Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: DR Mandolin String Issues

I use them for my carved top mandolins and recently have had one D string that went wonky after a bit of use.
    The symptoms were similar to a poorly cut nut or saddle slot, so I re-dressed what...
  2. Thread: That Gil

by honeyboy
    Replies
    Views

Re: That Gil

I seemed to have been the early worm! This is an amazing mando. It's in beautiful shape and the tone is wonderful. Trying to decide which pick brings out its best voice Seems a BC TP 60 and the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How gorgeous is this intro?

Stuart Duncan is a badass
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying a Gibson Loar

It's like the question you ask your broker as to when to buy a certain stock. You usually get the answer "yesterday, so today is not too late". If you can't handle the ride, don't jump on. I've...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying a Gibson Loar

If I had the spare change laying around I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But I'd buy it to play the heck out of it with no thought as to the investment potential. I'd also play a bunch of them and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

A rare grouping. The two on the right are being prepped for finish and the A is my first oval hole. Big sound!

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

I don't consider wear, accumulated from using a tool for its' intended purpose, to be "damage".
  8. Re: Shout out to Gruhn and Carter's in Nashville!

Sound wise what mandolin impressed you the most ?
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

Man, sblock, you sure are a grouch.

Don't read it if it bothers you.

Otherwise, as the old ones say, "If you don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all."
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudes Gils and the "Loar tone"

Too rude...dude
  11. Replies
    Views

There are many topics that have been discussed "ad infinitum ad nauseum" here. What pick is the best? Is a Blue Chip really worth 35 dollars? What's the difference between F holes and oval holes? Do...
  12. Replies
    Views

If someone starts a thread and you think it's a dumb topic or whatever, is being rude about it a forum requirement?

Or can you just skip over it and read another thread instead?

Also, are you...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Zoom A3 with Schertler

Mike, yes, you can change the level of the boost, and there's also a tone control on the boost so you can dial in more or less bite to it.

This thing also seems well-built, good solid feel and all...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Zoom A3 with Schertler

OK, it arrived in the mail today and I've been playing with it tonight. Using the Schertler into the mic input, then the 5 band graphic EQ, then into some reverb sounds really nice through...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: First Time Recording an Album

I'm paraphrasing this quote, but it's something Sam Bush said to a friend of mine that is gold. "A recording is just a snapshot of where you were on that particular day, at that particular moment"....
  16. Thread: Which pickup?

by keithb
    Replies
    Views

Re: Which pickup?

I've had good experiences with the K&K internal pickup.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Searchin For Soul

This is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzWoagZ53_Q
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's fetching the most?

In order, my answer would be McCoury, O'Brien, Grisman, and Thile. Great players are better than the rest of us at a lot of things, including discovering great instruments and their builders, and the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Section House - Aaron Ramsey

Very good recording. The tunes, arrangements, playing, pace of the recording - all is terrific. Aaron has a very cool style, sort of old and new, like Wayne Benson a bit. But, his own thing.

Get...
  20. Thread: Fred Weisz

by Dawg
    Replies
    Views

Fred Weisz

It is with a heavy heart that I share the news that my dear friend and musical colleague for nearly 60 years, Fred Weisz, passed away this past Wednesday, March 16, in Everett, Washington. Fred was...
  21. Stolen Strad returned (no mando content)

Some may recall that last August a Stradivarius, stolen in 1980 from Roman Totenberg (father of NPR's Nina Totenberg), was returned to the Totenberg family. The Washington Post has published an...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Aubrey Haynie's Gilchrist

And you make it sing, buddy... :mandosmiley:
  23. Thread: Pava F5!

by yankees1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pava F5!

You may be right as I have seen a few used Ellis F5's not much more than that but some people like them new so they can put their own dings in them.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: New Passernig available

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. Since you introduced the word "favorite" -- not necessarily the "best," "most Loarish," etc. -- I will confirm darylcrisp's and pops1's predictions by nominating the...
  25. Replies
    Views

From Unicorn to Phoenix - Luthier video

Some of you love these short films on luthiers as much as I do so please let me share one more. Mr. Rolfe Gerhardt...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4