Search:

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Five Course Flat-top Mandola with Asymmetrical Body

I have completed the prototype of a five-course flat-top Cgdae mandola with a 15.5" scale length, that I have posted about in '. . .What's on your Bench' while it was in progress. While I say that I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A 10 string variable scale story

Hi Tavy,

I am very excited to see what you have done here. I'm currently working on a 5 course, ten string instrument and have wrestled with some of the same issues you have discussed here. My...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Hi Dave,

Good questions, thanks for asking.

I agree that it's easier to cut the slots prior to tapering and affixing the fretboard, but I have a specific reason for doing it this way. I've had...
  4. Replies
    Views

Beautiful job, Jo. As always, really lovely work. Thanks for posting it.
  5. Replies
    Views

That's a good idea, or maybe a round soundhole drop-in carving that contains a cat silhouette. I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with. I have to finish this mandola first. In...
  6. Replies
    Views

I thought I'd fill you in on the latest instrument I'm working on. It's been a while since I've posted because, between farmwork and playing, I've been way too busy. I need to slow down! It's OK...
  7. Re: Gibson Model Designations' (Very) Loose Connection to Cat Gen

That sound you hear is my cats hissing at you. Be afraid. . .very afraid. HissssssHisssssHisssss
  8. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: How often do you tune your Mandolin?

I tune or at least tweak the tuning regularly, even when playing for my own enjoyment. It's more about training my ears to recognized a well-tuned instrument than anything else. If I don't play in...
  9. Nylon-Strung Piccolo Mandolin- My Latest Build

I have just finished a nylon-strung, 4 string piccolo mandolin I've been working on for several months. It's for a very patient musician in California, and I certainly appreciate his patience.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Piccolo and My Piccolo Trio

To be clear about Piccolo mandolins, they are not just a smaller mandolin. Piccolo mandolins are the sopranino member of the mandolin family. Their bodies are proportionately smaller than a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: New Piccolo and My Piccolo Trio

Hi Jim,

I really enjoy your piccolo mandolin posts, being a piccolo mandolin enthusiast myself. I thought I'd post a photo of the trio of piccolos I am playing these days.

The first on the...
  12. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

I don't think we, as mandolin enthusiasts, have ever had so many good instruments to choose from, at so many different price points and option choices. I see it as all good. Good imports from...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's talk about Virzi's

For me, it's a matter of the individual instrument, or the individual builder. If the instrument I like has a Virzi, I'd buy it because I like the instrument. If the instrument I like doesn't have...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in very cold temps

Think about your own safety, as well. Make sure you have enough ventilation if that is an unvented propane heater.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I want to build a mandolin

Given what you've said, I doubt a kit will ultimately satisfy you. I suggest you build from scratch.
  16. Re: Wrecked fingers can't make 'block chords', time to quit?

Seriously, if you've been trying for two days, you haven't even started trying. There are more ways of playing this versatile little instrument than you can imagine. Don't listen to anyone who...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Consignment Advice

I, too, have found that the one shop I do consignment sales with tends to get considerably more for the instruments than I can get selling on my own. When I figure that in with the simplicity of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatbacks of note

Hi Mick,

This looks like a nice little piccolo, and I'd love to have a chance to hear it, or even better, play it. I'm actually quite a fan of piccolo mandolins, having built a number of them at...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Binding- searched forum

I have noticed, however, that some builders tend to do a rather sloppy job of joining the top and the ribs, then cut away and cover with binding. Not the way to do it, in my opinion.

Some really...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a mandola?

Yes.
  21. Thread: New Member

by Bob Clark
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Member

Welcome, Joe! Always good to have another player onboard. I believe Kentucky KM 276s are pretty nice instruments. Others here will chime in. I just wanted to give you a quick welcome.

Bob
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressed Mandolin and Regular Playing

Hi Jeff,

I agree completely. Actually, I'll take it a step further. Vintage is a winemaking term with a specific legal definition. It means the year the grapes used to make the wine were...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tale of the Burgin and the Phoenix

Destiny!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tale of the Burgin and the Phoenix

Good morning to you all. Yesterday I had the great pleasure of meeting another long-time Cafe member and we had a wonderful time. I really do believe that Scott has done us a great service by...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger style mandolin

It's one of the reasons I am prototyping nylon strung mandolins.
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4