Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing loss (NMC)

I have had hearing aids for almost 20 years, and each time (every 4 years) they need more and more "boost". They help me a lot, and I think I have had better luck with them than Poul Hansen. It...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gordon Lightfoot (no mandolin content)

Black Day in July, remember it well, my college room mate that summer was from Detroit. It probably doesn't mean so much to younger generations, but a powerful song.
  3. Replies
    Views

Herschel Sizemore passes

From Mike Bub's Facebook page and Bluegrass Today. Rip Herschel Sizemore
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Anthony Hannigan

Just saw on Facebook that Anthony has unfortunately lost a long and courageous battle with his disease. A fantastic player, and a genuine nice guy.
    RIP Anthony.:(
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

Our Bluegrass Association cancelled 4 concerts through June. Both of my bands have stopped getting together 2 weeks ago, as we are in the older category, and I expect the gigs we had scheduled for...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Quite ill with a trach and a feeding tube

As we say over here, "God Bedring" = Good Bettering, i.e. get well soon!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tunes with History?

In 1972 I was at the fiddle contest in Weiser, Idaho, and Benny Thomasson was in the contest. My fiddle teacher knew Benny so I spoke to him to pass along regards, then mentioned how much I liked...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tunes with History?

According to Wikipedia, the tune has been played in Scotland for over 200 years, and they name a reference in the US from 1760, so it is apparently older than the US Civil War. I have heard...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

There was a video about Rolfe on the Cafe a while back. This should save searching.

link to Video on Rolfe

Thanks for all the good mandolins you provided, Rolfe, my son has one, and it's a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Notation/Tab Softwares

I have used Tabledit for 15+ years, I think when I started it was 20 dollars or so. Since that I have not paid anymore, obtained untold upgrades for my PC, got permission to use it and upgrades on a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

I have used Audacity for a lot of things. The latency problem shouldn't be a big issue, there are several how-to videos on YouTube. The basic idea is the make a click track, record it back on to a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpieces: I wasn't a believer til . . .

There is a older thread about this, as I remember, most didn't find big differences.

Older thread: Adding-a-Cast-Tailpiece

I changed from a stamped to an Allen some years ago, and really...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids for musicians

Posts 3 and 7 are pretty much what I have and am quite pleased with. One thing to think about is the speaker arrangement in your ear channel. One type is the open type of device, in which the...
  14. Thread: Mandolin Hero

by Spencer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Hero

My main hero/inspiration was Nate Bray for those who know of him. I recently digitized a bunch of our band's old cassette practices from 25 years ago. You would never mistake my playing for his,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Svend Asmussen - RIP

It was just reported by the local press, that the famous Danish jazz violinist, Svend Asumssen passed away today at the age of 100.

Spencer
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Vassar on fretless mando...

I was lucky enough to be at a recording session in 1974, where Vassar overdubbed a break with a flat picked fiddle: Soldier's Joy on Pat Burton's album: "We've been waiting for this", on Flying...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: A versus F Style Mandolin for Bluegrass playing

I actually came pretty close to this when I got my last mandolin. There were 4 recently built mandolins in the shop, two A style two F style, the latter with the simple type of scroll, hollow, with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius Grand Classic in bound

I played one at Elderly years ago, and at the time it was the best they had in the store, a fine mandolin in all respects. I'm betting you will like it a lot.

Spencer
  19. Re: Should I loosen the strings when traveling by air?

I've had my mandolins across the Atlantic and back many times, and I have never loosened the strings. Haven't had any problems. I don't think the pressure should bother, since the body is open and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Start from your earliest influences . . .

Randy Blake's Suppertime Frolic and other country music on WJJD, WLS barn dance every Saturday nite, and like Mark, learned harmony from church, where the congregation sang in harmony. Little...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Where can I learn more about Jethro Burns?

Jim Nikora took a lot of lessons with Jethro, and made copies of them public quite a while ago. Here is a link to them:

Jim Nikora's lessons with Jethro

Don't forget Jethro and Tiny Moore's...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Small band, small venue equipment

I have the Stagepas 600 system. I looked at the 400, and decided to go with the 600. Some of the factors were 3 band equalizers instead of two, more inputs, and a bit more power. It has echo as...
  23. Re: Where have all the Bluegrass Rhythm guitar players gone

Chris Sharp has really studied the Lester Flatt rhythm style, and has a whole course on YouTube. This is the first in a series of many videos.

https://youtu.be/lbbxhcqUwTM

Lester's rhythm...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Jim Buchanan (NMC)

He played with Jim and Jesse after Vassar, I saw him play with them at a show in Indiana in 1970. I believe he also played with the Greenbriar (sp?) Boys. Always seemed to be smiling, good player...
  25. Thread: Larry Rice

by Spencer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Larry Rice

There are 7 recordings listed on Amazon, search under Larry Rice digital music. (Another Larry W. Rice turns up, but it's clear who's whom) I have several of them, and enjoy them a lot. For...
Page 1 of 2 1 2