Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Squirrel Hunters - Which version?

I think that the John Hartford version is the one that comes to mind for most people. I learned it from this video of Sharon Gilchrist and Darrol Anger and it sounds almost identical in the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: It has finally happened (HELP!)

Turn it over and shake it for a while. It will eventually come out or get close enough to the f hole so that you can grab it. Also, you can roll up some blue painters tape on a pencil end with the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

I did because of this video! I may post video later. My recommendation is to utilize the YouTube half-speed feature :)
  4. Replies
    Views

I may need to learn this Canadian tune Grey Owl.

https://youtu.be/aBD1yOj9Gxo
  5. Replies
    Views

Experimenting with picking double-strings on mandolin, & backing harmony on faux-'tenor' GDAEB guitar. Fiddle tune "Thanksgiving Waltz". Still learning this one, I need to work on it more:

6. Replies
    Views

My C tunes:

Billy in the Low Ground
    Farewell Tryon
    Indian Eat the Woodchuck (Salyer)
    Katydid
    Leake County Blues
    Monkey in a Dog Cart
    New Money
    Peep O' Day
  7. Replies
    Views

Recently worked out a Norman and Nancy Blake tune called Blind Dog, originally done on a fiddle and cello, now with two mando's.
    Don't have a full version recorded yet, but here's a slower (and...
  8. Replies
    Views

My latest fiddle tune infatuation is Coal Harbor Bend, after it was posted as the tune of the week over at banjohangout a few weeks ago. I cannot get it out of my head! Traditionally, folks seem to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5G or Goldrush?

So the question is?
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying a Gibson Loar

I'm not being argumentative here, I'm just trying to understand your logic.

Why in the world would a Loar, being of the best or highly superior tonal qualities,
    need re-voicing/re-graduation, or...
  11. Replies
    Views

First, music and making music never falls out of favor, even in hard times. If I had no money and lost everything tomorrow, I'd still want to pick. That drive never goes away for any of us. Making...
  12. Replies
    Views

Your Goldrush is everything a Gibson should be. Follow your dream, but know that you have a "lifetime" instrument in hand. If you get the Loar I hope you'd let an old-time hack like me play it a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Read this thread So what is the real value of a Loar in today's world...lot's of goods observations by knowledgeable folks regarding pricing, investment value...Darryl Wolfe has some really good...
  14. Replies
    Views

I've been working on lots of new/old fiddle tunes lately, between mandolin, clawhammer banjo, and fiddle. One I'm having fun with lately is The Old Apple Tree by Molly and Jack Tuttle. It may not...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How to approach 'Dear Old Dixie'

Approach it from downwind, so your scent don't spook it.
  16. Re: So what is the "real" value of a Loar in today's world?

Hey Mike: Both of those F2's look amazing. :)
  17. Re: So what is the "real" value of a Loar in today's world?

An an F4? or F2? with Lloyd's moniker on the inside of the truss rod cover if I remember correctly....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Armrest Clamps

You might care to use soft leather rather than cork - unless it's ''natural' cork,not the reconstituted stuff. I've also found leather to have less 'sticktion' as well = it doesn't stick to the...
  19. Replies
    Views

You need Hill pattern clamps - they are two separate clamps, not joined at the base. You can fit them as far apart as you wish.
  20. Replies
    Views

You need viola clamps to fit a mandolin.
  21. Replies
    Views

Good one, Mike. That was in Shoo Goo homework for Winfield last year and you play it well. This year I'm putting in Polly Put the Kettle on, Mike in the Wilderness, and Five Miles From Town. Probably...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: How to play old time mandolin

Ellen Vigour is along with husband Pete a mainstay of Western Virginia OT in (great) group "Uncle Henry's Favorite" and a gazillion jams. Unpretentiously fits right in with a variety of approaches on...
  23. Replies
    Views

Nice addition Mike....I'm envious:(

Sandy
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Original cases

Gibson's case supplier was Geib from the beginning until Geib went out of business in 1976. Starting in the early 50's they also began using Lifton cases and later Ess & Ess in addition to Geib. Most...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Original cases

I just want to clarify this point.. 3 point cases are larger than the later two points. A three point F4 will not fit in a later F4 case.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4