Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic Scales Primer

I’ve always preached the Circle of Fifths for beginners to find chords in a song, but I never knew it could be used for scales as well. So cool!
  2. Live acoustic blues show on YouTube on Thursday

Free acoustic blues show on YouTube. Thu, May 5/2022 at 8pm eastern. Join me for 40 minutes of blues played on mandolin, lap slide resonator guitar, and banjos. Tell your friends!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing a song

I've also had a lot of troubles with memorization, but seem to be improving in that area since the pandemic - now that I'm spending more time at home playing.

I'm about halfway through reading the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Live acoustic blues show on YouTube

Free acoustic blues show on YouTube. Thu, Feb 25 at 8pm eastern time. Join me for 40 minutes of blues being played on mandolin, lap slide resonator guitar, and banjos. Tell your friends!
  5. Replies
    Views

Facebook Live acoustic blues show

On Thursday night, I'll be doing another Facebook Live show, singing and playing some acoustic blues on mandolin and banjos. This will be the sixth show in a series that I've done since isolation.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What are you playing the blues on?

I use an Eastman MD515, but I make no claims to any kind of authenticity in my sound. It's just the mandolin that I have and love.
  7. Re: Another acoustic blues show on facebook live

If anyone wants to see the video from my show last night, here's the link. There were five songs on mandolin, four songs on Irish tenor banjo, two songs on five-string banjo. Spoiler: I played some...
  8. Re: Acoustic blues show on mandolin and banjos

Thanks for the endorsement, Ranald. That show at The Log Drive is probably my favourite show I've ever played: Great audience, great room, and a very supportive environment!

Here's a link to the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Songs for a wedding

You’re right: It’s just for the ceremony, and just instrumental. I’m not shy about singing, but my voice isn’t appropriate for this type of thing. I’m just making a few suggestions to the couple, and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Songs for a wedding

I guess there aren’t really any copyright issues. The wedding is happening in a private home. I’ll check this out - thanks!

I’m doing instrumentals because I’m usually a blues guy and there is...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: If you only knew it back then...

Improvising is 50% theory and 95% ear, and pretty much equal in importance.

... and math is hard.
  12. Re: Performing Solo on the 8 string... anybody had any fun doing

I do this kind of show all the time. If you do songs in G, D, or A, it's pretty easy to do solos with lots of double and triple-stops, to add some variety. Since it's tuned in fifths, the mando is a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: stuck in a rut

Some things that I do weekly:

1. I'm practicing weekly with a band of people who are all bringing original songs into the mix. That tends to switch things up a lot. They keep thinking they have to...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: slowing down wmv video and extracting

To convert to mp3, go to convertfiles.com