Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Damaged Gibson F5

Gail is still doing repair work, and has indicated that she will resume building soon.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sound power, Gibson mandolin?

"The question may not necessarily be "is my mandolin too quiet" but sometimes "are the musicians in a jam session well behaved enough to enable others to participate". That is exactly the issue here....
  3. Re: 1924 Gibson Blacktop Snakehead at Gryphon

Not the "z" on the label. The A2 and the A2Z are very different mandolins, with different market prices. Snakeheads sell for more as they usually sound stronger than most A2s, and the snakehead neck...
  4. Re: 1924 Gibson Blacktop Snakehead at Gryphon

This is the same model I play, but it is fitted with the previous generation of tuners with square end plates. Mine is also stamped A2-. Note the wide white sound hole rosette, which is from the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What brand tuners are these

I probably have a bushing for you. Please let me know if you still need one.
    Best regards
    Charles

======================================================
  6. Re: Are you ready for a new Carbon/Kevlar Sorensen mandolin?

Hi Alan,
    I had one of the carbon fiber mandolins that Peter Mix built. Very cool but I did not think it sounded much
    like a traditional mandolin - also, it would not cut a banjo. Here's hoping the...
  7. Hinged tailpiece cover on a Red Diamond mandolin

Here is something I've never seen before. It is the tailpiece cover on the 1980 Red Diamond in the classifieds. It is hinged on the treble side. Guess that will stop it from coming off and getting...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

HI Bernie,
    Violins are designed to be taken apart for repairs. Thats why all violin luthiers use hide glue. Also, its been going on so long it is now considered acceptable. Mandolins,on the other...
  9. Re: The Flatiron F-Festival in Mandolin Cafe Classifieds

[QUOTE=Greg Allen;1759269]I am wondering where this was built.

Greg, this is a Chinese import. The giveaway is the big fleur-di-lise inlaid in the peghead. That peghead inlay was never used for...
  10. Re: Charles Johnson - Mandolin World Headquarters

Thanks <blush>

Charles
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tennessee Prodigal A-5 by Mark Taylor

I owned one of the Prodigal A5 mandolins. Nice mando but I thought overpriced by the market at the time, as it was selling for the same price as a Gibson F5. The one I had did not have the sound of a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

Let me add a bit to my previous post. I do have a Stanley F5 that I really love, and this takes care of all my mandolin needs. It does go to every gig and festival. The Loar was bought as an...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

I own a Loar. I've owned several, in fact. I NEVER take one out to a festival or a gig. Its a $150,000 liability. Sure, I play it, but only at the shop. Its a significant part of our retirement...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Dual Gibson FON's

Agreed.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: They are still out there!

I know dealers that have been doing that for 30 years, especially with electric guitars.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

I have a very expensive instrument on consignment with a well known vintage dealer. The fee for consignments over $100k is "only" 10%. The usual consignment fee at this store is 15-20%.

2% is a...
  17. Re: Collings Varnish owners- a few questions

Personally I like the varnished mandolin for the way the neck finish wears in relatively quickly and becomes smooth as glass. They are also a lot easier to touch up the finish if necessary.

On the...
  18. Re: Lost and found 1916 Gibson F2 - Need input

This happened to me once. I bought a distinctive small shop builder mandolin from a local picker (who I did not know). He provided a bill of sale, ID, etc. I called the builder to get more info on...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a 'big' mandolin

I'm a decent Irish/trad mandolin player. I've taken everything from AJrs to a 24 Loar to a Sobell to sessions, and I use vintage tortoise shell picks. Nothing I've owned will cut through several good...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: F-9 for sale on the cafe classifieds

There is no "about right". Used goods are worth what someone is willing to pay. If its too much for you....don't buy it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: F-9 for sale on the cafe classifieds

Y'all are correct, I did raise the price. I think this is a $2500 mandolin. I had it listed at $2495 and was getting offers at $2100-2200. Everybody wants a deal, so I raised the price to have the...
  22. Re: In search of red teens F4 bought at Renningers in Florida in

Stock mid teens F4, probably 1915 or 1916. Has the guard with the plastic arm but does not appear to have the big bridge cutout. Handel tuners so its 1917 or earlier. Looks like straight string posts...
  23. Replies
    Views

I realize the difficulty in retooling for mass...

I realize the difficulty in retooling for mass production. However, at 18 to 25 instruments a year (estimated by me), the Master Model is not "mass production". The price will keep them out of mass...