Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: How to practice: Play very slow | Tal Wilkenfeld and Lex F

Tal hit the scene as a noob at the 2004 NAMM. We were launching the first Pigtronix pedal - the Envelope Phaser - which was a big hit with bass players who were attracted like flies, Tal among them....
  2. Re: Can beginners learn on a 4 String Electric Mandolin?

I have 2 PeeWees that are a lot of fun. I keep one tuned CGDAEB (bulls-eye) and the other (burst) E standard so one is in 5ths and the other in 4ths. I upgraded both with an active EMG-89 (switches...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dillion mandolins?

I've checked them out online a few times but nothing in person. They appear to be what they are and aside from setup and maybe electronics work should be fine if the price is right.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

While a "petite D" in gypsy jazz terms my Paris Swing is more oval than not. Super tone that's very different from my f.

5. Re: Transform a guitar into tenor guitar by changing the neck

Yup, it really is that simple. Using a capo gives a great deal of flexibility over string gauges so this is a pretty forgiving way to get your feet wet, so to speak. 100% reversible so at the very...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band

John did a signature mandolin model a number of years back that flew largely under the radar; he doesn't play one in concert, which doesn't help. It was the top-of-the line in the short-lived Paris...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking A-Strings in CGDA tuning

My Les Paul PeeWee (19" scale) is tuned like that [C G D A E B] using a .008 on the high B. The problem with going with too thin a string on an electric is there isn't enough metal to create a strong...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking A-Strings in CGDA tuning

FWIW I recently picked up a Squier Mini Jazzmaster to convert into a tenor. I had originally thought I'd have to change it from a 6 to a 5-string to get FCGDA tuning. Then I thought something like...
  9. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDk115TkTg

The [flange] effect on the opening (signature) guitar riff is pretty iconic.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Kelly mandolin

When I was shopping I looked hard at the MK line including the Festival, Firefly and Dragonfly. As one reseller on here has posted, MK was the big mover of mandolins at one point and had offerings in...
  11. Re: Ovation & Crafter - A Few Observations

Thanks for this ^^. I had an Ovation Celebrity guitar years ago. I would imagine it's similar to your MSC148 in terms of build and sound; nothing to write home about acoustically and not-bad...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Cozart Tenor Telecaster

Glad to hear you found a tuning that works. DGBE is called "Chicago" tuning which is a modified version of 4ths. Tenors came out first as banjos that followed mandolin's tradition of tuning in 5ths,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Coming Soon: National Style N Tenor

Quick note: ball end strings can be easily converted to loop end. Use a set of needle-nose pliers to un-twist the end a bit and the ball-end falls out. That way you can use whatever strings you wish.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Four or five string vs. eight string

I came from bass and guitar to mandolin then tenor. I'm currently have the most fun with a 6-string Les Paul PeeWee that is tuned in 5ths - C G D A E B. Because the intervals are different from...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 4 string El Rey Mandolin

The El Rey mandolin pickups are made by Lollar.

Kent Armstrong makes 2 types of jazz pickups - one version is made for him in Korea and the other he makes at his home shop. I have 1 of each and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Fan fret tenor guitars (2022 thread)

A local fellow was experimenting with them. I met him through the Cafe and got a chance to check out one of his fanned-fret tenors.

It was nice but I found the fanned-frets worked against most...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Regal Tenor Guitar

I'd like a better look at the neck heel and string height at the 12th fret. If it needs a neck reset any pricing advantage is quickly lost in repairs.

OTOH it looks to be in generally good nick so...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Djangolin, D.J. Hodson, Selmer Mandolin

Now defunct Paris Swing was a mandolin and guitar line catering to the gypsy jazz crowd. The mandolins didn't follow the Selmer/Mac styling but the guitars did.

They did some pretty interesting...
  19. Re: Entry level tenor: Recording King or Ibanez?

I've not tried either of those but IIRC both are laminate builds. Of those two I'd try the Recording King first.

My preference would be the Harley Benton CLT-20S

20. Re: Pick Choice on Electric Mandolin vs Acoustic

I use different picks - Jazz III with the 5-string electric and Dunlop .71 mm for acoustics.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting into Jazz Tenor Guitar?

That's largely why I think 5-string mandolin is a good fit. You get compatibility with fiddle tuning but also have the lower CGDA tenor tuning for comps etc.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Beware this Fender FM60E at Guitar Center

It is a roll of the dice, that's for sure.

I just so happens I got my Fender FM60E from a Guitar Center used listing. I caught it just after it was put up without a picture. The price was so...
  23. Re: Gibson Must Now Face Antitrust Litigation in Heritage Case

Do you know if Gibson has a valid trademark registration for the F-5?
  24. Re: Gibson Must Now Face Antitrust Litigation in Heritage Case

I believe this may lack some context. The legal entity known as Gibson has been doing business since the late 1800s. Trademark law was enacted in the US in 1947 (iirc) by way of the Lanham Act;...
  25. Re: Oval hole mando comparable to a Kentucky KM-505?

If you can find one the Paris Swing John Jorgenson (MS-140-BK) is a lovely mandolin.

It's essentially a Gibson snakehead with Gypsy Jazz styled soundhole (petite D) & cutaway and F-5 style tone...
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4