Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, the Mandolin Has Its Revenge!

And it comes in tenor and baritone sizes as well. The first is of the soprano (I think), the others of the tenor, which show the lutesque shape of the body

133918 133919 133920
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you have a "Top Five" list?

Best at what? The mandolin that I have played that was (is) best for bluegrass, isn't my first choice for classical or old time. The one I think best for traditional Irish would not be the best for...
  3. Re: Mandolin Pick Comparison - 28 picks under $3 each

Well that is a pretty impressive study and a lot of work too! I started at the bottom and played about 5 secs of each sound clip. All the way to #1 I thought the Golden Gate was the best. But in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A different question on in-ear monitor

I can play reasonably loud. If a jam session is so cacophonous that I can't hear myself, I move on. I have gotten to the point where I know its not me or a compromised instrument, and I have...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A different question on in-ear monitor

I don't recommend this approach unless you're going to use an actual dedicated in-ear system, and here's why. "Real" in-ear systems include a limiter to protect your ears against sudden spikes from...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Schertler Mando Pickup

I would think twice before I cut that thin cord on the $600 Schertler. The leads are going are going to be tiny. I have used mine for ten years and haven't had any issues.
  7. Re: recent experiences with Fishman Loudbox Artist and AI CODA S4

sorry for the delay in responding - yes, that is exactly what the Fishman would be good at. Neither channel is designated as "mic" with the other being "instrument" - they are identical channels for...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Amplification

With instrumentation like you describe, i'd recommend taking a close look at the Godin A8. The Godin is acoustic/electric, and everything is onboard so its easy to manage volume and EQ right there on...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Condenser mics on stage- what should I know?

One thing I notice a lot is bands using condenser (and dynamic) microphones is NOT dealing with monitor placement if using them. The monitors are usually placed facing directly back into the face of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: what is the best mobile to go amp?

I have played with them, as in the "toy in a toy store" sense. I am not really loving them when compared to a base Fishman mini, or something like that. But, these guys are small, cheap, and battery...
  11. Re: name of the felt thing you put in strings above bridge?

Sympathetic vibrations comes closest, but it's really more movement of the mandolin itself, the bridge in particular, getting the after-length of the strings moving. Sympathetic vibrations caused by...
  12. Re: Do you care what happens to your instrument(s) once you're go

No. It's not like they will last forever any more than I will. They may not even outlast me for all I know, considering how I treat them.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Asian Vs American Made

I guess I just don't understand the premise of the OP question. If you want to buy American, then buy American. If you want to save money and want to buy Asian, buy Asian. And if you're wondering how...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Asian Vs American Made

It is really difficult to make generalizations based on what continent its made in. That being said however the USA made brands you name all have a reputation for being flawless in fit and finish....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Live gig challenges

Sounds like you did the best you could have under the circumstances. If there's one thing I've learned in over 35 years of gigging is- you need to be flexible. Things never go as you think they will....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Shyness and Playing in Front of People

I am related to people who have spent time in prison and others who are close to incapacitated by thinking that chemicals will enhance their life.... Good Luck Guys!!!

I can't believe that people...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tortoisetone picks

OK, for those are worried about endangered species please read the title and the original post again. This isn't about picks made from the shell of the Hawksbill Turtle. We don't have discussions...
  18. Re: Genres of music having a historical connection and significan

They're not that bad - when they first came out they were ahead of the curve with their combination of percussion electronics and ITM. They seem to have had a firm grasp of all these genres and...
  19. Re: Genres of music having a historical connection and significan

These Irish kilts are an adaptation of Scottish national dress, as an attempt to reinvent and reinvigorate Gaelic culture in Ireland. The driving force behind it was Irish nationalism, and a desire...
  20. Re: Genres of music having a historical connection and significan

I'm with you on being able to relate to the Blues, BlindBard. Same with Appalachian, Texas Swing, Bluegrass, and Cajun music. Like food, that music feeds me ... feeds my soul, if you will. It comes...
  21. Re: Genres of music having a historical connection and significan

Yeah don't get me wrong, I wasn't by any means trying to have a dig at Americans of Irish or Scottish descent generally, but rather at those here who pander to the Americans (whether of...
  22. Re: Genres of music having a historical connection and significan

I'd imagine that this windy woman is modern marketed re-imagining of the 'Aisling' - the dream woman, that Mr.Bard referred to, who usually represented 'Ireland' and who appears in many songs...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Banjo tuned like a Mandolin

Whoops...
    I meant to say; GDAE an octave lower!!
    Sorry for any misunderstanding!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Banjo tuned like a Mandolin

There's two main ITB scale lengths; the 19 fret, and the 17 fret.
    Both can be tuned GDAE.
    I have a Goldtone 17fret model and frankly it's been a heartbreaker!! Trying to acquire proper strings,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Fishman SA220 (Fishman SoloAmp) report

Just an update... I got to thinking about this a few weeks ago and tried a little experiment. Would the SA220 work with subs? Answer - yes. It will. To test it out I used a DBX 233XS active crossover...
Page 1 of 2 1 2