Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Try to find a mandolin that doesn’t have ADHD. ��
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Modes of the diatonic scale?

This doesn’t work for all of the modes, but one thing that helps me remember some of the more common ones, is that you “lose sharps” in the key signature as you go from Ionian (major) to Mixolydian...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your Gilchrist

Here’s my F-4 jr. I love that it doesn’t have an inlay, just the logo etched into the headstock, makes it a bit less conspicuous. Absolutely my favorite oval hole, and about half the cost of his...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Are travel mandolins worth it?

I’ve explored this a bunch, since I travel a lot. Didn’t love either the Seagull or the old Martin backpacker mandolin (hard to find, cheap, but they do have the advantage of being sturdy enough to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Avenue ( Original )

Lovely, fun tune!
  6. Re: Mandolin sheet music in standard notation only: where is it?

http://taterjoes.com/Fiddle/Alpha.html Is a pile of fiddle music in standard, that you can play on mandolin. Also thesession.org, tunearch.org, and abcnotation.com. That’ll keep ya for a while. :grin:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What have I got here? Bozeman Flatiron

I have one of the flatiron mandolas that had a bit of top sinkage like that. Took it in to none other than Frank Ford himself, who diagnosed that the transverse brace had become detached at one end...
  8. Re: Flatiron 1N (The one that got away) and Northfield Calhoun

I have a 1N, 2MC, and 1C. They are a little different because of the different tone woods, but not much. Pretty much any flatiron pancake is a nice instrument (sorry). Also like the big muddy’s as...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: playing partner{s]

I have a bunch of friends who use JamKazam. FWIW, to make it work well, there are a few restrictions:

- can’t really handle more than about 4 or 5 people at once
    - you need to be wired in...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Metronome

Pre-covid, I was going to take Marla’s in person Irish mandolin seminar (she’s the woman in the video). Before class she sent some exercises for us - the point of them being in Irish, pick direction...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Iwamoto F5 mandolin #118 in progress

I met Iwamoto-San last year and played in that jam. The bar is called Moon Stomp, in Koenji. He’s really nice and the whole crowd was incredibly welcoming. I saw one of his instruments in a store...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: looking for a travel mando

I travel a lot with a flatiron flattop. mc-2 I thjnk. It’s really great. I keep it in a soft uke case and can tuck it above the luggage on a plane, etc. it’s got a great tone and volume and is very...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

I have an old Calton and a new Hoffee. I like the calton better. The hoffee is both bigger and heavier, and not seemingly for good reasons. Also the gloss cost scratches if you glance at it. My wife...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Which bridge should I get?

They’re not adjustable but I’ve been having really interesting results putting Red Murphy’s 11 hole solid bridges on some of my instruments. Really changes the tone. You’ll have to make one, I don’t...
  15. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass jam at Moon Stomp in Tokyo

I was visiting Tokyo this week and looked around for jams. There’s a really great one ln the first and third Friday of each month, in Koenji, at a place called Moon Stomp. Typical small Japanese bar,...