Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Stool for tired old pickers

Like has been mentioned regular chairs are too short, and that comes from someone vertically challenged. I picked up a pair of these out of the Goodwill for $25 and they are the stuff. They are IKEA...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Writing About Bluegrass, Warts and All

As an introvert I'm baffled by folks who seek the limelight. And only through the evolution of instantaneous communication has the whole idea that with any notoriety your life is now a fishbowl and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: anodize or powder coat talipiece (?)

You should price those ovens large enough to do something like your bass! Not to mention the bill to fire that thing up as the bigger the stove the longer you have to let it preheat until it...
  4. Replies
    Views

I started out with one the cheap Eastman powdercoat guns. While it did the job, not until I finally could afford a pro rig that was $900+ did I realize the difference. The cheap gun because of the...
  5. Thread: Carbon Fiber?

by TonyP
    Replies
    Views

Re: Carbon Fiber?

After playing the MixA5 and reading about how many classical players are using them I think the OP might right. It isn't just about replacement it's about evolution. And it's obviously in its...
  6. Thread: Carbon Fiber?

by TonyP
    Replies
    Views

Re: Carbon Fiber?

I got to play a Mix A5 in Ken Cartwrights shop years ago and was at first underwhelmed by the sound. But not the feel. The neck and action were what I was used to so I kept playing and by the end of...
  7. Replies
    Views

A typical powdercoat is 2mil thick if they know what they are doing. That's the same thickness as a garbage bag so there is no added bulk. There are literally hundreds of different powders and colors...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Need a mic recommendation

The PVM480 was my goto for mandolin for 20yrs until I got a Oktava 012 with a hyper cardioid capsule. It is great for guitar too as its usually hard to get good volume before feedback with acoustic...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Black Cloud Over Gibson

I think the thread should have been called "Brain Cloud over Gibson".

For some of us we've seen this dire proclamation so many times it seems more like a ploy than an actual fact. This has got...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: John Jorgenson interview

Great interview, thanks for posting that. John is an incredible musician. What floors me is whatever genre he's doing he's authentic. He gets it inside and out. I'm totally blown away at his total...
  11. Re: Should I spend money on powered monitors or new mains?

Everything I have is self powered so I don't have any separate amps to power something like orbs but I have a spare set of ESS tweets that I've thought about trying to bodge with some kind of small...
  12. Re: Should I spend money on powered monitors or new mains?

I agree with Mandoplumb and with a lot said here. Everybody is different and I'm one of those people who hate to play without monitors. But I play with guys who almost don't seem to like them,or...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Review of the Tone Gard

Alex, that's NOT the paint, it's the old rubber hose on the arms. The new Gards have silicone hose that won't deteriorate like the old stuff. If I'd known of it at the time, I'd have gone to it. Of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

You are right Mike, plastic and surgical hose are horrible on finishes. Surgical hose is made to be disposable and when it deteriorates it turns into this horrible goo that will eat through epoxy....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: DBX GoRack - field report

It's all about feedback, but I wouldn't be surprised if the clipping is effected because it often causes feedback.

I'm totally with you about simplicity. So for me it's way easier to carry one...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: I just got a Tone Gard.

I don't have a cart on the Tone-Gard website. All you have to do is send a email through the link and we can talk. It's good to have all the details like make/model of mandolin/guitar etc and...
  17. Thread: Band too busy?

by TonyP
    Replies
    Views

Re: Band too busy?

Around here is you do less than 4sets it's not a bar gig. They also only pay dinner and a beer and whatever you can get in the tip jar.

For anything over 2 sets its now officially a job and I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

What a shock! And here I live in Los Osos!

A couple of months ago I finally had time to drop into Don's store and meet him. Very nice guy and very knowledgable. I can't say I knew him well but...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Needed with Spaghetti

Like Tim I've used cord reels (available at any hardware store)for all cables for 20+years. I also wrap colored tape (from Radio Shack)around each end to tell me what length they are at a glance. All...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff's Thoughts On Accoustics

Yes I have. His F5L prototype, one he made for his daughter and two other F5's. One of which I believe he kept for himself. I can say uneqivicably his craftsmanship is as good as I've ever seen...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: BDX Go Rack & 2 Condener mics

It's always interesting and gratifying when my impressions line up with those more competent than I. As much as I like and appreciate what the AFS does it's not magic. And the GoRack is a limited...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacob Jolliff Band

To each his own, but I like the tone in the new vid. Problem is I think he's got so much power he's causing some "crunch" in either the mic or some part of the signal chain to my ears. Jake's...
  23. Re: Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

looks nice, would love to see one in the "flesh" and check it close. Nice big storage compartment and looks like they got rid of the huge block in the lid which is + in my book. Hope the padding is...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: You know you're picking too hard when...

You know you are picking too hard when......your pick spontaneously combusts like a Spinal Tap drummer!
  25. Thread: Live mix set up

by TonyP
    Replies
    Views

Re: Live mix set up

Astro, first off I'd like to say I for one would have never known you don't feel like you're a tech guy. I always "assume" most folks know more than me. So that always makes me hesitant to chime into...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4