Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Don't Perform In Public....

I only recently picked up my 'high end' mandolin. I wanted it because it was my ideal mandolin for a long time and in Summer last year I realised I could afford it. As my teacher and a wise friend...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Becoming a Luthier-How?

I can't comment from a luthier's point of view, but I'm a professional maker of ceramic vessel flutes (transverse ocarinas) and a lot of the research and development process is essentially the same....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. This mandolin, aside from being everything I wanted, is a great incentive to always be better. I've hardly put it down since I brought it home. And the way it...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin art (drawing)

That's a great drawing Caleb, love the vivid contrast. Pencil or charcoal? Do you still draw? I draw, sculpt and work with ceramics though I find I get less and less time for it all these days.
  5. Replies
    Views

Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin

It's been a very long time since I posted here but I feel I owe Paul a shout out here for the excellent mandolin he recently built for me.

I've been taking lessons since March 2018 and have been...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How to deal with 'The Beast from the East'

Down in the South East we didn’t get hit so bad as the rest of the country. Thursday and Friday were the worst days. I was working but with the ice and snow on Friday I got sent home early. I spent...
  7. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

On my Eastman MD504 I’ve found I like LSB 250 GHS Silk and Bronze the most, which are 11-16-26-40. On my Weber I am in the process of experimenting. When I obtained it it had 80/20 bronze strings...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: McClung Armrests

Nice one! I got plain ebony too and it suits the Eastman very nicely. Though at the moment I’ve moved it to my (new to me) Weber which luckily fits! Got my ebony CA armrest on the Eastman now.

If...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: McClung Armrests

As Chris said, best to measure as handmade instruments will vary slightly. When I got my McClung I measured my Eastman MD504 at just under 1.75” (44mm). You just want the measurement from the rim...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: UK Hard Case?

I had trouble getting a case for my Eastman MD504...tried the lightweight Gator case which didn't fit it. Also asked some suppliers about the TKL before buying and they confirmed that the Eastman...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get a case to fit

Certainly. A towel is cheap, readily available, and takes less time!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get a case to fit

Upholstery foam worked for me. It is pretty ugly but I hid that with crushed velvet. I keep the foam in place with Velcro tabs (the softer side attached to the case, the rough side on the foam...
  13. Re: Kentucky KM150 flat versus KM 250 radiused fretboard

I remember when I got my Eastman I couldn’t quite get to grips with the radius at first. My beginnner mandolin had a flat fretboard and I kept making mistakes with the Eastman. From my experience I’d...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade time?

I agree with previous replies that an Ashbury wouldn’t be a significant enough upgrade from the Ozark you currently own. I’ve noticed and held some Paul Hathway mandolins in Canterbury Hobgoblin but...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing just for the fun of it

Yup, I pretty much play just for the sheer enjoyment of learning and as you say, getting each new piece just so. On the odd occasion when possible I play with my best friend who is a pianist, but...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Lightest weight mandolin

Don't forget, the pocket mandolins made by Dave Hynds (mandolinluthier.com) are a custom option. So you could arrange to have the lightest build within means. My pocket mandolin with rosewood back...
  17. Re: Which different picks should I try for my first mandolin

Why not put your name down on the list for The Travelling Pick Sampler? By the time it comes round you'll have a better feel for your mandolin and a better idea of what sound you're looking for....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New CA bridge installation: bridge angle?

My Eastman's stock bridge had bent posts creating a lean towards the fretboard. I'm grateful for the info I found on the Cafe, otherwise I never would have found out about Cumberland Acoustic...
  19. Re: Hello a newbie soon to be mandolin owner here

+1 on the armrest and good point raised concerning height of the armrest. It may be a completely personal thing that varies from person to person, but a thicker/higher armrest turned out to be better...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: I want to buy my first mandolin

You've picked two decent options there. I think whichever mandolin you choose of the two, so long as it is set up correctly, will be an excellent starter instrument. Personally I think you will get...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Trying to decide...MAS kicked in early

Personally, I started on a cheap mandolin and also quickly became tempted into getting something better. My starter had been set up by a luthier and played well, but the more I played the more I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Crystal Forest A/N {5 string Jazzer}

Congrats Joey! Looks fantastic, I've been following the progress pics with interest (love seeing things built) and I have found myself liking black top mandolins more and more.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: A style case UK?

As Ray mentioned above, import tax and handling fees on such lovely cases from the US would be crippling. I even toyed with the idea of getting a Travelite sent over but when I estimated the real...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: PICKS am i missing something

+1 to this. I'm a UK player too and GAK is the place to go for those Dunlop Primetones. They are a safe bet in my opinion and a great place to start. Can't grumble at three picks for £6, especially...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

The Hawk pick arrived while I was at work yesterday, so I've packed everything up together and am heading down the post office now.

Here's a list of picks I'm sending:

Timber Tones Resin...
Page 1 of 2 1 2