, this video will make you hate him with a passion.

Britney Spears TOXIC, by Nickel Creek at Pickathon.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass mandolin players who don't sing

Jesse Brock of the gibson brothers only does a bit of harmony-- don't think he sings any lead.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Armrest

Thank you for the great testimonials. Right now I'm way behind in production and to top things off I'm fighting a tough upper respiratory infection. I hope to get back in the shop some tomorrow but...
  21. Replies
    Views

How has the mandolin changed your life?

I mean non-obvious changes you would not have predicted that took you by surprise.

A couple of big ones for me:

1-Mandolin has entirely taken over my social life. Outside of work, there is not...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Bluegrass Bass Solos?

Gotta be Cousin Jake from Flatt and Scruggs. On their Live from Carnegie Hall he does a duet with Earl on "Little Darlin Pal of Mine" and "You Can't Stop Me from Dreaming"

23. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Bluegrass Bass Solos?

This has got to be in there... Bass solo starts at 2:53, but watch the whole thing. Pete Rowan on mandola and Sharon Gilchrist on her Gilchrist. And then there's Tony Rice tearing it up to boot....
  24. Re: Just for a Chuckle-- Why don't people recognize a mandolin?

I would never do this, but I have been tempted to fabricate info. "It's a raphoon, ma'am. You know, the smallest member of the trombone family."
  25. Re: Just for a Chuckle-- Why don't people recognize a mandolin?

The mandolin is not alone in this by any means. As a retired public school music teacher and a former university adjunct professor, I can honestly say that very little is taught to children about...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4