Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What Do You Use for Editing Standard Notation

I started with Finale 3.5 and have kept up ever since, then I also bought Sibelius 2.11 in a crossgrade special and finally learned it in version 5 and now I do everything in Sibelius. I also bought...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What Do You Use for Editing Standard Notation

There are two very powerful notation apps on iPad: Symphony Pro and Notion. There are some others but those two are the best -- each has strengths and weaknesses. Both allow files to be saved in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dwight Lamb's Danish Tunes

Nice playing, nice tune! Dwight is definitely a national treasure! Thanks for sharing!
  4. Replies
    Views

Dwight Lamb's Danish Tunes

I just heard about Dwight Lamb, who is an old-time fiddler from Iowa, who also play a lot of Danish tunes which he learned from his Danish grandfather. Lamb makes frequent trips to Denmark and plays...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin strings

In my opinion there is no single weight that is better for picking than any other weight. So much depends on the specific instrument, an individual's left-hand strength, picking skill, and musical...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Weighty Question

One reason the results we hear are almost always positive is that people who go to the expense of buying something which has a negative effect on their playing often don't care to share that they...
  7. Great New Collection of Evelyn Castiglioni's Tunes

Evelyn's books over the past 5 years, ever since her first "Evelyn's Big Book 2015," have been a great source of wonderful arrangements of mostly traditional tunes, with a few originals scattered...
  8. Replies
    Views

New Book of Evelyn Castiglioni's Tunes

Evelyn's books over the past 5 years, ever since her first "Evelyn's Big Book 2015," have been a great source of wonderful arrangements of mostly traditional tunes, with a few originals scattered...
  9. Re: A tuner shootout: TC Electronic Unitune vs. Peterson StroboCl

I'm very curious about why the Peterson says "plucked rather than picked." Once you have tuned it with the plucked thumb, have you checked the tuning with a pick? I find that it's a bit sharper...
  10. Re: Negative Melodies, automatic transposition in ABC?

Rachmaninoff's "trick" was part of the "serial" school of composition (Schoenberg/Berg/Webern originally) -- it's an inversion of the original tone-row of a composition. So serial composers would...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting to study mandolin, where to start?

The answer to your question requires a few questions before it can be answered, in my opinion:
    1) what type of music do you hope to play on the mandolin? Classical, bluegrass, jazz, old-time, rock?...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Improv From Scratch

Mike, to Pete's great advice I would add that you need to lose your natural desire to sound good when you start improvising. There are lots of play-along recordings that you can practice with in the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Bickford Mandolin Method

As it stands now in the U.S. copyright for older works which were under copyright in either their first term or their renewal term when the U.S. Copyright law was re-written in 1978 have protection...
  14. Replies
    Views

B M G Magazine

I saw a post the other day which included a link to the Banjo Mandolin Guitar Magazine from England. I followed the link and have to say that I think it's a very great resource and a lot of fun to...
  15. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Sound in any amplified instrument is as much controlled/altered by the amplification used as by the construction of the instrument. Damning an entire class of instrument because you haven't heard it...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: John Goodin mandolin duets

An additional thank you, John, for knowing how to lay the music out properly! I have an Epson WF7620 printer which duplexes automatically and I simply had to use Adobe reader (could have been any...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: John Goodin mandolin duets

I just downloaded John's new book and played through a few tunes and immediately made a donation. I want to thank John for making some of his books available for free with a suggested donation --...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving without playing

I'd be careful of "resting fingers above the correct scale and chord positions" -- what did your doctor (and I would presume a physical therapist also) have to say about doing anything with your left...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: BIB, ChordPulse? Record Yourself With Backing

All this talk implying that somehow midi sounds are inferior miss the point entirely. MIDI is merely a set of instructions to some playback device. It is the playback device which produces the...
  20. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Thank you for continuing to add to your wonderful resource -- these all look like such fun to play!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluetooth pickup into blutooth speaker

I have used a bluetooth midi keyboard into my computer with a bluetooth speaker for output and there is too much latency to be useful. Better to simply spend more money (as if that's an easy thing...
  22. Replies
    Views

What is it that defines a mandolin?

I'm curious about what it is that defines and instrument as a "mandolin." I always thought it was that it was an instrument which had 4 pairs of strings, each pair tuned in unison and the 4 pairs...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Time Guru iPhone Metronome

Thank you for this wonderful app, Avi! I just purchased it and am very impressed with the settings and the entire concept of randomly muting the metronome so the musicians can find out just how...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Another type of musical notation.

I just checked clairnote out and see nothing simple about it at all -- or at least simpler than standard notation.

Any notation system, whether traditional or clairnote or tablature or whatever...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: MXL990 setup question

I don't have this mic, but a couple of things in your message popped out at me:

Why are you using a preamp -- the specs at the MXLmics web-site says it has an FET preamp built-in. Isn't that...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3