Search:

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

This seems like an ad in the wrong section of the forum.
  2. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Those people already have shoes.
  3. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

That's a very interesting comment about Art, given that everything that's made is a form of human expression. The hierarchy of 'utility' versus 'ART' seems challenged by better machines. And many...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Batwing from a bat cave

SGW is the cool kids shorthand for ‘shop goodwill’.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

It baffles me that so many people are so attached, emotionally or otherwise, to this thing, Gibson, that has so little impact on their life.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

On an acoustic with a pickup, I like the ability to be louder while maintaining a lite touch. But on the hollow body with a humbucker, I like the soft, sustained jazzy tone that is so reminiscent of...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

It (Gibson) is a triumph of branding, like many companies in many industries that fail to innovate.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

Interesting. That hand shaper for the neck was like one I worked with raising door panels, friction clamped knife head, not for an unskilled hand or the faint of heart. And the lack of respirators...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin strings

Emando.com, Cafe’s own Martin Stillion. NFI, but a happy customer.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

I share your despair and I'm not really a newbie, just not a fast player. The discipline to work on the mechanics of picking, the 'zen' of relaxing and the confidence of performing are three...
  11. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I’ve only played 1 Loar, and it had a very lovely sound. Of affordable instruments, there’s a Duff and a Sullivan I lust for, although neither are for sale. I’ve played several very nice mandolins...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Wow!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: LRTI surgery

My guitar playing wife had this surgery on her right thumb in 2021. Prior to that she had extreme pain in her pick holding thumb after 15 minutes and had had steroid injections every 3 months for...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

My take is people become familiar with the keys that are frequently used in the genre(s) they play. Most folksmusic is not done in flat keys, as horns were typically not used. Swing and jazz...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Cozart Tenor Telecaster

I have no use for one of these, but I really want one..........
  16. Re: A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

It looks like he's playing with a thumb pick. Is that correct, and is that typical of the period?
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

They think they're selling themselves rather than the instrument.

Back when dirt was new, my classical guitar teacher illustrated the resonance of instruments by playing the open strings in...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

I remember those days with a bit of sadness. Now its a 2 drink maximum.
  19. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Depends. Is it a Rogue or a Gilchrist?

I wouldn't want the Mando to sleep any colder than me. Will it get lonely and perhaps go with a passing stranger? I've heard they sometimes do that.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

While I heartily agree, too stiff or too floppy picks won’t help with either of those. Gear is important, so setup is paramount. Then finding what works in your hands is the task, and that may...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Can’t argue with that outcome, sounds great. Nice playing too.

The color down the center is broken up, which changes the aesthetic for me. Nice contrast to the walnut, which I think is really...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

Welcome.:mandosmiley:

I'm a big fan of Radex picks, by D'Andrea, along with Primetones from Jim Dunlop (the smooth ones). I also like the Jazz III, but they might be a little stiff. While stiff...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I’m sure it will be a nice instrument, but I’m not sure of the wisdom in using a water stained piece of fir. It wouldn’t make the grade for a piece of exposed millwork unless it was specified as...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Used gouges... (or new)?

Copper plumbing has provided many ferrules.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Used gouges... (or new)?

Old gouges become new gouges when you sharpen them. If you make a new handle, that’s just deluxe.

Old Buck Bros are very nice tools. I have some that were old when I got them in the seventies.
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4