Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Daley Mandolins are Back?

Copperfish is correct. So far he's selling gin, as it will take some years before the whiskey is aged.

Boge
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Shippey "Axe" mandolin and bouzouki

Here's another video from last week when Jon Doran collected his "Axe" Bouzouki from my workshop.
    Jon is singing "Mary and the Soldier" , which many will know from Paul Brady's arrangement.

3. Replies
    Views

Paul Shippey "Axe" mandolin and bouzouki

I've just finished building my latest "Axe" bouzouki and Jon Doran came to my workshop to collect it this week. Along with Janice Burns on mandolin, they played some lovely tunes and songs.....here's...
  4. Replies
    Views

Our Band's New Video

My band are a bit of a (dreaded term) melting pot of musical interests...

Hope the title offends no one - this is firmly tongue in cheek!!
    Note the video guy paid scant interest in rendering an...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip Uk

From Almeria - "..... is actually rather good.... ". Only if you actually like the pick !. A few Cafe members have used both BC & Primetone picks & a few have commented onthe similarity of one to the...
  6. Re: Recommend Some Trad. Scottish/Irish/Welsh/English Tune CDs.

England has produced some quite good stuff in the last few years.

If you want something featuring mandolin, try Spiro. And anything with the English melodeon player Andy Cutting is worth hearing,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Fender Tru-Shell picks

Rob, thanks for the video. I listened both the Fender and Primetone recordings of Somewhere which provides a useful comparison.
  8. Re: My first composition for solo mandolin: "Maelstrom"

Thank you very much Rob.

The harmonics section wasn't actually supposed to be that long, but I really liked it so I ended up extending it. The idea of it was supposed to be that the bottom notes...
  9. My first composition for solo mandolin: "Maelstrom"

Hi all. I have recently had some free time and I thought I would finally try to write my own piece of music for mandolin.

It is based on a cross picking pattern (down up down - down up down) that...
  10. Replies
    Views

Sweet Georgia Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDp7jGw7Rec

Messing around with my new setup.
    dc
  11. Replies
    Views

Cool headstock photo

Hey all,

I took this shot of my headstock with this sweet filter and it reminded me of an ad or something. I absolutely love this photo and figured I'd share it with you all... feel free to...
  12. Thread: Focus

by billkilpatrick
    Replies
    Views

Re: Focus

"POSH" - acronym for "Port Out - Starboard Home" - Steamship passengers who could afford the more expensive, shaded and cooler cabins when sailing to India or Australia and back.

Frocks -...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: PICKS am i missing something

What sort of mandolin do you have and what sort of music do you want to play?

The best advice has been given, try lots. I currently use Dava Picks, I have also like Dunlop Jazz 111 Nylons and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Capo Doubters

For those of you that see no value in using a capo I present this. I was replacing a latch on a case and had to rip the lining away from the case shell. When gluing it I realized I left the clamp out...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thicker primetone picks

Those are for the folks who 'really' need more 'cutting power' in their pickin'.

Rob - In the days even before the US postal charges went up dramatically,my US bought goods were held by our...
  16. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic arranged for plucked strings

Have always loved this classic Police track, although my favourite version of this is the cover by Shaun Colvin.

I've arranged it here for an ensemble of three different mandolin parts, an...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: MANdolin or mandoLIN?

(Edited) Glad to find I'm not the only crotchety guy here.
  18. Thread: i Rig Pre

by Astro
    Replies
    Views

Re: i Rig Pre

Thanks Rob. You sounded great there. Sounds like just what I need.
  19. Replies
    Views

Nava Octave Mandolin

Hi Guys,
    Thought that you might like to see a few photos of my latest octave mandolin. At the request of the client, the tailpiece was designed for ball-end strings.
    Cheers Gary
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Setup with Detailed Photos

Missed some details I meant to mention:
    - The Weber Bitteroot is 1-1/8" nut, 14" scale with 10" radius.
    - The Breedlove Roque is 1-3/16" nut, 13-7/8" scale and 10" radius.

The bridge photo of...
  21. Replies
    Views

The nut profile can be reduced to minimize the chance for binding in the slots during tuning. Ideally, the nut height is reduces so only about 1/2 the diameter of the wound strings is in the slot....
  22. Replies
    Views

The bridge saddles need some refinement - the as received string notches are deeper than necessary and some carving needed to improve on the intonation. I believe that for archtops the string notches...
  23. Replies
    Views

A very fine tooth mill file to level the frets - stopping just as the wear marks disappear:

After leveling with the file:

Here's where I diverge from the conventional methods. I...
  24. Replies
    Views

The Breedlove nut was made really well, but the slots are somewhat deeper than necessary. A little tweaking will help with potential tuning problems, and we will need to make some adjustments anyway...
  25. Replies
    Views

The Weber has a Brekke bridge, and the Breedlove a more conventional style. Both were well fit to the top plate with no noticeable gaps:

There are several good sources for how to use...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4