Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

I'm a long time lurker, not a regular poster. I think I'm pretty typical of a lot of people right now though. Wife and I are both working from home for the forseeable future. Thankfully both jobs are...
  2. Replies
    Views

Completed First Build

Finished my first mandolin build a little less than a week ago. Have been playing my fingers off since.

This started as an IV A-style kit. I ended up re-working almost every aspect of the kit. I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: In praise of solid body mandolins.

One word.... Bends

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Anyone Built a Cigar Box Mandolin?

I've built some Cigar box instruments, but not a CG Mandolin.

Some things that I've found make a much better instrument are to source the largest volume box possible as mentioned above, and then...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: My International Violin A-Style Build

Finally, this brings me to where I am now.

I currently have 10 coats of Mohawk Nitrocellulose on the instrument. I'm pretty happy with where the finish is going. I do wish I had grain filled...
  6. Replies
    Views

My International Violin A-Style Build

I was not originally going to document this, but decided to put up some photos and describe a bit of what I've done to build my kit.

Just a little detail on the front - I'm a fairly experienced...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Jerry Rosa & Rosa String Works

Really enjoy his stuff. I'm building an A-style from an IV kit right now, and I've learned much of what I'm doing from his videos.
  8. Replies
    Views

Sierra playing Mad World

I had not seen this posted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfEcw3_jzZw
  9. Replies
    Views

Cool Andrew Hendryx video

Check it out!

https://youtu.be/ZzPmSVKz2hM
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmonica Help,.. sorry, NMC

Spencer, if you plan on teaching them any blues or cross-harp, then there are basically few better resources than Adam Gussow's channel on YouTube. I've played for over 30 years, but have still...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Made my own nut....

Steve wins the prize. When I corrected the angle, the sitar sound went away.
  12. Replies
    Views

Made my own nut....

A year ago, I was given a nice 40 year old Aria 2 point mandolin. When I got it, I did a lot of work on the action to make it like I prefer it, working the bridge as well as the stock plastic nut to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull on Fender Mandocaster

Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/SierraHullMusic/videos/10154362952907942/
  14. Re: Post in this thread, get a chance to win a Cafe ball cap

Me head is balding
    My scalp is burning
    For this fine cap
    It's surely yearning
    So send one this way
    And send it quickly
    So this this baldpate
    Won't look burnt and sickly!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Trying to Improvise on the blues

Peter, thats what I do every time I play (improvise blues). I grew up loving and playing the blues on harmonica and guitar.

A few things I've learned....

- Jam tracks for harmonica are aimed...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie. Electric 5-String Octave vs Guitar

Coprhd/Alex, I'd highly suggest giving a standard 4 string e-mando a try. I've been playing mine over the past 2 years and enjoying the heck out of it. Like the suggestion above, I enjoy the fact...
  17. Re: Sir Paul Plays Cigarbox Tenor Guitar During 12-12-12 Concert

Too cool! I've been gathering up cigar boxes to make a tenor to go with the cigar box amps I've built up.... (and yes a cigar box emando as well).

Looks like the servers for both have been bombed...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: A new build ....most fun yet!

Too cool as always Pete. Love to see someone with skill who is not afraid to do something unusual!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Cigar Box Amplifier

Well, my brother-in-law liked my first amp so much that my wife asked me to make him one for his birthday. Different cigar box, but the tone is good. Frankly, everything fit a little more cleanly in...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Electric Tenor Guitar

Super cool Ed. Very jealous on many levels!!!!
  21. Thread: Hobbies

by Chinn
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hobbies

Jones, I mostly did 3d and pattern stuff. The Extreme Flight Chinn Yak is mine, as well as a few that used to be sold by Ohio Model Products and a couple indoor designs that were flown extensively at...
  22. Replies
    Views

Cigar Box Amplifier

Still in the quest for a small amplifier that I can enjoy with my emando, I have been looking for a while at cigar box amplifiers.

CBGitty is a common supplier of parts for these, and they supply...
  23. Thread: My Kay Mandolin

by Chinn
    Replies
    Views

Re: My Kay Mandolin

Thats a nice one Joni. I play a blonde Kay myself. I'm guessing mine was built in or around the mid-60's. I've enjoyed mine and I'm glad I've got it. Had it around 2 years now.

All that being...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Jerman wiring diagram

A quick update on this.

I've now played the new setup for approximately a week and I'm really liking it. There is more difference between the two stronger settings, and so I've been able to play...
  25. Replies
    Views

A Little Blues on the 4 string.....

I spent some time recently on Beale St. (Live and work down the street from it) and had to get some time in on my BluesBird. Couple that with the fact that I just installed a Jerman wiring harness in...
Page 1 of 2 1 2