Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mike Marshall & Darol Anger show on 2/9/24

Awesome that you got to go in person Sue! I caught the live stream from 2/6 on the Berklee Vimeo and last I heard it was still available here https://vimeo.com/910061358
  2. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

I would put it under the genre of dang good acoustic music that will not get nearly the amount of attention it deserves. But, that may be a bit too long for their character limit. I'd guess serious...
  3. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

WOW. Pretty outlandish (and anonymous) statement for your first post.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Consignment Advice

The last two mandolins I sold were through Kevin at Mando Mutt. Being a little over 2 hours down the road, he met me about halfway to pick them up. We picked a starting price and communicated if we...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

I've never heard of a "Gilchirst" either
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ohio Heritage Fellow : Don Macrostie

I don't need a Red Diamond right now
    I don't need a Red Diamond right now
    I really don't need a Red Diamond right now
  7. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Thanks for sharing some behind the scenes moments for those of us a bit too far away to visit! Definitely agree that chatting with Adrian is a wonderfully enlightening experience. I was lucky to have...
  8. Re: $4k (or hopefully less) Bluegrass Mandolin Search

In that price range the Northfield F5S is pretty hard to beat. It sounds like you'd want to be sure to get the Red Spruce version rather than Engelmann top though to have enough contrast with your M...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Modding a Northfield F5S

I definitely second swapping out the tailpiece to their Gilchrist style version. It makes changing the strings sooooooooooo much easier.
    I actually did that on the F5S I bought right away as I...
  10. Daddario NBM11540 Nickel Bronze also discontinued

It appears my favorite strings have also been discontinued, D'addario NBM11540 Nickel Bronze. This is the 11.5/16/26/40 set.
    I contacted my favorite strings source (Strings and Beyond) and they...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ronnie McCoury on Eastman?

I think it's possible to endorse things that you don't personally use. Ronnie may very well think Eastmans are excellent beginner to intermediate level mandolins and recommend them to folks (no idea...
  12. Replies
    Views

Sweating on the back

Hi all, sorry for the somewhat unrefined subject....but have any of you had success preventing a buildup of sweat on the back of the mandolin during gigs (particularly standing gigs with warm temps)?...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me spend $10k

If I had 10k for mandolins right now (instead of spending 3 times that on our bathroom remodel....) I would be trying to talk someone out of their used Red Diamond or possibly adding my Northfield...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Alan Niederland

He would have been so honored to be included in that. Miss our dear friend!

At Alan Bibey Mando camp a couple of weeks ago I played "Happy Birthday Bill Monroe" along with Bibey, Gabe Wiseman, Zak...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Advice!

BmTu2GpRE7o

That pretty much covers it!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap problem

One thing I like about the added weight of a Tone Gard and arm rest is that it helps that balance point some. I do still use some pressure on my right forearm at the arm rest to help keep it stable...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: May we revisit (online lesson sites)

I am currently or have been a member with ArtistWorks (Mike and Sierra), Peghead Nation (Joe K Walsh), Soundslice (Don Stiernberg), and done several Matt Flinner courses. They are all different and...
  18. Re: Has Anyone Tried the new Apollo MM2 (Mike Marshall) Pick?

Cheryl, the one I bought I requested just before the official release of the MM2 after test driving a pick Mike had on him in Swannanoa. Mine is not any larger than the original, but they may have...
  19. Ook'n'm (Marshall, Rice, Anger, Phillips) live release

Hi all,

Mike Marshall just made this live recording available to purchase on Bandcamp from a concert in 2001. Everyone sounds really great here and it's a killer setlist of New Acoustic tunes....
  20. Re: Anyone Never Get Past the 'Speed Plateau'?

Don't try to go from 110 to 120. Go from 110 to 111, then to 112 etc. Get super comfortable before moving up.

Also look for particular problem areas. You can likely play 3/4 of the tune at 120 but...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: F chop chord

Boy do I love seeing AlanN's posts on these old threads...miss him!

To stay on topic, I try to have 2 or 3 versions of every chord so that I can use whichever one makes the most sense with the...
  22. Thread: Swannanoa

by Drew Egerton
    Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa

Absolute mandolin heaven on Earth. I got to play Cedar Hill and Janice with Mike Marshall and Darol Anger. I got to play Ricochet with Darol, Joe K Walsh and 15 other friends. I met many new friends...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

I am a bluegrass/Dawg guy with a little bit of Jazz thrown in. Definitely go for that Grisman smooth tremolo.
    I'm most often using a Mike Marshall Apollo pick on my Northfield 4th Gen (F style).
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

That's so fascinating to me David, because I am absolutely the opposite. I need that thick round pick to get any kind of decent tremolo!
  25. Re: Alan Niederland Memorial Mandolin Give Away

Wonderful way to honor our friend Alan. I've got one young fellow in mind if I can convince him he doesn't need a F style as his next upgrade...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4