Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Three To Get Ready

This Musescore chart seems useful.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

From the same period, here's some fine mandolin playing by Nancy Blake at 33:20. The tunes are: Within A Mile/Durham Rangers/Far from Home/Primrose Lass.

If the links don't work, search for...
  3. Re: Vivaldi's (and other's) mandolin works on "original" instrume

Unfortunately, I suspect you'll be much harder pressed to find recordings of the others—the Mozart and Beethoven pieces—on 6-string/6-course instruments. I've seen some amateur videos shot by...
  4. Vivaldi's (and other's) mandolin works on "original" instruments

Elsewhere, mandopops lamented:

I began reply . . . Lots of recordings of the Vivaldi works on 6-course instruments. Some of my favorites are by Il Giardino Armonico primary soloist Duilio...
  5. Replies
    Views

Norman Blake is 86

I just read that Norman Blake turned 86 on 10th March, and I would like to wish him well.

I saw him play on my first trip to the USA in 1977, and have always enjoyed him ever since.

Thanks for...
  6. Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

I am SO happy to see that Paul Hostetter's website is again available; when I last looked 5 or 6 months ago, it was not. It's a wonderful resource, and he was a frequent poster here.

IIRC, his...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Carnivale Of Venice

Here is another unreasonable set of Variations on Carnival of Venice by Valentine Abt. The unreasonable part is going back and forth between harmonics and arpeggios!

8. Re: Grappelli style harmonics in swing jazz?

Distel is Ray Ventura's nephew. His uncle had a great role in launching jazz in France and led a band which included Henri Salvador who said he has taught his first chords to Sacha before seing the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Grappelli style harmonics in swing jazz?

Encountering Sacha Distel originally as a middle of the road crooner, I was surprised when I learnt that he had been a decent jazz guitarist and had composed two classic songs: The Good Life and Ma...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Grappelli style harmonics in swing jazz?

There are a number of videos with Distel available on YouTube.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson "F-3"

I never bought a mandolin from Jon Lundberg but I did buy my first good banjo from him just before I headed home from being in the service. It was an interesting little shop.
  12. Replies
    Views

Grappelli style harmonics in swing jazz?

While we do have 12 or so natural harmonics available on the mandolin, I haven't heard them employed as freely as violinists use them in swing jazz.

Grappelli in particular (e.g. 1.00 to 1.04...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson "F-3"

I have to tell my F-3 story here. Iwas in high school and it was 1964, and I was thinking I wanted to play mandolin. Super unpopular thing to want to do 60 years ago in small town California! I was...
  14. Replies
    Views

A Pair of Ceccherini's

One of these I've been playing for while, the other is newly restored, not often you get two of these in the same place at the same time!

In addition to the level of decoration, the main...
  15. Como llora una estrella - Venezuelan waltz

This is a famous Venezuelan waltz composed by Antonio Carrillo, it is already going to be a century old...:mandosmiley:
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The Vermont Mandolin Trio

Yes, that's Matt in the red shirt. Next to him is Will Patton and on the right is Jamie Masefield. Pat Melvin is on the bass.
  17. Replies
    Views

The Vermont Mandolin Trio

Enjoy!

Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqDEMQZw314
    QqDEMQZw314

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nya2-HSWvJA
    nya2-HSWvJA
  18. 1930s René Gerome French flatback mandolin

I acquired this via French site Leboncoin - some interesting instruments can appear there but you usually need a French phone number and mailing address.

It needed some attention: raising the...
  19. Paul Glasse on video w/Western Swing band 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6BpXBpp0vQ
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Vibrações - Jacob do Bandolim

Another great version of this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXqlJ0Zydc

-David
  21. Replies
    Views

This is one of the all-time great tunes in ANY genre and it's cool to hear all these interpretations. Here's my band rehearsing the tune for our show a couple months back at the Freight & Salvage...
  22. Replies
    Views

AndyC who used to post regularly here put up this set of backing tracks on SoundCloud back in 2015. I think he played all instruments. He was quite diffident about the tracks at the time - I'm no...
  23. Replies
    Views

Carinhoso - Pixinguinha

This is another choro standard that doesn't need much introduction...:mandosmiley:
  24. Replies
    Views

wow, Bruce, that's the big leagues, the highest level! :mandosmiley:
  25. Replies
    Views

Thanks Jairo - that certainly inspires me to make a start.
    And I see a chart for Vibrações can be found online:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YYqmDPIlteuRkzcUMkNL7M7TwO-NxH-0/view
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4