Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: issue with tuners

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: issue with tuners

But you need to rest the headstock on something and with tuners on you risk breaking the knobs or bending them or at least deep imprinting of the tuner plate (especially DIY guys). I prefer removal...
  2. Replies
    Views

Being an "old timer" myself, I remember when wooden spools were just about as common as popsicle sticks. Lots of people had Singer sewing machines and made and mended clothing. Thread came on...
  3. Replies
    Views

I set bushings (with the tuners removed) using a small piece of 3/8" dowel and a tap from a small dead blow hammer, well supported from below. After wrestling with the same issue on an earlier...
  4. Replies
    Views

Just my amateur observation that, hopefully, shouldn't apply to a quality instrument. But you never know ...

Some tuners have, for lack of a better term, "welding nubs" on the back side where the...
  5. Thread: issue with tuners

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

I'd suggest removal of the tuners and use a phillips screwdriver with hard rubber/plastic handle as a fixture to seat the bushings without risk of banging on your headstock. Just insert the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Welcome and no need to apologize. Posting questions and getting answers helps everyone on here learn. Now you'll have to post some more pictures of your mandolin!
  7. Replies
    Views

Yes, they’re only pressed in, and are creeping out. Not a serious problem. Should not affect tuner operation. If it’s a fancy veneer, leave it to a good technician since if they’re installed wrong,...
  8. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

I recently discovered TG4 and it's been life changing. They only upload short clips on youtube with links to their own webplayer, which is open to anyone in the world. In addition to Hup there is...
  9. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

If you want to go down a rabbit hole of great Irish trad music, the YouTube channel for Hup (a great trad programme that was on TG4, our Irish language station) is a good starting point:
  10. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

I still enjoy bands. I listen to Danu, Malinky, Old Blind Dogs, Bua, Tannahill Weavers. I also like Barry and Laura Kerr, Ye Vagabonds. It would help to know what you've got that you don't like to...
  11. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

For getting new stuff thrown at me I usually like to tune in to TG4 https://www.tg4.ie/ga/ Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh did a series Geantraí with Julie Fowlis which was pretty special they loop in to...
  12. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

What Dagger says, certainly as far as Scottish music goes, and I would add the very many excellent Scottish Country Dance Bands, generally accordion-led, with second accordion, piano, fiddle, bass...
  13. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

Hi,

In terms of listening I like fiddle music with Duncan Chisholm and Pete Clark being my favourites. They both lean towards slower paced tunes, which suit my ability to translate them to...
  14. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

Depends what you feel like listening to.

Gaelic singing - maybe Julie Fowlis or Kathleen McInnes.
    Fiddle bands - Blazin' Fiddles, Session A9, Fiddlers Bid.
    Fiddle- Duncan Chisholm is essential...
  15. Replies
    Views

That famous cello prelude, deconstructed

I love this video of this cellist explaining why this piece is so very iconic and brilliantly composed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIge2mYdTtM