Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Dark trails appeared on the neck of my mandolin

It's hard to imagine any resin/sap whatever movement in wood that is dry for years and very likely wasn't exposed to any humidity/temperature extreme cycles (I guess OP takes some care of his...
  2. Re: Dark trails appeared on the neck of my mandolin

I also think this is sap. Seasonal changes cause resins to move around. If it were sanded flush with the surface of the neck, and has now diffused into the surrounding wood, it could certainly make a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dark trails appeared on the neck of my mandolin

So it looks like the neck is mahogany, and the instrument is 7 (or more) years old.

I think the age is enough to eliminate the possibility of insect activity, since these types of insects won't...
  4. Re: Dark trails appeared on the neck of my mandolin

I keep looking at this and wondering if that is some sort of reaction to the finish or a wood filler used due to exposure to sunlight. Kind of like the way varnish can get darker after years of...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin wolf tone?

A good friend (who is also a MC reader/contributor) suggested that I post more on the topic of wolf notes and possibly add some audio tracks so you could hear what wolf notes are. Searching through...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger style mandolin

I once owned a special "Radim Zenkl" model Breedlove mandola, actually designed for fingerstyle playing which Radim was experimenting with at the time.

It had single strings instead of double...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger style mandolin

Toomas Rannu from Estonia does some nice solo arrangements for fingerstyle both of folk tunes and classical pieces. I will port some links or you can search yourself. He is a member here.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Godin A8 discontinued??

RMC pickups of Berkeley Cal is who made their electric parts..

https://www.rmcpickup.com/
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Godin A8 discontinued??

It definitely has been discontinued. I have a Godin A8, and checked this out a couple of months back. I don't know about parts though. It's disappointing as it's a fine instrument. There have been...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Can I get-rid of the end-pin on Godin A8?

Like Jacob said, leave the end pin alone. I would glue a little strip of leather on the inside of the gig bag to protect it. High quality gig bags are usually done this way.
  11. Re: Can I get-rid of the end-pin on Godin A8?

Most endplates are just secured by 3 screws but to be extra sure, you can take the endpin out and if it secures the plate, then just put in a normal screw, or shorten the existing and put it back in...
  12. Re: Can I get-rid of the end-pin on Godin A8?

The screws should be holding the tailpiece in place. The end pin simply goes through it. There are tailpieces that have been used for decades that don't have an end pin hole.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Really good tremelo exercises?

I don't think you're going to find any tremolo exercise very exciting. It's the mandolin's version of long tone exercises that must be suffered by bowed strings and wind players. I do think that...
  14. Re: Recommendation? Light/Medium Strings for CGDA 16.5" scale man

I’m a Thomastik fan and have used them on mandolins with excellent results. I tried the 164 strings on my 16” scale mandola. It was necessary to remove the silk wraps from some of the strings. But...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig bag for mandola?

The Gold Tone Irish Tenor gig bag seems pretty close. Made for a 14 inch pot, it would be almost perfect for body length, and only a bit shy of 2 inches large across. 3 inches too long at 32” but the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig bag for mandola?

You might check with Gold Tone. They make all different size instruments including mandolas, big ukes, short tenors, and funky "folkternative instruments". One of their gig bags might be close....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What is it? UK auction.

Not entirely sure what you're writing about, Ray. It appears that auction is closed. The link takes me to a page that shows two thumbnails of mandolins though, a Dobro and an unnamed mandolin, which...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to play the cura saz

First, the pitches are relative - they are written as GDA but can be any actual pitch - CGD, BbFC, DAE, etc.

Second, the cura can be set up either so the the outside strings are in octaves, or...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Post Mortem

I don't see any reason for any attitudes.

Gibson does not list mandolins in their on-line catalog, and hasn't listed them for at least a couple of years.

Only one or two brick and mortar stores...
  20. Re: Building a tune-o-matic bridge for acoustic mandolins?

Marty, I’ve seen a bridge on line that consists of a wood base with four parallel slots and moveable hard inserts. That would certainly work, at the expense of detensioning strings a couple of times...
  21. Re: Building a tune-o-matic bridge for acoustic mandolins?

It's definitely feasible. The problem is, if you do something like this:...
  22. Re: Recommendation? Light/Medium Strings for CGDA 16.5" scale man

These strings should be fine.
  23. Re: Recommendation? Light/Medium Strings for CGDA 16.5" scale man

I use Thomastik 174 (weich) light strings on my Collings mandola (string length 15.9"). 14, 19, 28, 45
    I tune CGDA though the package says GDAE.
    These strings are 45 cm /17.5" long.
    I remove...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Mandola - Tips & Tricks

For Irish Trad, I drop the B part of the tunes down an octave.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: To A Higher Standard

If they played those notes with conviction it was jazz.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4