Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Jerry Jeff Walker

Aww. Too bad. Great songwriter. He had a good long life, though -- longer than I would've expected. I guess he's finally off of the LA freeway.
  2. Re: If money was no object, and perfect bluegrass tone was only g

Cast my vote for Red Diamond. My F5 is just alien-technology voodoo good. And I have some other nice mandolins. But the RD is the bluegrass (and other) beast. And that goes double if I'm playing with...
  3. Poll: Re: Poll for the Song a Week Social Group Week #529

Yes, Simon, Lantern is a good tune. I leaned it, before Blind Mary turned into another come-from-behind winner. So hopefully Lantern will get another at bat. There are some petty funny comments about...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Pava Pro

Very nice! I love these.
  5. Poll: Re: Poll for the Song A Week Social Group Week #528

OK, I found a video of my friend Dr. Frank Claudy playing "Old Decency," so I'm throwing in for that. I'll try to get him to record it with me if it wins the horse race.

6. Replies
    Views

Re: F5 with an OVAL hole?

I like your thinking. I think I'd give that Collings a serious look and then go from there. I also like your adventurous ideas as to fonts and type sizes. Not sure why we're all always using the...
  7. Re: Come Hither To Go Yonder--Bob Black new book

I'll have to get my copy out and read it again. Thanks for the poke. Bob is a nice guy and a great player. And a fellow Iowan from up the road.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Are People Buying Less Mandolins Now?

Interesting to read the comments. I was expecting to see more bargains in the ads here than I have, but I'm not exactly tracking things on a spread sheet. One of my sons has a high-end bike shop in a...
  9. Re: My Mandolin satisfaction maybe related to the cost

I'm not sure price and satisfaction are related for me. If I paid a lot and it sounds really good, I'm happy. If it didn't cost too much and I like playing, I'm happy. If the playability is lacking...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Daily Cleaning Routine

I wipe mine off with a cloth and some of Dave Harvey's secret polish when I change the strings. Mainly, I want to get the beer spittle off top and upper bout. Gross but true.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-9 repair project

This is quite an education from a number of different perspectives. Thank you for these posts.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playing the circle of fifths"

Theory has its benefits and uses. I wish I knew more. And music basically is math, like it or not. I wish I were better at math, instead of being almost pathologically math-impaired. (I honestly...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playing the circle of fifths"

There are common jazz chord progressions but I don’t think they deal with the circle fifths. Not my thing, but I believe ii (meaning the 2 minor) V I is common, as is II (major) V I. As in in the key...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Concerning Loar copy mandolins

Thanks, Charles. That IS an interesting thread. I'm not wondering so much about mandolins that are intentional replicas, with careful distressing, that with bad intentions might even constitute a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Free PDF's of Technical Exercises

This is very generous. Thank you. The PDFs aren't available using a Mac but will download (via email) with an iPhone.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Top-rated mandolins for 2020

Yeah, it’s probably total clickbait. But it is an object lesson. Last night I was thinking about buying some studio monitor stands. What did I do? Google “Best studio monitor stands.” Last week, it...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm looking for a $200-$250 Mandolin.

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit Commerce to the Classifieds>
  18. Replies
    Views

Great right-hand practice routine

I found this video a while back and recently decided to give the scale workout a try. Wow! It's a great way to warm up the right hand and improve control (and conscious awareness) of what the right...
  19. You know you look at the Cafe classifieds regularly when...

...you can instantly identify many of the sellers (both commercial and individuals with repeat ads) by the style of the photos when the ad first opens.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How to build a solo?

I second CarlM's advice, and Victor Daniel's. I've been obsessing over this lately. A few thoughts: Andrew Collins told me (and he tells everybody) to embrace sucking. The only way to get good is to...
  21. Re: Song John Reischman plays in Fretboard Journal

https://youtu.be/mH8jaQteOHA
  22. Re: Has Anyone Received Stimulus Check? (Possible Mandolin Conten

I doubt I'm getting one. I did, however, just get a torrified blonde Collings MT2 that is quite lovely. It's about all the stimulation I can handle on a Wednesday morning. To adapt an old "head"...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: $25,000 Gibson on FaceBook Marketplace

I have a Stradivarius. Says right on the label: "Stradivarius / Made in China." I wonder if he's open to trades?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: $25,000 Gibson on FaceBook Marketplace

Hope springs eternal.
  25. Replies
    Views

The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

Like just about everybody else, I have a lot of time on my hands these days to stay constantly apprised of new discussions and classified listings at my favorite website in the world,...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3