Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

TSA mandolin incident

Was flying today and had one of my mandos with me, an f-style, in a soft case.

After it went through the X-ray machine, the TSA agent operating the X-ray said "Sir, what kind of guitar is this?"
  2. Re: Marty Stuart solo mandolin in KC as a train joins in

Love Marty and the Fabulous Superlatives! Check out their cover of this Tom Petty tune -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKkhWPkE4E
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: oval vs F style...question

It's not so much amount of projection as the manner of projection. F hole mandos project in a clearer, crisper manner. Oval hole mandos have natural reverb that F hole mandos don't have. It's...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A Fox Jumped Up one Winter Night

That version in the opening post is interesting. I too have known this song since childhood, and coincidentally it's on the set list for a gig in April (leading a campfire sing at a hotel in the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bass Builder Undertakes Mandola Build

Mandola looks great! Checked out Serek Basses and they look nice too...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Squirrel Hunters - Which version?

Special Consensus from Rivers and Roads. Love the modulation from the A part to the B part once the whole band joins in. The Mike Compton version is great because it's Mike but those aren't my...
  7. Replies
    Views

Jethro Burns at Adler House, 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpU83gGQMGY

Enjoy.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile Update NYT

This.
  9. Replies
    Views

gigs .... starting to return?

One in the book for June, two for July and one in August. Hoping to fill the book a lot fuller in coming weeks.

How about where you are?
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: A new GBOM source: Lyn Hardy

I have one of those octave mandos - bought it from Lyn a few weeks ago. They're cool. I'll see if I can post a pic. If this comes thru that's Lyn's octave on the right, a standard scale...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: who wouldn't want one of these?

Your sarcasm detector is busted.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Hollow Body Electric Tenors

I thought y'all might want to ogle this:

https://www.retrofret.com/acoustic/tenor.asp
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

What a great thread! I can't believe I'm only seeing it now. I love both American history and musical instruments of all kinds, and this thread combines those interests. Thanks to all of you who...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

Best of luck on the front lines. Folks like you are going to make the difference.

Mandolin is important to all of us, but some things are more important.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

I play mandolin, upright bass and bass guitar in about five different ensembles (I say "about" because the personnel overlap to some extent). I've had three gigs cancelled so far and more to come,...
  16. Re: Please talk about your experience with the Mandola.

My experience with mandola has been this. I was definitely attracted to the lower pitch. And I found that - playing by myself - mandola is very enjoyable because the longer scale and lower pitch...
  17. Re: What is the most mandolins you've owned at one time?

Let me make one thing perfectly clear -

I do not own and have never owned even one mandocello.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: And Now We’ve Lost Dr. John

"Dr." McLean was Ernest McLean, quite a musician himself.

Born in New Orleans, McLean was the son of musician Richard McLean, who played banjo in a government music project band, and his wife...
  19. Re: Man crosses the Atlantic in a barrel - with mando

I imagine there was a lot of chop.
  20. Replies
    Views

Molly and Sierra doing "Salt Creek"

not much to add to this other than to say there is a lot to like about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0kefEVR56U&list=RDx0kefEVR56U&start_radio=1
  21. Re: how many of you venture up to-or beyond the 18th fret ?

I don't play that high on the fretboard. I realize better players do. But I'm still trying to be the best I can be from 15 frets down.
  22. Re: Polish folk song for mandolin orchestra: "Szła dzieweczka"

Nice!
  23. Thread: Pick ups ?

by chuck3
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick ups ?

K&K twin internal pickup with the jack in the strap button. I have done several that way with my local luthier doing the work. Play in all kinds of bands with it. You'll want a preamp too, though....
  24. Re: so i looked up Sharon Gilchrist on youtube last night

I'm a huge fan of Sharon Gilchrist. I'm actually secretly in love with her. Please don't tell her (or my wife) though! Here she is doing Squirrel Hunters - just killer. Watch how she conducts the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Good mandolin in 2019 Grammy Nominees?

Special Concensus is a great band, with plenty of tasty mando playing, and Rivers and Roads is a great album. Album of the year in any genre, not just bluegrass IMO. Some great guest artists on it...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4