Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: James tailpiece engraving

I like the concept of you putting the Flatiron logo back onto a Flaitiron Mandolin.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

I'll be there Thursday - Sunday with some toys.
  3. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

I visited China (Shantou) some years ago. I had a mandolin with me. But, when my business associates found out I played music and was interested in Chinese instruments, they took me to music stores....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to find a beater

For a number of years I traveled a lot for work. For entertainment I nearly always carried a mandolin. Rather than taking my nicer instrument, I bought something less expensive to be my travel...
  5. Re: Chris Thile Acoustic Music Camp just announced

Wow!

This is the tuition rate chart for a local community college

6. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

You can only regret the things you don't do. Order a mandolin. The smiles will make you younger.
  7. Re: Treating Trigger Finger - My First Cortisone Injection

My symptoms were mild with only "soft" triggering and popping. The cortisone shot was not too painful. I was mildly sore that evening, but by day three the pain was gone and so was the pop. I'm two...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Determining a fair sale price

Many years ago when purchasing a small business, my lawyer handling the deal said regarding pricing: Not a penny less then he'll take or a nickel more than you want to spend.

I'm sorry, it stuck...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece busted - is this normal?

I too have been treated to phosphor bronze spaghetti upon opening a case. Some of the Allen cast tailpieces have hole patterns that match your Flatiron. Whether you do it yourself or have it...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest Peghead Inlays Ever

Still my favorite.

Let's go fishin'
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Becoming a Luthier-How?

This sounds like the perfect application for a very old saying: "Don't quit your day job."
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Big Mon Engelmann Top

In my experience, the difference between Red and Englemann can be subtle, but it can be heard. My red topped mandolin (Bob Schneider) is bright, loud and clear and totally satisfied me. MAS was at...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron A5-JR questions

I believe there was a difference in sound. As I recall, it just got a little louder, with some low end changes. The changes were subtle, but I think they were real. The Allen tailpieces come in...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile announces new PHC house band

From an accompanying article I found this quote "Thile will host 13 episodes of the show in fiscal year 2017."

If they did a show each week it would be too much like, uh like a day job.
  15. Re: U.S. DoT Issues Final Rule - Air Travel with Musical Instrume

It's like winning the lottery...except in reverse.

I travel a couple times each month, frequently with multiple legs/flights each trip. So far I've been lucky and no one has ever bothered me about...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2016

Got tickets. Got room reservation. Got Bourbon.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Danny Ferrington

There was a guy in the Seattle area with a Ferrington F5 during the 2008 -2012 time frame. We used meet at the same jams sometimes and once decided to swap mandolins for a few weeks. I got the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: I have been playing wrong all my life

I think it's good that you are now aware of the different ways to manage your right hand, but not everyone follows those guidelines. Any good teacher will find alternatives when their initial attempt...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar bouzouki or om

GBOM pictures....

Thanks Austin!!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstocks, just headstocks

An oldie, but a goodie!

21. Replies
    Views

...and more on the trout theme. It's pretty close to a #12 Adams

22. Replies
    Views

Austin and I share a trout thing. It was great fun to agree on this headstock

23. Thread: Costa Rica

by DPrager
    Replies
    Views

Re: Costa Rica

Hi David,

My wife and I spent a couple weeks in CR this past April. I too was hoping to find some live music there, but it seemed almost non-existent. We had a great time and I'm sure you will...
  24. Re: If it's not red spruce and varnish, it's cr.......?

"There is certainly a romanticism with the notion that red spruce "breaks in" offering the best of both worlds to both builder and player. If a mandolin doesn't sound great from the beginning you...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying Above Your Playing Ability?

It's been written that "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools", but I believe that craftsman is he (or she) that can identify and has the right tool for the job. Having a better saw will not...
Page 1 of 2 1 2