Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you keep your picks and stuff in?

I have this little wood Mandolin shaped box my daughter gave me as a present. I love it.

Joe B
  2. Replies
    Views

My new and first electric mandolin!

Boy oh boy! I unexpectedly got an Eastwood Mandostang for Christmas and I'm having a blast! For some reason, I jumped right into playing jazz standards (I used to study jazz guitar back in the day)...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie with mandolin kit question

Thanks for the info on the IV kits. I will take a look at them.
    Great job on yours !!!! Looks amazing.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite A style mandolin?

I have one of the original (pre-Koch Brothers acquisition) Shmergel Radiators - got that Radiata soundboard that radiates a lotta sound. Would post a pic but it crashes the whole forum if I try to...
  5. Replies
    Views

A new prototype mandolin

One of my projects over the next year or so is building a mandolin quartet, maybe even a couple. I am not sure what is going to happen to them once they are built, but we will see what happens. I...
  6. The Year Folk Broke: How Nickel Creek Made Americana The New Indi

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/13/814739478/nickel-creek-self-titled-20-years-americana-roots-folk-country

"Then, 20 years ago this month, an album arrived that seemed to speak all these languages at...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Anyone Built a Cigar Box Mandolin?

Nice ukes Chinn, I am building several starting next week, just waiting for my craft lathe to show up so I can turn my bridge pins from my own wood. I hate the way the ties look on the simple...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: A word of encouragement (but maybe not)

Agreed, to get even more philosophical, I believe in setting goals we first need to look at our reasons for wanting to play music. To illustrate what I mean, here's my story - when I started playing...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: My International Violin A-Style Build

Nice job!
  10. Replies
    Views

Excellent!

Jamie
  11. Replies
    Views

Beautiful work..
  12. Replies
    Views

Wow that looks great! Nice job so far!
  13. Replies
    Views

Nice work! Looks great for a first effort!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Why the connection?

I find a 50/50 split of people thinking that because you can play one instrument, you can play another.

Some folks are surprised that I can play another instrument besides (whatever it is that I...
  15. Re: Need suggestion on removing bad finish from a build.

Never mind my last post. I just read your post on the other thread. I've used Mohawk Instrument Lacquer for years. The "too much plasticizer" would act like that.
    I'd scrape as much off as possible...
  16. Re: Need suggestion on removing bad finish from a build.

You can mask the bindings while the rest of the instrument is being stripped.
    You might start out dry, and carefully try some coarse steel or plastic wool or even a coarsely sharpened cabinet...
  17. Replies
    Views

Mandolin art (drawing)

I did this piece a few years ago and recently ran across it. Thought someone here might enjoy it as a desktop background or something. Pretty sure this is an old painting or photo I saw and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull's 1926 Gibson Mandola

Sierra just got her '26 Gibby 'dola back from Dave Harvey, and posted a very brief sampling on Facebook. Here it is for those who are able to see these videos, just click the photo to play it.
  19. Replies
    Views

Tennessee Jed Electric Mandolin Lesson

Hey Folks,

Here is short lesson for the Grateful Dead's Tennessee Jed. It's a cool lick in the key of C that is based around two C major scale shapes that I move between.

I'm using my Steve...
  20. Replies
    Views

Pretty Instrumental Tunes

A local friend is starting an instrumental project. He's playing all the instruments on this project. This is Danny Ellison, with a sample of "Sally Ann" - I tried to embed the video, but not...
  21. Re: Flirting with the 5-string mandolin (again)

I love the five-string. Barely play anything else at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrSjrTLrA3Q
  22. Replies
    Views

My dream room is finally finished!

Hi folks,

It's me again, your friendly music teacher over in GA. In case you don't remember or you never saw these threads, I'm the one who you helped get the mando stand by donating to my Donors...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: The story behind Ashokan Farewell

I'm posting this to share a unique "take" on this by our previous fiddler, Tim Gathman. I'd never heard any one else double stop the melody the way he does...

24. Replies
    Views

The story behind Ashokan Farewell

This tune has been on the short list in the back of my mind as "one I want to learn"... so last week I scrounged up a really good PDF of it (thanks Mark Gunter for posting it on the web) and worked...
  25. Re: Sarah Jarosz and Parker Millsap at the Levitt-Shell in Memphi

Funny. My band was playing a gig at a downtown coffee shop, The Tamp & Tap, for their bluegrass brunch when we looked up and the bass player spotted Sarah and said something. The two guys with her...
Page 1 of 2 1 2