neat video out of the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6oKgjiDUoE
  2. Willie Nelson with Marty Stuart on emando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOptU-3N_Sg

Solo at 1:10
  3. Replies
    Views

The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

This mandolin was featured in the "Sometimes a case tells a story" article recently.

hSCJPC5LrYo
  4. Replies
    Views

Uncle Don Brown's Loar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ee3X2-AXW4
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

48 hour approval period is pretty standard ask in etiquette. It isn’t guaranteed but neither is a sale. If that is important to you don’t make a deal if the seller refuses.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

As an (infrequent) buyer and seller of on-line used instruments, I expect to provide and receive a 48-hour approval period and you are certainly not out of line in asking for one. If your seller...
  7. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe - Porter Wagoner Show, 1968

I watched this great example of "The Man" at work, and could not find it posted before. I don't think Bill ever suffered stage fright. What a performer!:mandosmiley:...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

I quite enjoyed that! I appreciated that he was just going around IBMA and asking the fellow mandolin players in the biz. I appreciate that it wasn’t all that serious too. I don’t think he’s trying...
  9. Replies
    Views

Sylvia Tyson playing a Regal Octofone

This photo came up on Facebook today from True North Records. It's a photo of Sylvia Tyson (then Fricker, best known as half of Ian and Sylvia) playing the Bohemian Embassy in Toronto about 1960. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: TSA mandolin incident

Had a similar experience flying with my banjo. The agent screening asked what type of instrument it was, when I told her it was a banjo, I was immediately arrested. :disbelief:
  11. Thread: I don't get it

by joh
    Replies
    Views

Re: I don't get it

I think the presumption is that if you have to ask what the ad is about, then the ad is not meant for you.
  12. Thread: Worm holes

by tmsweeney
    Replies
    Views

Re: Worm holes

Jimmy Hpffa is collecting them
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace Bobby Osborne

The NYT piece from this evening:
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Carter Vintage

Ervin Somogyi is pretty well-known in the steel string guitar world. His guitars are played by a number of artists in the Windham Hill orbit, including Will Ackerman, Michael Hedges and Alex...
  15. Have y'all seen this from the ole daze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-JbVFk1GY&list=PLA0EE51DABBF63E4D&index=18
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Jeff Beck RIP

I was so sorry & surprised to hear the news. He certainly was a great and unique Guitar player.
    I was fortunate enough to hear his band w Stewart & Wood. They were great & were having so much fun. A...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Eighth Of January From Sam Bush

Jonny Horton tried to claim authorship but it was written by Jimmy Driftwood when he was a schoolteacher in Timbo Arkansas. Jimmy also wrote "Tennessee Stud".
  18. Replies
    Views

Well, yeah. Furthermore, according to this source - possibly more than you'd ever want to know about the tune - it was originally titled "Jackson's Victory." :whistling:

While we're at it, Johnny...
  19. Replies
    Views

Not incidental, The Battle Of New Orleans was fought on the 8th of January.

Dave H
  20. Replies
    Views

NGOM Day - Clark

Well its a new GOM day for me. A lovely Clark showed up a couple of days ago and its just a great instrument. I am going to enjoy this Journey :)

21. Replies
    Views

R.i.p. Ian tyson

One of my first music heroes passed a couple days ago. He along with his partner Sylvia Friker first impressed me when I was just 11 years old. I saw them in concert at a small local college and...
  22. Re: Wrecked fingers can't make 'block chords', time to quit?

There are no rules. play for the fun of it and ignore anyone who puts limits on you.
  23. Re: Changing the strings on my new to me 2nd hand Gilchrist

I'm reminded of reading AutoGuide forum and someone asking which tires to put on his XKE :)
  24. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I'm not sure this mandolin is the necessarily the nicest mandolin I've seen, but it has the most meaning. I attended a class in Nashville held by Butch Baldassari. I had just bought a Stiver from...
  25. Thread: Road Trip

by Dan in NH
    Replies
    Views

Road Trip

So yesterday I took a day trip into Massachusetts to visit a couple of shops there. First was Johnson Strings in Newton, as according to their web site they had an Eastman 404, A-body with a gloss...
Page 1 of 2 1 2