Bud,

You are one inspiring dude, go get 'em!

Rob
  2. Thread: N(tm)MD

by robw95
    Replies
    Views

Re: N(tm)MD

Hey thanks so much Dave for doing that! This will be a fun way to start the new year.

Rob
  3. Thread: N(tm)MD

by robw95
    Replies
    Views

Re: N(tm)MD

Dave, nice mandolin and nice playing. I'll pay you the highest compliment and ask if you have tab (for the guitar or mandolin part) for Parsnip Wine or if you were just riffing. Enjoy that Big Muddy!...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Buy a vintage Gibson or more modern mandolin?

There is one available on the Pomeroy website as well that looks gorgeous.

https://pomeroyinstruments.com/pomeroy-256-a-style-oval-hole-in-oil-varnish/
  5. Re: Troublesome Creek Luthiery on CBS Mornings today

Very nice piece and glad to see that the instruments that enrich our lives so much are helping others to rebuild their lives.

Rob
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Making Plans for Nigel

What a beautiful instrument and it sounds so lovely. Enjoy.

Rob
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The problem is mostly sentimental

If it has sentimental value then I think that I would keep it and hang it on the wall. The neck separation is what would scare me and is probably indicative of bigger problems. If it were me I would...
  8. Replies
    Views

You don't see a tailpiece like this everyday!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/d/temecula-kay-style-mandolin-1940s-50s/7452259471.html

The mandolin actually looks to be in pretty decent shape

Rob
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: so i may have purchased a Gibson F5G

I'll jump in to agree that Chuck Levin's is an excellent store. I grew up in that town and prior to moving cross country have been in there many, many times. They may not deal much in mandolins but...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky Army-Navy Mandolin

I understand. My first mandolin was an Eastman 505, which is a slight upgrade from Eastman 305 which is one of the de facto recommendations for a great place for la beginner to start. I had intended...
  11. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

I've been following this thread from the beginning and man did you ever give it the old college try. Sometimes things just don't fall into place and it's best just to trust your gut that it wasn't...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

There are certainly worse addictions to have!

Rob
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this how it starts?

How fun! I've only been at mandolin for a year and I'm not sure what a mandola is but after listening to the video I want one!

Rob
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with decision

Any particular reason that you have limited yourself to those two? The reason I ask is because if you are considering buying those new then it puts you into a budget area where you might consider...
  15. Replies
    Views

Congrats! The figuring on the fingerboard and bridge is stunning!

Rob
  16. Replies
    Views

Way to go Sue, a new Morris in addition to the old Stradolin! So, I guess it is time to modify the title of this thread from a question 'Is this how it starts?' to a statement 'This is how it starts'...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for flat top players

I bought a Beavertail directly from Peter Sawchyn in June and it came with GHS A260 medium/light 11-16-24-38. I asked him if I were to go to mediums would I need to do anything and he said maybe a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Received my Ebay Stradolin

My Stradolin is under construction! I replaced the tailpiece and tuners with Stew Mac parts. For the tailpiece I had to drill three new holes (four including for the strap button) and for the tuners...
  19. Replies
    Views

Ha, the candy wrapper was actually a tube rolling around in the cavity of the instrument. The only way that it could have ended up there if it was put thru one of the circles of the F hole. I was...
  20. Replies
    Views

Thanks Sue! No, the strings were way too rusty so they were the first to go. I remember your Stradolin posts from a month or two ago, glad to hear that you are still enjoying yours.

Rob
  21. Replies
    Views

Received my Ebay Stradolin

I've had an urge to tinker lately and after reading about Stradolins I decided to get one and it arrived yesterday and I'm in the process of cleaning it up. I think that it is a solid top with...
  22. Re: Hello All. I'm new here, first post. Loving the mandolin.

Hi Elroy,

I think you've got a great mandolin to start your journey on! I began in earnest myself in November and started with an MD505 and thought it was great. Considering that one of the go to...
  23. Replies
    Views

What a cool post and a great mandolin! I love it when a plan comes together!

Rob
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with upgrade, please

You chose well Jim. I was going to mention the importance of considering a radiused fretboard since you are coming over from guitar (which have radiused fretboards) but you checked that box with the...
  25. Replies
    Views

A little late but here is my NMD post

I got it 6 weeks or so ago, an off the shelf Sawchyn Beavertail mandolin, purchased directly from Peter Sawchyn in Canada. He was great to deal with and I really love the mandolin.

Spruce/Maple
Page 1 of 2 1 2