Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm going to keep a list of them all and try them all. I have a feeling that this is one of those injuries that is going to recur even after it gets better.
  2. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

Here's my anon. French mandolin, likely from the first half of the 19th c. It's only a little anachronistic, and I still apply the historic stringing from the 18th-c. method books to it. Not easy...
  3. Willie Nelson with Marty Stuart on emando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOptU-3N_Sg

Solo at 1:10
  4. Replies
    Views

That Great Day by Jonny Lang…Sam Bush??

Heard this song on random and the mandolin double stop accompaniment is very sweet. Discog says Sam Bush is playing but I that’s the only source I found, and they called the song The Great Day. I’m...
  5. Replies
    Views

My first oval hole

Had an itch to get something different. Nothing fancy, just an Eastman MD404 I found used on Reverb. I was immediately struck by how different it sounds from my 2 F-hole mandolins. Sorry for the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

Really enjoyed this video, thanks for posting!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

One of my fav songs Alternating Current/Direct Current is Trinitrotoluene.
    It’s fab.

Rapid eye movement is another one.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

Agreed 100% ... I play very regularly at a jam and have played both an F hole and oval hole at said jam. What I have found is that while an oval has a place in one's arsenal, it typically gets lost...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

Ted nailed it. That's why I own both. Like why so many guitarists have different guitars as well as banjo players and fiddlers and dobro, well wait, perhaps not dobros.
  10. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I’d rather the plane crash than to have listen to a kazoo
  11. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

-incorrect Dave!

Have you not considered aircraft accidents? Yes, they do happen.
    A flimsy mandolin is obviously out of the question but a Kazoo would be an intelligent instrument to learn.
    It...
  12. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Based on that thinking we should all be playing the piccolo:))
  13. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

There is no need to ever check a mandolin. That's why we selected that instrument: Because it will fit in the overhead compartment of any commercial aircraft
  14. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I'm glad it had a happy ending. Good luck with your father in this time of transition.

Jamie
  15. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

One time I was talking to an air hostess, saying I was concerned about losing my guitar on the airline.
    She said: lose your guitar? that's nothing, one time we nearly lost the airline!
  16. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Long ago I flew into Savannah on a small flight from Atlanta, so everything went underneath. For bag retrieval my approach is to stand back, half way down the carousel and wait till my suitcase...
  17. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I would never take my mandolin on a family vacation due to the high cost of divorce but I do take my backup mandolin on work trips. It’s a Kentucky 250 which isn’t an heirloom. In addition to not...
  18. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

The worst mandolin incident I had in Australia was in 1977, returning from the shower to my cabin in an isolated Western Australian mining camp - I sat on my mandolin, cracking the carved top.
  19. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I have accepted to lose a few days of practice every time I travel, because I am too scared of something like this happening.

I am an amateur beginner player, so it is not a big deal for me, but I...
  20. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

It’s like losing love, you still have the ability or even the memory afterwards, if not the object.
  21. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Back in the early 2000's I was flying back to San Francisco after spending 10 months back home in Ireland. I was traveling with my '57 Gibson J50 acoustic guitar and my '68 Gibson Trini Lopez...
  22. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Sometimes I look at my octave mandolin and feel really sorry for anyone who has never bonded with a musical instrument* (or their own singing voice).
    Imagine?

* Though I don’t mean the specific...
  23. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I would be very upset. I have traveled a bit in Oz (for work) and have taken my mando. Fortunately, I have never had a situation where I had to check in my mando. I''m usually on when of those...
  24. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I'm so glad your story had a happy ending! Hoping the best for your dad :)
  25. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

:crying::crying: :grin::grin: :mandosmiley::mandosmiley:
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4