Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: DO I need a better mandolin?

My son's music teacher suggested what I still think is the right metric -- you are ready for an upgrade instrument when you can play & hear the differences between the two.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

I received my ToneSlab pick yesterday. Triangle shaped 1.4mm, light blue color. I like it quite a lot so far. Compared to my blue chip CT-55 it has similar playability but a little brighter tone.
  3. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

If you post here on Mandolin Cafe you have to expect a wide variety of comments including some just opinions, some musing on scientific method and some in favor of anything buttressing their own...
  4. Re: Can anyone top this amount of Blue Chip pick wear?

Terrific job! I never would have equated a paper grocery bag with a grit level.
  5. Thread: Tone traveler?

by Tsavery
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tone traveler?

I have had both the Tonerite and the Tone Traveller. I sold both of my tonerites for guitar and mandolin after using the Tone Traveler.

The Tone Traveler is completely different from the Tonerite...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Advantages of stereo matched pair?

I think it mainly depends on what type of stereo mic technique you're using, because there are different setups. If you're using a "coincident" technique like X/Y or a Blumlein pair, that's where...
  7. Replies
    Views

I've done it both ways (matched pair and very different mics) and have liked the effect of both approaches.

IMO different mics will necessarily need to be an "AB" image: in this case you're not...
  8. Replies
    Views

The primary advantage, in my experience, is that when using the pair to capture (or induce) a wide stereo image, a “matched” pair avoids any kind of wandering of the placement of any instrument being...
  9. Replies
    Views

All mics are not created equal. I have two mics that are the same model, bought at the same time, but one is not a sensitive as the other. We use them for live sound and you can adjust to get a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Perhaps an obvious point, but if you're mic-ing a single instrument - stereo will generally give you more of a sense of the room.

I hate it when instrument demos... from music stores... use...
  11. Replies
    Views

@Matt I’m no expert and am just getting into recording. I recently had a similar question as to the OP, and I found this video fun and instructive. I have no idea if it’s accurate but I do like the...
  12. Replies
    Views

I think it’s important when creating a stereo image, that one side not have an intrinsically different tonal quality….you don’t want asymmetry in sound, you would perhaps then perceive the audio...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendation for a Jazz Mandolin

My Apitius J model fits the bill perfectly. plus his workmanship is top notch...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Better than a Loar??

Some people will say just about anything to sell an instrument.

Better than a The Loar, anyway, I reckon. :whistling:
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for good acoustic mandolin album

Red Allen and Frank Wakefield - The Kitchen Tapes.

Kirk
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for good acoustic mandolin album

The recording "Skaggs and Rice" is wonderful. For early recordings that inspired the duet recordings look for "the Monroe Bros" on the Bluebird label and anything by the Blue Sky Boys.
  17. Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the inquiry and feedback. Like someone said in the thread, we’re always up for talking and we encourage people to write or call us directly. Happy to explain about how we...
  18. Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

I can understand valuing an instrument made by craftsman (individual luthiers) over one made by a large factory subcontractor or even a company owned factory - as most Chinese instruments are,. ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

Maybe for the best, most expensive mandolin mandolin they offer, they want their best people doing the final graduation, the sanding and the varnish work, and maybe, just maybe, they think the best...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

But as the largest minority, we still win all the elections in this gerrymandered district.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

60% of the time I’m a bluegrass picker all the time.
  22. Thread: custom oval hole

by Rbaer
    Replies
    Views

Re: custom oval hole

It was a pleasure working with John and I am thrilled with this instrument. I'll attempt to post a video of it here. Here goes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrXEZ12wLA
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Shell Chords on mandolin

Since your chords are closed, they’re movable, but your descriptions are odd to me.

Your G7 is correct starting from the E string, your C7 (CEBb) is fine but an awkward fingering, your A7 is just...
  24. Replies
    Views

Gibson, Tonk & Kalamazoo

I'm a newbie at the Mandolin Cafe; however, fate provided me with a new, old mandolin that was somewhat of a mystery until I believe my research resolved the matter. It all began when a good friend...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Who is Behind "The Loar" Company?

I've been teaching for over 30 years. For beginning students who show up with a ~$200 entry level instruments, and can afford it, I generally recommend that they move up to an Eastman 505 after they...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4