Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Are tenor guitars less high-maintenance than mandolins?

Tenor guitars are fabulous. Went to TGs and tenor banjo from mandolins. In fact, traded an Eastman mando for my first TG.

My two TGs spend their non-playing time on stands in thd "music room." ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Retirement

Been retired since 2009 and love it. My spouse also retired at the same time. Work was intense and glad it's behind us..

Realistically, it took almost a year to adapt to the change of pace. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin TEN515: Review

Well, that was the last one in Elderly's inventory. That's what they just told me. Whether they will reorder more from Martin is anyone's guess. Don't know how big a seller it was, but I sure feel...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin TEN515: Review

Happy day! The Fedex guy dropped off my new TEN515 this morning. After four hours of letting it get acclimated, tuned it up and ran it through its paces for about 20 minutes. The only word I csn...
  5. Re: Blueridge BR40T -so much better second time around!

Congrats on the 40T. I got one a couple years ago in a trade and have never regretted the deal. I have gone back-and-forth GDAE-CGDA several times, but CGDA is my favorite. Doing a decent set-up...
  6. Re: Suggest a tenor guitar to string as octave mandolin please

An alternative to using a tenor guitar is to try a baritone ukulele (scale length 19 inches) for that tuning. I have my tenor guitar (Blueridge 40T) @ CGDA and the baritone uke goes back-and-forth...
  7. Replies
    Views

Morgan Monroe Rocky Top RT-FM1

After reading a bunch of downers about the Morgan Monroe Rocky Top RT-FM1 mandolin - all from folk basing their opinions on photos, the price tag and the wood used, but never touching one - I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Effin UkeStart (Yep, that's its name!)

Aquila Red Series Concert Low G Set, 86U for this. The G and C get transposed, resulting in a "reentrant C C4-G3-D4-A4" tuning.

I also normally order an extra single string low-G (#71U) as the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Effin UkeStart (Yep, that's its name!)

Below is a sound sample link I recorded earlier today on an iPad Mini with Sound Recorder app. The sample is a three-parter. The UkeStart is strung with unwound Aquila NylGut strings tuned CGDA...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: GDAE Intonation

Another option rather than the Stew-Mac files is to get a set of welding tip cleaners from any of the large hardware chains. They are essentially "round files" and come in various sizes. Ace and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Baritone Ukulele strung CGDA

Got a new baritone ukulele (20-inch scale) a few days ago. The plan was to string it CGDA like my tenor guitar, tenor banjo and several other ukuleles. This particular uke (Kala KA-BE) comes with...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese vs American Made?

I'm more in favor of small shop craftsmanship and the uniqueness of that versus mass production and the generic item. It does not matter where the artisan (and I do mean artisan) is located. What's...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning my Ukulele like my Mandolin

20-pound test monofilament line makes a satisfactory E string for GDAE tuning on a soprano (or concert) ukulele. Used to have GDAE on my ukes, also using 50-pound test line for the A string. The...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

What's overpriced to me may be a bargain to someone else. That's just the way "commerce" works. I find a lot of things overpriced, especially when I know a goodly chunk of the price is the pro-rata...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Pono nylon string tenor guitar?

Pono's idea of nylon-string tenor guitar isn't a bad one, but it is a little pricey. i've got a Pono Pro Classic tenor ukulele strung CGDA and it sounds super as a "17-inch scale TG" , even beside...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjolele tuned like a mandolin

Had the same problem with the E string on that string set when I used GDAE tuning. Ended up using 20-pound test monofilament fishing line for the E. Yes, it does work well and is much stronger than...
  17. Re: Why it's my old cheap mandolin easier to play than my new goo

Just a thought...Being a luthier does not make a person clairvoyant, and everyone's "feel" for an instrument is a bit different. It's like driving a car - we all have to adjust the seat and mirrors...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Blueridge BR-70T

Congratulations on your find. I have the 40T and love it. Have tuned CGDA and GDAE back and forth, currently on CGDA and will orobably leave it there for quite a while.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you play on your tenor guitar?

In a word - everything. Went to an Eagles tribute concert last Monday and have been playing about a dozen old Eagles numbers (favorites: Get Over It, Heart of The Matter). Whatever can be played on...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheap/low-end mandolins...

This thread has gone far afield from the original question.

"Prefer" is an interesting qualifier. There are many folk who have never handled a mandolin in the multi-kilobuck range, so "prefer" is...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Dealing With Spouse

Good point! Of course, the two-point could be compromised away - for the greater good. However, the OP never brought up whether an amp and pickup was already installed on his mandolin, and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Dealing With Spouse

Tell her you were advised by old wise mandolinists of the necessity to maintain three types of mandolins - A-style, F-style and Flattop. It's somewhat similar to having multiple pairs of shoes, so...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Gone over to the dark side.

It would, especially if he can mirror your left hand on the TB by doing the same on the uke.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Absolute beginner looking for advice

First question is whether there are any musical clubs, etc. near where you live. Getting face-to-face advice and actually handling a few instruments may impact what you do.

Second question is if...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Retirement Beginner

The first question is how did the GNY feel to you? It's a "Goldilocks" thing as far as comfort, balance, etc. Don't know if the guitar store is the best place to buy it, what with set-up and all...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4