Search:

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What should I do with that mandolin?

Good decision. If they try to give you any hassle, point out to them that the bridge slot spacing is absolutely bonkers :disbelief: and clearly defective. It may have ruined the saddle, requiring...
  2. *SHOCKING* Lloyd Loars melted down to make new ukes!

(above) A Lloyd Loar mandolin at a processing facility

NEW YORK, April 2022 - A revolutionary new high-tech distillation process allows the active ingredient in tonewood to be extracted...
  3. Re: Sad, Melancholic, Forlorn Mandolin Tunes/Songs

I don't know if this is the style you're looking for, but it's definitely in the "non-bluegrass" category and it has a somewhat wistful/nostalgic vibe: "Hamabe No Uta" (Song Of The Seashore, Japanese...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Looks like she posted tab a couple years ago in the Song-a-Week thread "Debarsko Oro (traditional Macedonian dance in 7/8)".
  5. Replies
    Views

Jim Donoghue's Reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRjAsfIB80
    (or direct link)

Sandy River Belles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNfhxj7UhWw
  6. Replies
    Views

Down Home Waltz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ty-zhVfa0
    (or direct link)

Song of the Seashore (Hamabe No Uta)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYKUGYC3yP0
  7. Replies
    Views

Humphreys Waltz, cover of a Daniel Nestlerode tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zynqNj6rQO0
    (or direct link)

Winter Lochan, cover of a John Kelly composition:

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

Lol :)) although it resulted from neither overthinking nor even regular thinking, as I woke up from one of my frequent old-age naps at my computer and the idea just popped into my head, fully formed,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

Because there's a finite number of notes in the universe, and once they're all used up, all music would cease forever.

Thus it would be unconscionable for anyone to willfully contribute to the...
  10. Re: Little Italy - my first composition for guitar and mandolin)

Nice! Sweet mandolin solo between 3:32 and 3:46. :mandosmiley: Very enjoyable recording.

(Although I almost didn't get past the video's first 15 seconds because I thought it was going to be some...
  11. Re: from the lyrics of the sone, "Beyond Compare" by Marshall Bar

No, but I found the following info (and full lyrics) on a blog page:

Song title: "Beyond Compare".
    Lyrics written by: Marshall Barer.
    Music composed by: David Ross.

YouTube recording: ...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

The seller might have inadvertently left off a couple of zeros. Craigslist pricing errors are not uncommon, although usually it's the other way around (too many zeros, rather than not enough). ;)
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Cool Banjo Physics

Oh now look what you've done, you're trying to make us think! ;) (Not my specialty anymore.) And here I was hoping to get through the documents just blissfully skimming through the text and seeing...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

It's actually a Shmergel. All Shmergels have the little-known ability to shape-shift to perform other complex tasks, such as substituting for a malfunctioning alternator in a car. Just place the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: broke back mandolin on Ebay

Ha! :grin: I like that idea. :cool: Little clips to hold lightweight items inside, such as spare battery for digital tuner, spare picks, a spare string or two. Fastened so as to prevent unwanted...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: broke back mandolin on Ebay

The back cut-out could be a revolutionary and very practical option for musicians who, for whatever reason, prefer to not install a traditional toneguard and yet still wish to reduce contact between...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Random mandolin sightings

Mandolin background music from TV series "Expedition Unknown", 2017 episode s5e3 "Origins Of Stonehenge". Unfortunately the host is talking over the music except for the first 4 seconds of the clip....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Ebay Luthier Project

:)) Spray foam, duct tape, and paint?
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready to get my hillbilly on!

Well I was thinking more of an earlier era of mandolin popularity, when there were all those mandolin orchestras all over the country.

Mandolin seemed to be quite the fad, for a number of years. ...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Richard Thompson Mandolin TAB

That makes sense, thanks! :mandosmiley:
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Richard Thompson Mandolin TAB

In both of those, in the third bar from the end, there's only two and a half beats. :confused: I think it's a transcription error/typo. Magnified views:

After a casual...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Unsigned Loar on Reveb

My dad grew up with oldtime fiddle/banjo music (and mandolin), but... he said the first time he heard big-band music, he thought it was "just noise", :disbelief: not music. Even though big band was...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready to get my hillbilly on!

Agree.

It could be that the public's association of mandolin with bluegrass, has actually boxed the mandolin into a corner and resulted in far too many people thinking that the only thing a...
  24. Re: Unique description of a beautiful 1923 A4, for sale in Japan

Well I'm not KC but was able to quickly find a Reverb page which (when that page's "Read more" link is clicked) contains the appropriate weird text description, so it might be the same page the OP...
  25. Re: Star Spangled Banner — mandolin orchestra style

Sounds good! :mandosmiley:

The mix sounds fine to me, FWIW. Listening with my usual little favorite earbuds (the out-of-production JVC Gumy model HA-F14-W, alleged frequency range...
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4