Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The UPS Man Brought Me a Present

It looks like it's going to be offered on a longer-term basis. They're currently up on the regular site for $599.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you're one of the 60 or so odd folks like me that...
  2. Replies
    Views

The UPS Man Brought Me a Present

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but that's OK, because I *do* believe in the UPS guy and he brought me a present today. My new Eastwood semi-hollow tenor. Still need to dig out an amp to see how it...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Guitars/Guitarists

The person who pushed me hardest to "learn the tunes first" was Dáithí. I took DADGAD guitar lessons from him for a while and it became clear just how nuanced his approach is (and how in over my head...
  4. Replies
    Views

I completely understand. I also play wooden spoons and other folk percussion. I'd NEVER bring those to an Irish session, though the Irish band I'm in does utilize my playing of those in a few spots....
  5. Replies
    Views

There are a few reasons that contribute to the attitude you're noting.

First is that, while bad players of all sorts bug people, it's really rare for someone with only 3 months of playing...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Introduction to Celtic Music

Something that I rarely see mentioned in discussions of starting with Irish/Scottish music is which *kinds* of tunes to start with. Personally (I can only speak for myself), different tune types are...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Most well known Irish tunes

I personally shy away from the most popular songs because of how incredibly over-done they are. It's reached a point where, when an Irish band puts out an album, I can usually guess 80% of the songs...
  8. Kickstarter for Paddy O’Brien Tune Collection: Volume 3

Paddy O'Brien has been working for a while now on his recordings of literally hundreds of Irish dance tunes. If you haven't already seen (or own) his previous 2 volumes, they're a must-have for...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: repertoire suggestions for octave mandolin

In Irish tunes, the ones I like playing on the OM are those that take advantage of the lower courses of strings. That can either be most of the tune genuinely being lower or that it sweeps through...
  10. Replies
    Views

My Weber Gallatin F Is Ordered

Pulled the trigger this week on an F-style mandocello from Weber. The Mandolin Store had one slated for "August delivery", but with the way Weber's production seems backed up, if I get it in the next...