Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Gibson side bulging - looking for repair suggestions

That is fairly common. I have an old Gibson torture rack:
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 1990's - Production Mandolin Boom?

When I started working as the engineer for Gibson/Flatiron in 1995, in Belgrade, MT, Gibson had the majority of the domestic mandolin manufacturing and sales market. I believe it was something over...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Cochlear Implant

Just 2 days ago I had a cochlear implant fitted . My hearing aids were not enough to follow conversations in a quiet room with my family . The operation worked perfectly No affect on face muscles or...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Boroscope or Endoscope

Get one that has the ability to look sideways as well as straight ahead;
    Flicking the switch to change the viewing direction is much easier than trying to maneuver the single lens towards what you...
  5. Thread: Carbon rod glue

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Carbon rod glue

Gel contains rubber or other plastic filler so that would not create rigid bond. Regular CA would be better option but ou must keep the rod tight in the slot as it won't fill space and will be...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Just because I haven't posted anything here for a while, here's one of the things I'm working on.
    The mahogany that this neck blank is made from is not wide enough for a peghead. This guitar is to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Collapsed top on a bowl-back

<Sorry... that UK usage has a different meaning in the U.S.>
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for info on this mandolin

Ideally, you need to post more photos showing all aspects of the mandolin. From what I can see, judging by the tuners and tailpiece it is American made from around the early 1900s. The bowl is made...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: National ResoMando

Made “for him”? Looks pretty much like a bog standard RM-1 with Hotplate to me.
  10. Replies
    Views

Working on finishing up the rim, including installing a keystone piece to match the Sapele strip on the back. Planning to glue on the top on the coming days.

212751 212752 212753
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron truss rod wrench?

Here’s a issue I had recently with a 1948 Gibson L7 guitar. You may find this useful. I wanted to lessen the relief by tightening the truss rod. I noticed the nut still had black lacquer. The rod...
  12. Thread: Art deco F5

by fazio
    Replies
    Views

Re: Art deco F5

Here is the top in black with the binding scraped, and then later with the rest of the body varnished. I like side binding stripes because they are like a little secret only the player can see. I am...
  13. Replies
    Views

Cracking deal in the UK?

Picked up a KM-656 from Amazon for £390. Always prefer to buy from a music shop but this is a great deal. Arrived today and surprisingly doesn’t need much setting up out of the box.

Link here in...
  14. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

how he fits this style of play into song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H27FChhSi8
  15. Re: Sierra Ferrell: lots of mandolin content

Here's the CBS interview with Sierra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqc6_n_lgvE&t=336s

lqc6_n_lgvE
  16. Replies
    Views

A brace of BRW's

I recently acquired this three-point oval hole BRW to complement my two-point f-hole mandolin that I have had and adored for over 5 years now. The oval is one of only two that I know about, and was...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Backpack Straps

Hey there - sorry if we missed some of your posts or comments regarding the straps. I think we have been in touch regarding some other items (if your alias corresponds to an email address we have on...
  18. Replies
    Views

Yes John. The bridge suits the new fan-frets. The nut remains in the same place which makes it more comfortable (less strain) playing barre chords on the lower frets
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Current state of the art flat top mandolin

Charles, I just ran across drawings of a "Hamburger Cithrinchen" aka Bell Cittern in Kevin Coates "Geometry, Proportions, and the Art of Lutherie". Thought you might be interested.
  20. Replies
    Views

The picture by Harley Marty of the refretted mandolin looks like it now has fan frets, so the bridge is not necessarily off in the photo, but angled to compensate for the fan fretting, Charles E. ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

This is a fantastic analysis of a recently discovered L-5 which turned out to be the oldest known example! It was signed on February 28th 1923 and was in remarkable shape- just a 1940s tailpiece and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New to Tenor Guitar (jazz)

I never played tenor banjo, but I discovered the methods available everywhere when I got serious about learning CGDA mandola. The three books which really got me using mandola to its fullest were...
  23. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  24. Re: Current state of the art flat top mandolin

Yes they do have an induced arch. Top and Back both have a 15ft arch.
  25. Re: Current state of the art flat top mandolin

A couple of things I failed to mention that you can't get from the sound clips. My 4th generation flat tops are really loud. This mandolin has a big dynamic range, but the Ebony one has a...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4