Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

I want to urge the OP to read carefully Jill's post #17 in this thread. It is very well organized, well-written and full of good advice from someone who has been playing traditional Irish music and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Amazing Sloww Downer questions

After having created a loop (by pressing the START Pt and then the END Pt) you click on the File menu, select Save Song As and then choose either Wav or Encoded, as you prefer. (I recommend Encoded,...
  3. Thread: JamKazam?

by MikeyG
    Replies
    Views

Re: JamKazam?

I am the person that DougC referred to above. I've been using JamKazam (JK) for over 8 years. While the requirements are steep (microphone, audio interface, headphones & a wired Internet...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Top-rated mandolins for 2020

I like this CON in the review of the EJ-74 strings:

"Keep in mind the size of these strings as they will make a great fit only for medium-sized mandolins"

MikeyG
  5. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

REALLY lovely, Aidan. Especially on that instrument. Well done.

MikeyG
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: On-Line Jamming Apps?

Don, I've been using a Presonus AudioBox USB that I bought on Reverb for less than $100 with a reasonably fast (500 mbps download, 22 mbps upload) Internet service to jam successfully with a friend...
  7. Re: New to playing Celtic music but I see its big locally

THANK YOU SO MUCH for that, Jill!! Holy cow! Not only is it great music (as you said) but the list of videos seems to go on endlessly. Hours and hours of really fine Irish trad.

MikeyG
  8. Re: Anyone know of Dennis Olson mandolins? Fisher, MN

Jim - No need to excuse your comments - you call 'em as you see 'em. No offense was taken. Thanks for the kind words.

Mike - Yes, I'm the G of G&O Mandolins. Here's a photo of my favorite...
  9. Re: Anyone know of Dennis Olson mandolins? Fisher, MN

Dennis Olson and I built mandolins as a retirement hobby from 2006 until last year (2018). We stopped last summer for lack of energy. We sold a few but gave away most to friends, relatives and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings Pick Guard Removal

From Mark Althans, a very fine Collings Customer Service employee:

"You will need a 5/64" allen wrench to unscrew the pickguard platform from treble side fingerboard extension"

I followed...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

The course involves no interaction with Marla, other than that mentioned by James in post #19. Furthermore, the videos are not downloadable - they must be viewed online. The pdf's and mp3's however...
  12. Thread: Skype Help

by MikeyG
    Replies
    Views

Re: Skype Help

There is!!! I've been using software called JamKazam to play tunes with my pals in Minneapolis & Austin, TX for nearly two years. It requires a speedy WIRED Internet connection (no Wi-Fi!!). Your...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The waiting is the hardest part!

I feel your pain. I found that frequently checking the tracking website doesn't help the package arrive any sooner. :(

OTOH, FedEx does deliver on Saturday to residences. :)

MikeyG
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tweed Cases. Really don't need one, but...

YEAH, I love 'em too. I've used them for years. They don't absorb the heat like the solid black ones do. They fit A and F-style mandolins, right or left handed. But, whadaya mean - "no sticker...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble A5 into new Collings mandolin case

My 2006 Kimble A5 fits perfectly in the new Collings case. Very nice fit. The mandolin doesn't move at all inside the case.

MikeyG
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for THE book

The only book I know that meets your requirements is the one mentioned in a previous post "Mandolin for Dummies" by Don Julin. (The Mel Bay book you mentioned may not be particularly up-to-date.) ...
  17. Re: straw poll: what's your favourite pick for trad/celtic playin

Three credits to Jill for starting this topic. :) Here are my current favorites for playing traditional Irish & old-time tunes on mandolin. I scoured the replies & found that neither of these has...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Butterfly, strict picking

GREAT job, Jill! I would play it with those same pick directions. I think you get the proper emphasis that way.

My goodness, you're getting fantastic volume from that A-Junior. What strings...
  19. Thread: Polka Picking?

by MikeyG
    Replies
    Views

Re: Polka Picking?

Of course, Cobalt! You found another way which seems more natural to you. It would be great to hear how it sounds that way - could you post a recording? (And THANKS for the crotchet/quaver...
  20. Thread: Polka Picking?

by MikeyG
    Replies
    Views

Re: Polka Picking?

That's the way I would do it - mostly down strokes. Here are a couple of examples:

https://soundcloud.com/mikeyg-777132705/tettegouche-polkas

Of course, there are other ways -...
  21. Re: Do you primarily play your own musical compositions?

Thanks for the nice comments, Caleb. The recorder I use is the Edirol R-09HR. I've always used the built-in microphones and gotten good results. It seems to run forever on a pair of rechargeable AA...
  22. Re: Do you primarily play your own musical compositions?

Since Caleb's original post, I must've made up about 5-6 tunes. I've put some on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/mikeyg-777132705/tettegouche-polkas
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: calling all Andy Irvine fans...

Absolutely NOT! Jackie no longer plays with Patrick Street but teams up with Matt Cranitch regularly. They produced a cd in 2014 titled Rolling On. And another called The Living Stream in 2010. ...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in peace - Joe Carr

Indeed, mine was one of those lives. Although we never met in person, we exchanged hundreds of emails during the years we wrote our book on Irish mandolin. Published by Mel Bay (of course!) in...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tools for writing in standard notation?

I recommend MUP (MUsic Publisher) which can be found (for free) at www.arkkra.com It is available for most operating systems (windows, OS X, linux, etc), prints very high quality music but takes a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2