Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Template material

Lexan can be difficult to cut. Although it may seem counter productive you may want to try the following method next time.
    1. Make a templet using 1/2” or 3/4” plywood or mfd.
    2. Cut your Lexan...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Remove gunk from 1924 Gibson neck

I have had success using the rotten stone abrasive powder mixed with liquid furniture polish creating a slurry. The rotten stone is just coarse enough to remove the gunk without creating scratches. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

Don’t postpone joy. If you can afford it, do it.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: table top drill press

I’m a retired shop teacher. I always told my students to keep their head away from the spinning chuck. One day a student didn’t follow instructions. Low and behold he had a scuffle with the drill...
  5. Thread: Neck Blanks

by Phil-D
    Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Blanks

Check the classifieds there is someone there that sells rims and necks. I can’t recall his name, but it was recently posted in the last few weeks.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: aging fingers just can't cut it anymore

I just turned 70 two weeks ago and having taken up the mandolin in my early sixties I have nothing to compare as far as speed and loss of ability. I’m happy with two finger cords and just modeling...
  7. Thread: Practice wood?

by Phil-D
    Replies
    Views

Re: Practice wood?

Take a walk through your local Lowe’s. You would be pleasantly surprised at some of the figure maple in the racks.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Player Magazine!

We have that in the E- version. It’s called mandolin cafe
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Width Preference?

It’s amazing how the human brain adapts to different sizes. Although I prefer a wider nut, a narrow doesn’t bother me, and I can adapt very easily. There are times when I play one of my mandos then...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Myth of Perfection

I’m a retired shop teacher. I would tell my students that “We strive for perfection. If we cannot achieve it, strive for the illusion of perfection”
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Thank you, Eastman

Are you aware that Eastman mowers only cut Blue Grass?
  12. Thread: Resonators

by Phil-D
    Replies
    Views

Re: Resonators

I have two resonators. A Recording King and a National RM1. They both have a different sound and a place for that particular sound. I think that most of the responses here that didn’t like the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I be insulted?

Are your strings made from cat gut?
  14. Thread: Starter Tools

by Phil-D
    Replies
    Views

Re: Starter Tools

Like most things it is much cheaper to buy used. I often stop at garage sales and flea markets just to see what they have. Most people now a days don’t know what a plane, spoke shave, or a scraper...
  15. Thread: NJ/NYC Suburbs

by Phil-D
    Replies
    Views

Re: NJ/NYC Suburbs

There is a jam at the Ocean County Library in Point Plesant Beach on (I believe) the third Tuesday of every month. If you call the library I’m sure they will confirm the time and date.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap peg keeps popping out

Just glue it in place as stated above and be done with it. Why risk having the strap come off because of a loose pin. If you drop your mandolin there would be damage weather it had a pin or not.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on Fixing This Broken Headstock?

Why not contact Bouvier and get a reset neck?
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Craftsman Bandsaw

Old band saws are worth restoring if need be. Check to see if the blade tracks well, that the bearings run true, and that the motor works. Im a retired shop teacher and always had a Delta in the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues, Stomps, & Rags #6

Yeah baby. We need more of this! Thanks and keep them coming.
  20. Re: Caption Contest - Win a free Mandolin Cafe ball cap

"Seas the day"
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Incredible woodworking machine

I've been a woodworker for over 50 years. Judging by the width of the plank, I'd say it's a toilet paper maker for Sumo Wrestlers.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on gouges

Another option, before buying new, would be to scour flea markets, garage sales, and Craigslist. I would also like to suggest that you learn how to sharpen them.
  23. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Plastic laminate (Formica) comes in two thicknesses. 1/32" for vertical applications and 1/16" for counter tops. The samples at your home center will be 1/16".
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

There is no such thing as a bargain tool. You end up paying more than once. I may suggest that you look into flea markets and garage sales for good quality tools. Spend your money on a decent...
  25. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

I often wonder what would happen to our availability to our products, if our relations with China were to suddenly go sour.
Page 1 of 2 1 2