Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Unusual angular shaped mandolin with double oval soundholes

The top’s shape does have that bent wood look much like a stylish modern art chair back. The way the top curves up to the fretboard is almost certainly carved.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

You hit it out of the park on this one Skip. I like how the white lamination can be seen through the tortoise brightening the side view as well as the definition it gives to the top where it joins...
  3. Replies
    Views

Beautiful Steve!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Shading a spruce top

I’m curious if this is what twenties Gibson team did as well? Reading Mr. Gilchrist tutorial on finishes he offers, it sounds like he might be staining the wood not surface coating the color. If...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass/Old Time in New Orleans?

There you go. We moved north after Katrina flooded our home but we still remember the many fun times visiting Abita Springs concerts and talents.. They used to call it roots music. In reality it...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

John, great looking guitars. Your bench work rocks again as always. Your so much went wrong story sounds like most of what I’ve learned. I call it working out the bugs in my process.
    I just...
  7. Replies
    Views

These Loar Era F4’s are every bit as much a treasure to me as any F5. You can make an F5 with less fundamental midsection but you will always have more of the percussive staccato tone compared to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Nice ingenuity Spenser. Be careful with it though, even with your smallish drive motor. With a open roller clothing or worse hair can suck you into it. If you cover it you still have kickback...
  9. Replies
    Views

Backside beauty. Do the lighting holes just look way cool or is the reduced wt. to balance an instrument longitudinally?
  10. Replies
    Views

Well said Master OldWave and a nice bouquet of bodacious string tensioning real estate.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

My New DIY F5 and Pegasus from Draper Music(highly recommended).
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

Dang if you do, dang if you don’t. Sorry I couldn’t resist. A few years back I weighed my then new Hoffee, used Pegasus and found them about the same weight. I store my mandolins horizontally on...
  13. Replies
    Views

Steve in the white it looks eerily like human skin under magnification. I wonder what angle of cut made this effect? Are you gonna stain it or leave it blond?
  14. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dry Bending Sides

Thanks for the heads up on my folly MR. Mowry. It is well taken and noted. I am a hobbyist having fun here hoping to give back and share low cost alternatives but had no idea my methods don’t work...
  15. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

I read moisture and heat meant a bending iron and spray bottle might be causing your rippling wood deformation. Perhaps a steam bath and drying mold might cause less stress to the wood with less...
  16. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

I looked back at my records and found both the steam generator and the heat strap and both came from Amazon. The Earlex was just under $70 and the strap about $73. The long sweat tray is a couple...
  17. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

David I’ve been putting together a low priced DIY steam tube and shaping dryer form. I used a 4” tube size but it could be built larger for your guitar work. I found the heater on EBay and the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Top and back graduations

Gilchrist has some good basic information on the directions an instrument can be taken and how he does it at his Web site. Heiden suggest that too thin a top looses richness of tone and too thin a...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Converting Mandolin to Mandola

I once tried J75’s on my Goldrush. The instrument couldn’t handle the heavy G string and was distorting the sound badly. I inspected the instrument thinking there might be another problem but J74’s...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Light bulb test of top plate

Thank you Adrian. It came out pretty sweet. The response, sustain and tone are all very good. It is similar to my 2006 Goldrush in power but has to my ears a better singing voice. I really like...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Pain in Fretting Hand?

You might be mindful of how you support the back of the neck. If your pushing your thumb against the back of the neck like a guitarist would playing a bar chord you can have injury. Try to release...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest Peghead Inlays Ever

179300Wow! What Bodacious bushings to bring it all together. I love it. This is my latest heart throb from Mr. Ellis’s Team Extrodinare.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Brazilian rosewood for mandolins?

I remember seeing a Rosewood build of Skips here at the Cafe a while back. Are all the alternate wood builds shown open pored? I’m finishing up on my Claro Walnut stump salvaged F5. There’s been...
  24. Thread: Richlite bridges

by hank
    Replies
    Views

Re: Richlite bridges

Is anyone using self lubricating plastics like used in Blue Chip Picks on nuts and bridge saddles. As costly as that be it might help with any string binding when the humidity gets wonky.
    I...
  25. Re: Really, why not? (A rumination on necks and joints)

A Shamisen has a through the body neck. All the parts fit together by flawless and glueless joints that can be taken apart by hand for transportation.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4